Remembering Reagan on His 100th B'day!

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Letters
Ronald Reagan
In this letter to the American People, Reagan announces his Alzheimer's diagnosis.

I have recently been told that I am one of the Americans who will be afflicted with Alzheimer's Disease.

Upon learning this news, Nancy & I had to decide whether as private citizens we would keep this a private matter or whether we would make this news known in a public way.

In the past Nancy suffered from breast cancer and I had my cancer surgeries. We found through our open disclosures we were able to raise public awareness. We were happy that as a result many more people underwent testing. They were treated in early stages and able to return to normal, healthy lives.

So now, we feel it is important to share it with you. In opening our hearts, we hope this might promote greater awareness of this condition. Perhaps it will encourage a clearer understanding of the individuals and families who are affected by it.

At the moment I feel just fine. I intend to live the remainder of the years God gives me on this earth doing the things I have always done. I will continue to share life's journey with my beloved Nancy and my family. I plan to enjoy the great outdoors and stay in touch with my friends and supporters.

Unfortunately, as Alzheimer's Disease progresses, the family often bears a heavy burden. I only wish there was some way I could spare Nancy from this painful experience. When the time comes I am confident that with your help she will face it with faith and courage.

In closing let me thank you, the American people for giving me the great honor of allowing me to serve as your President. When the Lord calls me home, (sic) whenever that may be I will face it with the greatest love for this country of ours and eternal optimism for its future.

I now begin the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life. I know that for America there will always be a bright dawn ahead.
Thank you, my friends. May God always bless you.

Sincerely,
39_sign.gif

Ronald Reagan

The above letter is reproduced exactly as written and was obtained through the archives at the Ronald W. Reagan Presidential Library & Museum.

wkmac

David Stockman himself responded to LRC concerning the above posted Rothbard piece:

Reagan’s Phony Revolution

Posted by Lew Rockwell on February 5, 2011 11:20 AM
Writes David Stockman:
Thanks for reprinting Murray Rothbard’s classic take-down of the “Reagan Revolution.” With the passage of time, the mythology only gets amplified—so people need to be reminded about the truth. I took a modest crack at this in the attached interview in which I reminded readers that the Reagan Revolution was a Lincoln Day Dinner speech! It never actually happened in the real world of fiscal policy. And as you might recall, program after program was saved by stalwart conservatives like Jesse Helms, Ed Meese, etc.

bbsam

Staff member
Damn shame that stem-cell research could have helped President Reagan and eased things on Nancy.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Damn shame that stem-cell research could have helped President Reagan and eased things on Nancy.

Before anyone gets excited, there are two kinds of stem cells, embryonic and adult stem cells.
This is not the place to open a stem cell debate.
I watch this subject carefully, I have a vested interest in stem cell use to replace/repair brain cell's. (multiple sclerosis)
The jury is out if stem cell therapy would have made a difference in Ronald Reagan's progressive type of Alzheimer's Disease.

I refuse to give up hope that perhaps someday, we will have a cure/answer for devastating disease's such as Alzheimer's, ALS, MS, Parkinson's and more.

rod

Retired 22 years

Before anyone gets excited, there are two kinds of stem cells, embryonic and adult stem cells.
I watch this subject carefully, I have a vested interest in stem cell use to replace/repair brain cell's. (multiple sclerosis)
The jury is out if stem cell therapy would have made a difference in Ronald Reagan's progressive type of Alzheimer's Disease.

I refuse to give up hope that perhaps someday, we will have a cure/answer for devastating disease's such as Alzheimer's, ALS, MS, Parkinson's and more.

Why not? We have a wealth of knowledge available (pulse a couple of know it alls).

wkmac

Yesterday I had my fun but today is the actual 100th B'day of Ronald Reagan. In 1980' I walked into the voting booth and gladly pulled the lever for Reagan. Now history tells the rest of the story but a lot of us did so because of a speech given that in effect started it all. I also think it sad so many of you who think Reagan paved the golden path never once yesterday referenced this speech an used it as counterpoint.

So in honor of Reagan and the old Reagan I remember, I dedicate this to his memory.

bbsam

Staff member

Not going to debate at all. I have no doubt that cures can be found. NPR had a doctor on "Science Friday" discussing the progress that's been made in getting adult stem cells to behave like embryonic stem cells. I'm simply saying we've wasted alot of time, money and lives in the last 20 years to get to this point. That's not even from a know it all.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I watched the celebration in Simi Valley....speech by Gary Sinese, Jim Baker and Mrs. Reagan. Proud to be an American sung by Lee and did anyone notice that the girl who sang America the Beautiful was outdoors and wearing a sleeveless dress?? Not that I'm rubbing it in or anything. Just sayin' It was a nice tribute.