Rental truck company?

Wondering if it's possible to start a rental truck company and rent to other contractors just as penske and budget do . Management has told me as long as the company has a dot number it's permitted. Rental fleet insurance seems hard to obtain . Any info any of you guys have would be great im sure this has been discussed in another terminal .

bacha29

Wondering if it's possible to start a rental truck company and rent to other contractors just as penske and budget do . Management has told me as long as the company has a dot number it's permitted. Rental fleet insurance seems hard to obtain . Any info any of you guys have would be great im sure this has been discussed in another terminal .
Better off selling drugs. At least you'll be assured of 3 hots and a cot.

vantexan

Is it possible for contractors to pool their resources to purchase extra trucks to have spares available? Whoever needs a truck pays the group a daily rate to offset expenses. At the very least it would be fun to see the alarm bells go off when you organize.

bbsam

Staff member
Is it possible for contractors to pool their resources to purchase extra trucks to have spares available? Whoever needs a truck pays the group a daily rate to offset expenses. At the very least it would be fun to see the alarm bells go off when you organize.
We rent trucks to each other all the time.

bacha29

The infighting would be ceaseless and bitter especially if two contractor's are in urgent need of the one and only available truck Every contractor must now acquire and maintain assets both human and mechanical sufficient to service all of his volume on a daily basis during times of both high and low volume. Doing so is costly especially if you have trucks and people sitting around with nothing to do for day's at a time but that's the game now. Allowing other contractors to leech off of your inventory simply because they don't want to have to carry the additional overhead seeking instead to pocket the savings is setting both of you up for failure.

STFXG

It’s not that difficult to set up. Trucks have to be in the other companies name. Have to have your own operating authority for vehicles over 10k. You can find insurance policies that only cover the trucks the days they are operated. You don’t need the high coverage required under the contract since your current policy covers rental trucks Then just have to carry a rental agreement. It’s a nice way around vehicle imaging standards. Just write a new rental agreement every 30 days.

bbsam

Staff member
The infighting would be ceaseless and bitter especially if two contractor's are in urgent need of the one and only available truck Every contractor must now acquire and maintain assets both human and mechanical sufficient to service all of his volume on a daily basis during times of both high and low volume. Doing so is costly especially if you have trucks and people sitting around with nothing to do for day's at a time but that's the game now. Allowing other contractors to leech off of your inventory simply because they don't want to have to carry the additional overhead seeking instead to pocket the savings is setting both of you up for failure.
You have an interesting fantasy of how contractors are out to screw each other and/or themselves.

bacha29

You have an interesting fantasy of how contractors are out to screw each other and/or themselves.
I once allowed the terminal to use my spare truck for a Saturday HD overflow.. Their temp driver was out with it trying to get the way too many stops and miles covered hammered down blew the engine made it back to the terminal . I found out about it 2 days later when I started it up . Knew better than to bring the matter before management Now let's say you rent one of yours to a contractor and the same thing happens. Or he takes it out and totals it and let's just suppose it's discovered later that it had an unknown defect existed and that defect is alleged to be a contributing factor in the accident.

So guess who has to eat it and smile? Nope, all you need to do is to make sure that you have enough assets under your control to meet your contractual obligations. If the contractor's do the same then everyone will be in a more secure position.

Thank you stfxg I'm currently on pace to spend 200,000 this year in rentals. I' m one contractor in my building in north carolina out of probably 60 . Others in my building tend to rent excessively as well All this money could be going to a rental company i own and me benefiting . The point you made about getting around having to decal the trucks is definitely a perk to me . I spend anywhere from 350 to 400 a week on a rental and I could buy the same truck with a 700 payment so I know I'm losing in that sense but that's just the way in doing it now . Paying all the salaries of college degree guys at local big make rental companies.

It will be fine

Thank you stfxg I'm currently on pace to spend 200,000 this year in rentals. I' m one contractor in my building in north carolina out of probably 60 . Others in my building tend to rent excessively as well All this money could be going to a rental company i own and me benefiting . The point you made about getting around having to decal the trucks is definitely a perk to me . I spend anywhere from 350 to 400 a week on a rental and I could buy the same truck with a 700 payment so I know I'm losing in that sense but that's just the way in doing it now . Paying all the salaries of college degree guys at local big make rental companies.
I’ve heard of contractors just setting up a Uhaul franchise to rent to themselves and other contractors. My mechanic has a deal with Penske so he always has a handful of those around. I just watch for decent deals at auctions to use for extra spares. Buy em for cash, no sense taking on debt right now.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I’ve heard of contractors just setting up a Uhaul franchise to rent to themselves and other contractors. My mechanic has a deal with Penske so he always has a handful of those around. I just watch for decent deals at auctions to use for extra spares. Buy em for cash, no sense taking on debt right now.

I bet the ones from the auction are sweet

It will be fine

The ones I see at auction would cost more than they are worth just to get road worthy
Ground has different standards of road worthy. But I’ve gotten some that aren’t too bad, low mileage but old. Just got a 2002 freightliner with 40k miles for $5k. It’s only a p500, but after a couple grand to get it back in shape it’s not a bad truck. Can’t use it for a full route but it’s nice for clean up.

bacha29

Ground has different standards of road worthy. But I’ve gotten some that aren’t too bad, low mileage but old. Just got a 2002 freightliner with 40k miles for $5k. It’s only a p500, but after a couple grand to get it back in shape it’s not a bad truck. Can’t use it for a full route but it’s nice for clean up.
Quite a change from days gone by when you couldn't put on the road anything more than 3 years old.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Ugh I hate it when they loan the truck to someone who doesn't respect other people's property.

Took a personal day off this week & next day I walk to my designated boxtruck to see what the previous driver has done...
sketch-1527985232915.png

images.jpeg

Sigh, another thing I have to replace over my weekend off...

& a few months ago, I took my week LWOP

To come back to this:

sketch-1527985325512.png

Still no plans to get an alignment of the affected side yet, so the subcontractor will burn another tire in a few months

bacha29

Ugh I hate it when they loan the truck to someone who doesn't respect other people's property.

Took a personal day off this week & next day I walk to my designated boxtruck to see what the previous driver has done...
View attachment 195838

View attachment 195839

Sigh, another thing I have to replace over my weekend off...

& a few months ago, I took my week LWOP

To come back to this:

View attachment 195840

Still no plans to get an alignment of the affected side yet, so the subcontractor will burn another tire in a few months
He doesn't care, therefore if you want to continue working for this guy then you'll have to fall back to the two basic rules of Fedex operation. Rule number one: the dumber you act, the less they expect from you......... Rule number two:......don't fix it when it's broke.....fix it when it quits running.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Your example of what a driver did to your engine is worse... sorry to hear that.

I need a reliable vehicle in my rural area, since I'm on my own after 2000 hour rolls around.

The good news is the new BC is tweaking everyone's WADs so it's more even in terms of not staying out until close to midnight everyday... single system is now pushed back to the end of the month.

I can handle that simple fix, while he looks over the routes to finally have a balanced day

Done before dark, 1900... so I'm not complaining, just an observation of other crappy HD drivers out there.

Look at the other thread where a driver tops up the brake fluid level! U are not supposed to do that, it's an indication that the brake pads are thinning out, or in some cases, a leak at the caliper or wheel cylinder of a drum system