rentals

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Why has Express been using rentals since peak 2009?

Good question. Most of us suspect that FedEx doesn't want to invest in new vehicles because they will try and shift some of the Express product line over to lower-cost Ground. The official reason is that "we are saving money", but a lot of us aren't buying it.

vantexan

Good question. Most of us suspect that FedEx doesn't want to invest in new vehicles because they will try and shift some of the Express product line over to lower-cost Ground. The official reason is that "we are saving money", but a lot of us aren't buying it.

Either that, or part-timers will handle P1 dels, then bring back trucks for FTers to do SO and pups. Express is still the biggest division by far and I don't think Ground has the capacity to take on E-2 and Express Saver. I'm not seeing Ground contractors being required to add new drivers and vehicles. That will be the big indicator if that's the direction they're going.

UPSBluRdg03

Unrelated but how does Fed Ex treat their tractor trailer drivers? Are they considered Independents as well? I notice they arendt in uniform and all run sleeper cab tractors. What kind of pay and such do they receive?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Unrelated but how does Fed Ex treat their tractor trailer drivers? Are they considered Independents as well? I notice they arendt in uniform and all run sleeper cab tractors. What kind of pay and such do they receive?

They treat their Express RTD's like the couriers, which is to say not very well. I cannot speak to the issue of Ground tractor-trailer drivers except to state that they are owner-operators.

UPSBluRdg03

Im most curious about the ground "feeder" drivers, as we like to call them. So do the Express RTD's have the same pay scale and top out times as the couriers?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Im most curious about the ground "feeder" drivers, as we like to call them. So do the Express RTD's have the same pay scale and top out times as the couriers?

Ground feeder drivers are O/O's as I said, and I don't know how they're compensated. but it's probably by the mile. Judging from the tractors they drive, it must be fairly profitable. The Express RTD's are in a different classification (dispatchers and ramp agents) than couriers, so they make slightly more per hour, but the top-out times are the same. In other words, they get hosed just like couriers. A new Express RTD in my area starts at around $18 per hour and will take 20 years to top-out. I used to be a FedEx RTD and can say from direct experience that the UPS feeder job and the FedEx Express RTD job are just about the same. Most of the positions now are PT, and getting FT is tough. I know of several RTD's who have dropped back to courier just to get enough hours to survive.

UPSBluRdg03

Gotcha. Yea the ground O/O's must make more than the couriers cause they do have some decent and new equipment. I figured the Express RTD drove the truck a few hours and then went over to the airport and hopped in a plane to get the rest of his time.:wink2: