Reporting ups for egress issues

Brownt10

The company is doing nothing regarding egress & the union only grieves it but not enough is getting done. I’m worried that there could be a real scenario where we need to evacuate the building & might have trouble. What can I do? Can I go to my local fire department & report them? Who can I contact at OSHA?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
The company is doing nothing regarding egress & the union only grieves it but not enough is getting done. I’m worried that there could be a real scenario where we need to evacuate the building & might have trouble. What can I do? Can I go to my local fire department & report them? Who can I contact at OSHA?
Wait until all hell breaks loose and all the aisles are blocked then call the fire department

DVIR

I remember when i was on preload a box burst into flames. The belts were slammed and the whole building evacuated. The center manager did not call the fire department and put the fire out with a hose. Lmfao

rod

Retired 22 years
I remember times when the trucks were parked so close they rubbed against each other, packages were stacked to the tops of the trucks so you couldn't get through to the cab and some trucks even had boxes thrown on top of them and the belt was so stacked up with boxes they were hitting the sort lights. We didn't cry-- we laughed it off and watched the big CRUSH happen. That was back when men were men

PT Car Washer

I remember times when the trucks were parked so close they rubbed against each other, packages were stacked to the tops of the trucks so you couldn't get through to the cab and some trucks even had boxes thrown on top of them and the belt was so stacked up with boxes they were hitting the sort lights. We didn't cry-- we laughed it off and watched the big CRUSH happen. That was back when men were men
That was last Friday.

Nah
What happens if and when this "one way out" is blocked by fire, smoke, flood, active shooter, etc....???

That's why two ways out is required.
I was always trained that you maintain one way out at all times. If I'm wrong, my trainers were wrong. I just want to know which regulations say it's two ways and not one.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I was always trained that you maintain one way out at all times. If I'm wrong, my trainers were wrong. I just want to know which regulations say it's two ways and not one.

More is better. Minimum is two, always shoot for at least medium code to
make-it-right.jpg

Back From Break
I just want to know which regulations say it's two ways and not one.

1910.36(b)(1)

Two exit routes. At least two exit routes must be available in a workplace to permit prompt evacuation of employees and other building occupants during an emergency, except as allowed in paragraph (b)(3) of this section. The exit routes must be located as far away as practical from each other so that if one exit route is blocked by fire or smoke, employees can evacuate using the second exit route.

1910.36(b)(2)

More than two exit routes. More than two exit routes must be available in a workplace if the number of employees, the size of the building, its occupancy, or the arrangement of the workplace is such that all employees would not be able to evacuate safely during an emergency.

1910.36(b)(3)

A single exit route. A single exit route is permitted where the number of employees, the size of the building, its occupancy, or the arrangement of the workplace is such that all employees would be able to evacuate safely during an emergency.

Note to paragraph (b) of this section: For assistance in determining the number of exit routes necessary for your workplace, consult NFPA 101-2009, Life Safety Code, or IFC- 2009, International Fire Code (incorporated by reference, see § 1910.6).

1910.36(g)(2)

An exit access must be at least 28 inches (71.1 center manager) wide at all points. Where there is only one exit access leading to an exit or exit discharge, the width of the exit and exit discharge must be at least equal to the width of the exit access.

Last edited:

quad decade guy

Yes and yes.

Local Fire Marshall. Tell (it) (can't assume male or other) when this occurs....Marshall getting there at 14:00 isn't going to help as they'll look around and say "no problem here....".

OSHA....file on the Hotline.

Now.....reality.

Whatever operation you are in, that's the way it is. Guaranteed......that's how it will be long after you are gone. It has developed however it is over time based on the design of the facility and nature of what you are doing. I promise that will not change.

Now.......safety? Well, nothing will happen until a tragedy occurs....they are rare......and then things will settle right back to the way they were. With nary a word said.

Mgt. is WELL aware of how unsafe, crowded whatever else is happening. Whatever it takes for productivity. Your safety is somewhere in the mix but NEVER 1st and always weighed against cost.

In my 40 years......shaming of Mgt. is usually the only way to effect change. Depending how secure you feel in your position......you can be very vocal and make Mgt. very angry, perhaps causing change(being very clear that this NOT a reason to NOT take action)......or be clandestine and more anonymous.....ever poked a yellow jacket nest? They take great exception.

I have shown and proved that persistence(time and pressure) can cause change and improvements(safety as well as productivity).

Be aware that you will meet great resistance from Mgt., employees and the Union as well as any outside authority. Yes, your fellow employees can be your biggest hazard(reinforced and encouraged by the Union)(up to and including violence). This attitude is on full display on BC. Being noble and all that is commendable.....be aware it can and often has unintended consequences. Pick what hill you are willing to die on.......carefully.