Republicans war on unions marches forward

bbsam

Staff member
I remember when the fight was in Wisconsin. Back then many of the Teamsters here insisted that it was only public sector unions. What do y'all think now? I'll say it again. The elected republicans in this country would LOVE TO BREAK ALL UNIONS PUBLIC AND PRIVATE.

vantexan

Over protesters’ angry chants, Michigan lawmakers give final approval to right-to-work bills - The Washington Post

People here have reminded me repeatedly that Obama won the election so he can do what he wants. Well, the duly elected Republicans control the state government of Michigan so I guess the people of Michigan have spoken. Just love those two way streets. By the way this doesn't kill unions, just allows people to work without being forced to join a union or pay dues. If the majority of the workforce believes in unions the unions will stay strong. But the fact is that the strongest state economies in the U.S. are Right to Work states, and people in states who've been hammered hard by the economy are noticing.

vantexan

I remember when the fight was in Wisconsin. Back then many of the Teamsters here insisted that it was only public sector unions. What do y'all think now? I'll say it again. The elected republicans in this country would LOVE TO BREAK ALL UNIONS PUBLIC AND PRIVATE.

And P.S. you make your money participating in possibly the biggest workaround of employee pay and benefits in the entire country. Seems you ought to be demanding FedEx give you enough to cover $20hr and heathy bennies for your work crew.

bbsam

Staff member
And P.S. you make your money participating in possibly the biggest workaround of employee pay and benefits in the entire country. Seems you ought to be demanding FedEx give you enough to cover $20hr and heathy bennies for your work crew.
Nice try. I do the best I can on the landscape given. You want to tilt the landscape further against workers. I will acede to that demand and pay accordingly. Your political leanings may make it such that one day a whole generation of retirees moves south of the border and drives up prices so that you cannot afford to live there either.

bbsam

Staff member
People here have reminded me repeatedly that Obama won the election so he can do what he wants. Well, the duly elected Republicans control the state government of Michigan so I guess the people of Michigan have spoken. Just love those two way streets. By the way this doesn't kill unions, just allows people to work without being forced to join a union or pay dues. If the majority of the workforce believes in unions the unions will stay strong. But the fact is that the strongest state economies in the U.S. are Right to Work states, and people in states who've been hammered hard by the economy are noticing.
If people insist, I will pay less.

vantexan

Nice try. I do the best I can on the landscape given. You want to tilt the landscape further against workers. I will acede to that demand and pay accordingly. Your political leanings may make it such that one day a whole generation of retirees moves south of the border and drives up prices so that you cannot afford to live there either.

Not where I'm heading. And I'm all for companies paying reasonable pay with good benefits. Unions have a long history of demanding more than companies can afford and we've all seen how that turned out. I think the current top out at FedEx is fair, but unfair for mid-range employees trying to get there. Even so we have it much better than Ground. And if you are truly worried about the state of unions you would stick your neck out for your employees, or reduce your pay to pay them better. As folks here say, you'll just have to learn to live with a lower profit margin. I wonder if you'd still be interested in running your enterprise if the profit incentive was taken away?

bbsam

Staff member
Not where I'm heading. And I'm all for companies paying reasonable pay with good benefits. Unions have a long history of demanding more than companies can afford and we've all seen how that turned out. I think the current top out at FedEx is fair, but unfair for mid-range employees trying to get there. Even so we have it much better than Ground. And if you are truly worried about the state of unions you would stick your neck out for your employees, or reduce your pay to pay them better. As folks here say, you'll just have to learn to live with a lower profit margin. I wonder if you'd still be interested in running your enterprise if the profit incentive was taken away?
And if there were a union, I would probably have to. Since there is not, well, I almost feel like I should thank-you van. And lets not kid ourselves. There is only so much I can get from the company in negotiations and they do not see fit that I should afford such pay scales. Besides, I have my eye on a sweet new Mustang. Dearborn made, soon to be done so by scab labor. Don't think that will drive down price though. Companies can have end of year discounts of thousands of dollars and still make a decent profit. Why do you think that is.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

And if there were a union, I would probably have to. Since there is not, well, I almost feel like I should thank-you van. And lets not kid ourselves. There is only so much I can get from the company in negotiations and they do not see fit that I should afford such pay scales. Besides, I have my eye on a sweet new Mustang. Dearborn made, soon to be done so by scab labor. Don't think that will drive down price though. Companies can have end of year discounts of thousands of dollars and still make a decent profit. Why do you think that is.

I know here in Texas, the dealers pay taxes on inventory by the year model and a couple other factors, and the longer they sit, the more taxes are owed for the year.

vantexan

But you can still reduce your compensation to pay your workers more. Just take what you pay them now, obviously that's enough. The appreciation you'll receive will more than make up for your less pay.

vantexan

That's part of it. Remember the unions agreed to pay cuts for the bailout. Prices didn't go down.

But they were losing money to the point of bankruptcy before the bailout. You make it sound as if the unions were coerced into taking cuts so that profits can remain high. And the unions got part ownership per the bailout too.

bbsam

Staff member
But they were losing money to the point of bankruptcy before the bailout. You make it sound as if the unions were coerced into taking cuts so that profits can remain high. And the unions got part ownership per the bailout too.

and what happens to that ownership as unions lose all their powe over the next 15 years? What happens when nearly every state is RTW to the teamsters at UPS?I wonder if this changes 2013negotiations.