Required to work Saturday?

laffter

The building I work in has a Mon-Fri and a Tue-Sat preload shift.

This past Wednesday, a member of management walked around with a steward to advise us that after Thanksgiving, and for the remainder of peak, everyone is required to work Mon-Sat. The steward we've had for many years up until recently... isn't around anymore. I don't know the details of that. Another guy took his place (I'll call him Stew A), but when that guy isn't around, this other dude is the acting steward (I'll call him Stew B).

A month or two ago, this same thing happened, but the supervisor had Stew A with him. I approached Stew A after the shift and asked him if the union actually supported the Saturday work requirement. He said no. I didn't show up, and that's that.

This past Wednesday, when the supervisor was walking around with Stew B, I asked Stew B if the union was supporting this new mandatory work day. He told me something like, "we were told to do as the company says".

Which one of the following is true?

a) The IBT has lost its collective mind and I should no longer give them my money
b) Stew B is on the take
c) Stew B is on drugs

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
I am in the southern and as far as I have always been told they can not force you a 6th report. I have never worked a 6th report.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

They tried to get me to work a six day punch for months during the lockdowns. They threatened punishment, they told me I’m “required” every trick in the book. I never showed for one and nothing was done even though our local told us to go. They lose their backbone during peak too. Management and the union just put themselves in the grey area and never give a straight answer. I’ve seen some guys disciplined for not showing and some not during peak. This is my first peak as a full timer, I’m not coming in the Saturdays after Christmas and New Years and I’m not coming in New Year’s Eve, that’s an air day for part timers. If they hassle me about it I’ll just call off.

AllOnTheHorses

Last year, manager told us Tues-Sat folk that Monday was mandatory for peak. I went to HR and was told that they cannot force us to come in Monday.
I have another job so I was stressed about the situation.

So now, my building did same as you describe, handed out sheet on Wed. before Thanksgiving.
Not sure anymore what to do..no HR..and I dont trust our union to have teeth.
20201125_093429.jpg

Last edited:

AllOnTheHorses

Thanks, Leaveit2griever.
For us in preload the terms are not spelled out so clearly to me..though I did find this in the supplement to Southern's contract.
This seems to back up the stance that 6 reports are not enforceable for us.

Attachments

• 20201127_180116.jpg
    20201127_180116.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 99

pkgdriver

Last year, manager told us Tues-Sat folk that Monday was mandatory for peak. I went to HR and was told that they cannot force us to come in Monday.
I have another job so I was stressed about the situation.

So now, my building did same as you describe, handed out sheet on Wed. before Thanksgiving.
Not sure anymore what to do..no HR..and I dont trust our union to have teeth.View attachment 319208
SATRUDAY....Twice.....Nice Spelling

Undertow

The building I work in has a Mon-Fri and a Tue-Sat preload shift.

This past Wednesday, a member of management walked around with a steward to advise us that after Thanksgiving, and for the remainder of peak, everyone is required to work Mon-Sat. The steward we've had for many years up until recently... isn't around anymore. I don't know the details of that. Another guy took his place (I'll call him Stew A), but when that guy isn't around, this other dude is the acting steward (I'll call him Stew B).

A month or two ago, this same thing happened, but the supervisor had Stew A with him. I approached Stew A after the shift and asked him if the union actually supported the Saturday work requirement. He said no. I didn't show up, and that's that.

This past Wednesday, when the supervisor was walking around with Stew B, I asked Stew B if the union was supporting this new mandatory work day. He told me something like, "we were told to do as the company says".

Which one of the following is true?

a) The IBT has lost its collective mind and I should no longer give them my money
b) Stew B is on the take
c) Stew B is on drugs
Perhaps "Stew B's" real name is Dennis Taylor.