Required to work Saturday?

iruhnman630

Last year, manager told us Tues-Sat folk that Monday was mandatory for peak. I went to HR and was told that they cannot force us to come in Monday.
I have another job so I was stressed about the situation.

So now, my building did same as you describe, handed out sheet on Wed. before Thanksgiving.
Not sure anymore what to do..no HR..and I dont trust our union to have teeth.View attachment 319208
This SatRuday was....interesting.

And yes, we all worked

WorknLateHuh

I've been driving for 15 years. Every year the push to work Saturdays gets worse. There is no specific language where i'm at for a 6th punch. Last year i simply didn't call or bother showing when forced and nothing came of it. This year the BA is telling us to call out. So it's like rolling the dice everytime you don't call out whether or not they pursue disciplining you.

We didn't sign up for Tues-Sat work. Really frustrating. Before you know it they will try to force random Saturdays during random times during the year.

Loxx

Part time preload in South CA local 396 and they're making us work Saturdays too. Pretty sure we can tell them no if so inclined, according to the Western Supplemental, Article 20, Section 3, part a.

But most people in the building don't know they have to post the schedule for the next week on the prior Friday even.

Cloud

I've been driving for 15 years. Every year the push to work Saturdays gets worse. There is no specific language where i'm at for a 6th punch. Last year i simply didn't call or bother showing when forced and nothing came of it. This year the BA is telling us to call out. So it's like rolling the dice everytime you don't call out whether or not they pursue disciplining you.

We didn't sign up for Tues-Sat work. Really frustrating. Before you know it they will try to force random Saturdays during random times during the year.
There's no grounds for them to discipline Mon-Fri people for not working on Saturday. In the national agreement, it spells it out that it was not for the company to be able to force seniority drivers to work on a weekend. They can ask for volunteers, but they can't force. It they do try to discipline, you are in the right to grieve it.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
You know a strange thing used to happen in my center when full time drivers were told to come in on a Saturday.
There was a rash of "I have to take my wife to the hospital " calls made.

542thruNthru

The only language about 6th or 7th punch is that 6th is 1.5x (OT) and 7th is 2x (DT) but we don't work on Sundays here so not sure how anybody could even get a 7th punch.
I believe what @BigUnionGuy is trying to say is. If your contract has language about 6th and 7th day work and pay rates you can be forced in.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Part time preload in South CA local 396 and they're making us work Saturdays too. Pretty sure we can tell them no if so inclined, according to the Western Supplemental, Article 20, Section 3, part a.

But most people in the building don't know they have to post the schedule for the next week on the prior Friday even.
Good luck with that. I'm guessing you haven't talked to your steward or BA about this.

Cloud

I believe what @BigUnionGuy is trying to say is. If you contract has language about 6th and 7th day work and pay rates you can be forced in.
Is that really true?

I mean the other avenue that's probably gonna happen is that people will hit 60 hrs by the 5th punch anyways so then it becomes a "see you next week" kinda thing.

542thruNthru

Is that really true?

I mean the other avenue that's probably gonna happen is that people will hit 60 hrs by the 5th punch anyways so then it becomes a "see you next week" kinda thing.
I don't know where you are but... I'm sure day after Thanksgiving is a holiday for you correct? Did Driver's have to work it?

Also 60 hours by the end of of the 5th punch won't help you when it goes to 70 hours. 62.1 hours by the end of the 5th punch will help you though.

Cloud

I don't know where you are but... I'm sure day after Thanksgiving is a holiday for you correct? Did Driver's have to work it?

Also 60 hours by the end of of the 5th punch won't help you when it goes to 70 hours. 62.1 hours by the end of the 5th punch will help you though.
Yeah black friday is a holiday. 8 hr paid whether you work or not. But every veteran driver is coming in for sure for that DT pay in addition to that 8 hr holiday pay.

There's just so much grey area regarding forced-ins. And I think it was probably by design. They know that accident rates go way up past normal overtime hours but don't want to explicitly spell out what they can and cannot do during peak.

542thruNthru

Yeah black friday is a holiday. 8 hr paid whether you work or not. But every veteran driver is coming in for sure for that DT pay in addition to that 8 hr holiday pay.

There's just so much grey area regarding forced-ins. And I think it was probably by design. They know that accident rates go way up past normal overtime hours but don't want to explicitly spell out what they can and cannot do during peak.
My point is were driver's forced in on Friday to work?

I'm only guessing at what BUG was getting at but the way it's been explained to me is the company has a right to run it's operations and as the sole bargaining unit we are the only ones they can use to run it.

Our contracts have pay language for working a holiday the same as they have pay language for a 6th and 7th day punch. Unless your supplemental contract specifically says you can not be forced in. You're at the mercy of the company but will be paid accordingly.

Nah
Last year, manager told us Tues-Sat folk that Monday was mandatory for peak. I went to HR and was told that they cannot force us to come in Monday.
I have another job so I was stressed about the situation.

So now, my building did same as you describe, handed out sheet on Wed. before Thanksgiving.
Not sure anymore what to do..no HR..and I dont trust our union to have teeth.View attachment 319208

But what's the start time for Saturday?