Resignation

I’m currently in a situation where I must resign. I just returned from a seven month leave during the beginning of peak season. I’m 19 and live with my family and they need me home during the day as Amazons peak season has started very aggressively and the usual person here to collect my younger siblings from school won’t be around.

Even though this job has been a pain in the ass, I’ve grown to love the people I work with and the work I do. It’s very hard to make the decision. Is anyone in the forum familiar with the rehire policy, and how I should go about resign on such short notice with the possibility of rehire?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I’m currently in a situation where I must resign. I just returned from a seven month leave during the beginning of peak season. I’m 19 and live with my family and they need me home during the day as Amazons peak season has started very aggressively and the usual person here to collect my younger siblings from school won’t be around.

Even though this job has been a pain in the ass, I’ve grown to love the people I work with and the work I do. It’s very hard to make the decision. Is anyone in the forum familiar with the rehire policy, and how I should go about resign on such short notice with the possibility of rehire?
Give 2 weeks notice and you won’t have any trouble getting rehired

542thruNthru

Have you spoke with your BA to make sure their isn't anything else you can do? Like maybe changing shifts to a later shift?

Poop Head

Judge me.

Thank you for your service.

quad decade guy

Just curious....why don't your adult parents take care of their own kids?

Yolo

UPS isn't going to want to rehire someone who needed 7 months of leave. Regardless of the reasoning. What time are you collecting the kids from school? 2-3pm? If you want to continue to work at UPS just don't quit and find a way to make it work..

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.

Throw the kids on the short bus 🚌

UPS isn't going to want to rehire someone who needed 7 months of leave. Regardless of the reasoning. What time are you collecting the kids from school? 2-3pm? If you want to continue to work at UPS just don't quit and find a way to make it work..
Thank you for your input, I was on leave to get treatment for a congenital spinal stenosis. I bust my ass getting to work everyday without a vehicle, catching a ride as close to the city as possible, I live 60 miles from the hub. I rely on public transit, because I’ve tried, applying elsewhere but none of the postings rural or urban intend to hire anyone.

I got this job a week after graduation in height of the pandemic scare. The people I’ve worked with and the work I’ve done have been therapeutic to a racing mind and I hold it dearly. To answer other questions in this thread, my siblings and I were adopted by my late grandmother who passed earlier this year. The remaining caretakers are my aunt and her husband who work full time, unbeknownst to me, their support bailed on them during my sort, leaving my siblings to be held at their school districts transport department after school for over an hour as they had no one to collect them from the bus stop. We work hard to take care of them, and provide anything and everything we possibly can. I’m 19 and my Aunt is 28 without children of her own. We are basically in the shoes of new parents but to the person asking why their grown parent aren’t taking care of their own kids, fear not the children are taken care of as best as physically possible.

I am the only one who can sacrifice my employment without majorly affecting our household as most of my contributions are toward supplies. I’ve thought of every other possibility but regardless of a possible shift change I wouldn’t be able to make my shifts. If my future at UPS is not existent, then that’s unfortunate, there are future opportunities.

Thank you all for your help. I have submitted my resignation. sorry for this post, I wanted some insight, I was a bit stressed about leaving a chapter behind.

542thruNthru

Thank you for your input, I was on leave to get treatment for a congenital spinal stenosis. I bust my ass getting to work everyday without a vehicle, catching a ride as close to the city as possible, I live 60 miles from the hub. I rely on public transit, because I’ve tried, applying elsewhere but none of the postings rural or urban intend to hire anyone.

I got this job a week after graduation in height of the pandemic scare. The people I’ve worked with and the work I’ve done have been therapeutic to a racing mind and I hold it dearly. To answer other questions in this thread, my siblings and I were adopted by my late grandmother who passed earlier this year. The remaining caretakers are my aunt and her husband who work full time, unbeknownst to me, their support bailed on them during my sort, leaving my siblings to be held at their school districts transport department after school for over an hour as they had no one to collect them from the bus stop. We work hard to take care of them, and provide anything and everything we possibly can. I’m 19 and my Aunt is 28 without children of her own. We are basically in the shoes of new parents but to the person asking why their grown parent aren’t taking care of their own kids, fear not the children are taken care of as best as physically possible.

I am the only one who can sacrifice my employment without majorly affecting our household as most of my contributions are toward supplies. I’ve thought of every other possibility but regardless of a possible shift change I wouldn’t be able to make my shifts. If my future at UPS is not existent, then that’s unfortunate, there are future opportunities.

Thank you all for your help. I have submitted my resignation. sorry for this post, I wanted some insight, I was a bit stressed about leaving a chapter behind.
Good luck to you. Hope it all works out.

PPH_over_9000

Best of luck, @packageslave !

Hopefully you're leaving on a good note and will be able to reapply some time in the future, if you choose to do so. Sounds like you've been between a rock and a hard place and those decisions are always the toughest to make.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

Best, pal

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

You can take family leave. Due to your circumstances they may consider rehire. I took 3 familiy leaves in my career. 1st was 3 months, 2nd was 4 months and the 3rd was 5 months. Of course you do not keep medical over the allotted time and have to go to COBRA.

In my case they did not terminate me due to our family circumstances. It is ultimately up to management and they go on a case by case basis.

In your leave time you may be able to find alternatives to your family issue.

542thruNthru

You can take family leave. Due to your circumstances they may consider rehire. I took 3 familiy leaves in my career. 1st was 3 months, 2nd was 4 months and the 3rd was 5 months. Of course you do not keep medical over the allotted time and have to go to COBRA.

In my case they did not terminate me due to our family circumstances. It is ultimately up to management and they go on a case by case basis.

In your leave time you may be able to find alternatives to your family issue.
Sorry but I don't think you have a clue what FMLA is.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.

What you going to do for income now? You must live in the damn boonies if you’re 60 miles from nearest ups building