Retire already!

H

HelloWorld

I am a PT sorter. I want to be a FT Driver. When will all you boomers be retiring? Our center "wait" is 6-7 years right now, but I am hoping some of you are on the verge of living the life.

In all seriousness, I am looking forward to the day I am outside of the hub. Talking with an on-car sup friend, he said the wait time should go down as we are entering that zone of retirees. Does this seem to be the case in your area? I know a lot of you are FT ballers.. but for the PT peons, are you holding onto hope it will be sooner rather than later?

RESPECT for all UPS workers and management. The vast array of bull:censored2:, hard work, and beyond is not something I could have imagined prior to working here.

Nimnim

The Nim
I think my hub opened in the early 80s putting lots of FT people close the retiring age. Not sure how many PC drivers have been here for that long, but I know a bunch of the feeder drivers are up there.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The decision to retire is a purely personal one, based on a number of factors, such as financial preparation and, for lack of a better term, having a life outside of UPS. That being said, in 8 1/2 years you can have my job.

tarbar66

I am a PT sorter. I want to be a FT Driver. When will all you boomers be retiring? Our center "wait" is 6-7 years right now, but I am hoping some of you are on the verge of living the life.

In all seriousness, I am looking forward to the day I am outside of the hub. Talking with an on-car sup friend, he said the wait time should go down as we are entering that zone of retirees. Does this seem to be the case in your area? I know a lot of you are FT ballers.. but for the PT peons, are you holding onto hope it will be sooner rather than later?

RESPECT for all UPS workers and management. The vast array of bull:censored2:, hard work, and beyond is not something I could have imagined prior to working here.

Be careful of what you wish for, I'm hearing part time hub rats are better off than most package drivers.

If you really want to become a full time package driver good luck. Take a look at the seniority list that is supposed to be posted in all centers. That is the first item that may help you. Next you need to figure out old those top people are. Then hope that they are financially able to enjoy retirement.

I knew people that were part time for 15 years before there was any openings for them to go full time. There were also some people that got full time jobs within 6 months of starting part time.

tracker2762

The new pension changes have put a kink in to a lot of drivers who were thinking about getting out at 25 and any age. That has added years to drivers who wanted to leave at 25 years. I going to see what effect the next contract on my last year and a half. I would love to make it to 30 but it may not be my choice.

H

HelloWorld

Being PT is not possible. I am looking to start a life for myself. $13/hour working 5 hours a night doing the most physically intensive thing at UPS possible is not having it better. Will there be a new set of troubles as a driver? No doubt. The difference is about a thousand a week. And that is enough.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!

You will have to wait and pay your dues like everyone else!! Alot of us baby boomers have a wedding to pay for and college loans for the kids to pay for...It's not all as easy as it looks till you have a few yrs in with kids and other expenses...your time will come young Grasshopper !!!

rod

Retired 22 years
It was quite common years ago for drivers to work 31 or 32 years (or more) but nowdays the guys at my old center aren't working one day longer than they have to. I can't imagine why.

sendagain

This is UPS after all. I don't think there are huge numbers of boomers working in package, or many other places for that matter. This is not a job many people can handle for a lengthy career.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Being PT is not possible. I am looking to start a life for myself. $13/hour working 5 hours a night doing the most physically intensive thing at UPS possible is not having it better. Will there be a new set of troubles as a driver? No doubt. The difference is about a thousand a week. And that is enough.

Then go get another p/t job

[video=youtube;JhlWddAXSRA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA[/video]

H

HelloWorld

Huh? I wasn't whining. One job is a well-paid career. Having 2 part-time jobs isn't nearly the same. I am just wanting to piece together a solid life. My time will come, but still eager. Sorry?

A

anonymous6

It was quite common years ago for drivers to work 31 or 32 years (or more) but nowdays the guys at my old center aren't working one day longer than they have to. I can't imagine why.

thanks for the laugh, rod.

Re-Raise

Huh? I wasn't whining. One job is a well-paid career. Having 2 part-time jobs isn't nearly the same. I am just wanting to piece together a solid life. My time will come, but still eager. Sorry?

I ve been driving about 20 years after pre -loading for 7. I remember being in your shoes and feeling the same way you do now. I do believe that a lot of drivers were hired in the late 80 s and early 90 s.

Hope it happens soon for you.