Retire already!

CustomerConcern

In the next 5 years we will lose 1/3 of our drivers to retirement (in my center), the next in line PTers have all been there over 5 years. The most senior FT just hit his 25 an says he is waiting for next contract, as is most of the ones at or near PEER 80.

You could always go out an find the senior guys on route an kneecap them that way they get full disability and you move up sooner.

wannabeups

Most of the guys won't retire until they are full of embalming fluid. Some of the old, old guys if they retired, wouldn't last long. Them not being able to piss, moan and bitch about the job would kill them. :)

rod

Retired 22 years
Most of the guys won't retire until they are full of embalming fluid. Some of the old, old guys if they retired, wouldn't last long. Them not being able to piss, moan and bitch about the job would kill them. :)

Don't they know they could retire, come on Brown Cafe and still piss, moan and bitch about UPS.--------------------------and post irrelevant Youtube videos.

rod

Retired 22 years
So, what were you doing in 1964 when this man started at UPS?

I was barely out of diapers.

I was watching some band from Liverpool make their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. I also started to hear more and more about some far away country named Vietnam. Cassius Clay was "The Greatest" (later to become nothing but a draft dodger to me)

raceanoncr

Look, whether a person retires or not...I don't care! Didn't when I was working either. BUT, we've got people here that are in very poor health and still working. No, not some contagious type of thing but just plain failing health for various reasons.

One friend of mine, in particular, is now given 3 months to live. He just HAD to go at 65, get 34 yrs in and had to be, almost, drug outta the truck. That's been 3 months ago. He knew he was sick for over a yr. Me? I just don't get it.

Got another that could barely walk up the stairs to punch in. Another that was forced to retire a couple months ago due to an unexpected cancer. The list goes on. ALL had more company time than me.

I retired later than I wanted, at age 63 with 32 yrs in. I had my retirement put off for various reasons, health, surgeries, mom death but I COULD have still gone. Just chose not to. Wanted to make sure all my ducks were in a row.

MY bone of contention is this: You feel like continuing to work, then knock yerself out. You ain't got a life outside of this company, knock yerself out. Me? I got things to do, and, like I keep saying, "This job got in my way." I went in September of '10 and been busy ever since. Doing things I want to do. I could die tomorrow but if I'd linger, I'd know I did the right thing getting out when I could.

I ain't EVER gonna tell somebody to retire, but, life is too short to waste it away from home all the time doing something that forces you to get on forums like this and bitch!

raceanoncr

I want to start seeing some paint on that 56 buddy!

Just got some braided stainless steel line and AN fittings the other day to start plumbing it and this other toy I just got. Ain't never done those before (they're expensive as hell) but gotta show some progress. Wanna get it running agin with this new 671 my lady bought me before I kick off.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Just got some braided stainless steel line and AN fittings the other day to start plumbing it and this other toy I just got. Ain't never done those before (they're expensive as hell) but gotta show some progress. Wanna get it running agin with this new 671 my lady bought me before I kick off.

An honest-to-God Jimmie?

brownedout

Part-timers have more to worry about than senior drivers not retiring. The bottom driver in my center is coming up on 4 years. In that time we have lost 6 drivers (retirements, terminations, just plain quit), we must have at most times a minimum of 4, and up to 7 guys out on disability, or TAW. A clerk had his job eliminated, then tranferred (this takes a driver off the roster those weeks a clerk is needed). All that being said not 1 hire. Not in almost four years. The decision has been made at the highest levels in this company that when drivers are removed, they will not be replaced. Let's do more with less. That mantra has been all over this forum forever. Senior drivers retiring, or not is not the issue here. Upper management allowing the centers to be not fully, but even adequately staffed, is. Stops are through the roof, pieces are even more so, I'll be very interested to see what the Q4 earnings are going to be come Tuesday. Share some of the wealth with the centers and lets start hiring, and promoting from within and be the company the outside world believes us to be.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I'm in my 25th year of service and wasn't even born in 1964.
That guy is a maroon.
RETIRE ALREADY!!!!
This guy is far from a maroon,,he reads constantly and is very intelligent.He is a hard working guy.I believe he may have re/married and is hanging on for bennys for a wife younger than him. Rumor has it,I never asked him,but is believed he served a tough tour in Korea.Up until a few yrs ago he used to help his son during the day as a roofer then come in at like 10 or 11 at night and shift for 10 to 12 hrs.He is a tough old bastard and his kind are fading fast with the end of the baby boomer generation being hired in the 80's.. nope ,not a maroon just likes his job!!

This guy is far from a maroon,,he reads constantly and is very intelligent.He is a hard working guy.I believe he may have re/married and is hanging on for bennys for a wife younger than him. Rumor has it,I never asked him,but is believed he served a tough tour in Korea.Up until a few yrs ago he used to help his son during the day as a roofer then come in at like 10 or 11 at night and shift for 10 to 12 hrs.He is a tough old bastard and his kind are fading fast with the end of the baby boomer generation being hired in the 80's.. nope ,not a maroon just likes his job!!
Sounds like a mans man. My grandfather was the manliest guy I've ever seen. They just don't make them like this anymore.