Retire already!

Braveheart

Look, whether a person retires or not...I don't care! Didn't when I was working either. BUT, we've got people here that are in very poor health and still working. No, not some contagious type of thing but just plain failing health for various reasons.

One friend of mine, in particular, is now given 3 months to live. He just HAD to go at 65, get 34 yrs in and had to be, almost, drug outta the truck. That's been 3 months ago. He knew he was sick for over a yr. Me? I just don't get it.
Got another that could barely walk up the stairs to punch in. Another that was forced to retire a couple months ago due to an unexpected cancer. The list goes on. ALL had more company time than me.

I retired later than I wanted, at age 63 with 32 yrs in. I had my retirement put off for various reasons, health, surgeries, mom death but I COULD have still gone. Just chose not to. Wanted to make sure all my ducks were in a row.

MY bone of contention is this: You feel like continuing to work, then knock yerself out. You ain't got a life outside of this company, knock yerself out. Me? I got things to do, and, like I keep saying, "This job got in my way." I went in September of '10 and been busy ever since. Doing things I want to do. I could die tomorrow but if I'd linger, I'd know I did the right thing getting out when I could.

I ain't EVER gonna tell somebody to retire, but, life is too short to waste it away from home all the time doing something that forces you to get on forums like this and bitch!

Hit it on the head. Why work until 65 or later and then only get a good 10-15 years out of that tired worn out body.

Retire at 55-60 when you are healthier and can enjoy it. Plus you get 20-25 years of that pension and more enjoyable years.

You can still work but maybe doing something easy or something you like to fill the gap.

You can tap that pension fund and still lift the economy all while allowing a part timer to get a higher paying full time job that lifts the economy and yet another unemployed person gets a part time job which lifts the economy.

I plan on getting every penny out of that damn pension that I can. When I hit 55 my ass is hitting the gate for the last time.

old levi's

blank space
I'm coming in late to this thread but thought I'd throw my two cents in.

I started in 1974 and started driving in 1978. I've had my own route since 1979 in Sheffield Lake Ohio, right on the south shore of Lake Erie.

I plan on retiring in six months when I turn fifty-five so that I can get the health care benefits. If I could get buy health care I would have left before this.

Retiring is a personal thing. I have friends at UPS with more seniority who have good reason for staying and I respect that. I would never call someone a maroon for staying. For me it is a no-braiiner.

I have a beautiful route and no everyone on it. I work and look at the lake all day. At lunch I sit on the beach and play my banjo, guitar or ukulele and all my frustration vanishes.

UPS is a smalll part of my life and a lot like flossing. Just something I need to do to have a good life. It will be over soon.

Randy

I would say you have been blessed.
It always amazes me how different the journey can be for two people working the same job classification within the same company.
It took me 23 years to get my first bid route and I was bumped from it 6 weeks later. For the last two and a half years I have been on a satellite route loading my truck in the heat or the rain and then starting the route between 10:45 and 11:00. Now mgmt. has decided to pull that route back to the building 30 days before bids so I will probably be bumped again. Twenty seven years and can't even hold on to a route (forget about a decent route).

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Look, I apparently struck a nerve with some, with what was an impetuously posted remark.
For those offended I apologize.
My point, that in hindsight could have been made without referring to the man as a maroon, is that a 1964 seniority date gives this guy 47 years on the job.
I can't fathom the circumstances that would motivate this person to continue.
I find myself often dreaming of the finish line all the while wondering if I shouldn't be in such a hurry to get there.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I see your point about retiring.
But from a financial standing it's scary.
Your income becomes fixed, no more raises, no ot.
However your expenses continue to rise,
Sure the first few years you'll be able to live on easy street, but without a proper plan in place things will become a financial nightmare.
Many I know would LOVE to retire now, but they have commitments ; offspring that today need financial assistance be it school bills to pay, help them get a home, or just help the until our economy recovers, some have to keep working just to cover their ex's alimony ( a portion of their pension will automatically be paid to the ex. ).

bitter to the bone

You will have to wait and pay your dues like everyone else!! Alot of us baby boomers have a wedding to pay for and college loans for the kids to pay for...It's not all as easy as it looks till you have a few yrs in with kids and other expenses...your time will come young Grasshopper !!!

Amen covemaster, well said. All things come to those who wait. I'm not a baby boomer, but my parents are and they taught me that you you must pay your dues before you get what you want just like you said. I learned early in life that nothing is going to be given to you on a silver platter for free. Hard work,patience and perseverence is what it takes.

As for the baby boomers retiring, hey they can stay on as long as they feel the need to. I have a lot of respect for them and have learned a lot from them. I don't complain because they are still working. I don't know if they choose to or have to. Its really none of my affair. I worry about my job and my own affairs first.

As the saying goes, "don't judge a man unless you have walked a mile in his shoes". And yet another one "patience is a virtue" I know you young ones are all gung ho on living your life and becoming successful,as I am but it will come in time. Don't stress about it. It will happen when it happens.

We had a driver today, in his mid 50`s I believe, simply drop from a heart attack at last notice. With thirty some years in he could have retired but now unfortunately it may be too late.

rod

Retired 22 years
I've said it before. All you that want to work till you drop---go for it. The less people drawing a pension and SS the more secure my life style is.