Retired after 36 years all full time.

mannbrown

he shoots he scores!!!!!!
I finally did it. I walked away with 36 years in officially May 1. The last 6 years were living hell, Union steward Safety cochairman and a full route. The pain in my knees was not going away. About 3 months ago I filed workers comp on the left knee and continued to work. filed retirement paperwork then scheduled a scope of the knee. I'm healing up nicely. I sleep like a baby ,no more nightmares. This job is so difficult I feel for all of you. I am soo glad to be out of there. I will say the same thing I said my last day I don't have any regrets. I helped both my kids through college and created a nice living for my family. I don't think I would have stayed at that job had I been single when I started in 1979. I made a conscious decision I would walk away before I was crippled. Its so hard to walk away from an $85,000 a year job but I did it. My wife is working now after taking care of the home all these years so our rolls are reversed. I'm enjoying cooking meals and even housework. As soon as the knee heals I will find a very low stress job, and it looks like between my retirement her income and my income we will be making close to what I was making at UPS. I'm only in my late 50s so I still have a few working years left. You all take care and get outta there before you are to crippled to enjoy life!!!!(PEACE TO YOU ALL)

By The Book

I finally did it. I walked away with 36 years in officially May 1. The last 6 years were living hell, Union steward Safety cochairman and a full route. The pain in my knees was not going away. About 3 months ago I filed workers comp on the left knee and continued to work. filed retirement paperwork then scheduled a scope of the knee. I'm healing up nicely. I sleep like a baby ,no more nightmares. This job is so difficult I feel for all of you. I am soo glad to be out of there. I will say the same thing I said my last day I don't have any regrets. I helped both my kids through college and created a nice living for my family. I don't think I would have stayed at that job had I been single when I started in 1979. I made a conscious decision I would walk away before I was crippled. Its so hard to walk away from an $85,000 a year job but I did it. My wife is working now after taking care of the home all these years so our rolls are reversed. I'm enjoying cooking meals and even housework. As soon as the knee heals I will find a very low stress job, and it looks like between my retirement her income and my income we will be making close to what I was making at UPS. I'm only in my late 50s so I still have a few working years left. You all take care and get outta there before you are to crippled to enjoy life!!!!(PEACE TO YOU ALL)
Congrats fellow man in brown!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Welcome to the club!

rod

Retired 22 years
Welcome to retirement. The only flaw in your story is that you worked 6 years longer than you had to. That was a good trick getting your wife to go to work----how did you do that you lucky dog?

mannbrown

he shoots he scores!!!!!!
Welcome to retirement. The only flaw in your story is that you worked 6 years longer than you had to. That was a good trick getting your wife to go to work----how did you do that you lucky dog?
I only stayed because both my kids were still in college> as far as my wife is concerned she is a wonderful woman. I told her we couldn't afford her scrapbooking addiction anymore SOOO she went to work at a place that sells scrapbooking supplies.HEY it worked(THANKS for all the GREAT feedback)

oldngray

nowhere special
Enjoy your retirement. You earned it. When you get over 30 years in and are getting older the wear and tear adds up. I got out after 34 and if I had waited a couple of more years I probably would have barely been able to walk.

rod

Retired 22 years
I only stayed because both my kids were still in college> as far as my wife is concerned she is a wonderful woman. I told her we couldn't afford her scrapbooking addiction anymore SOOO she went to work at a place that sells scrapbooking supplies.HEY it worked(THANKS for all the GREAT feedback)

My wife is a wonderful women also but no way in hell is she going back to work------even when the pension pukes on us. I found her two jobs yesterday and she just laughs.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
our paths are similar. (I put in 38) My knees are shot (I use a cane) My wife is still working, though her job with an oilfield service company is tenuous at best right now. I waited till my daughter completed her studies in college, nursing school and got married. I cook 3 or 4 times a week. I don't do a lot of housework. We have people come in and clean once a month. It works out well. The folks at Kroger know me by name. Remember the crock pot is your friend! lol. Congrats. Best decision by far!:chef:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
our paths are similar. (I put in 38) My knees are shot (I use a cane) Congrats. Best decision by far!:chef:

Try a rollator.
You can more easily take pressure off knees by pushing down on handles and when you stop to talk to someone or wait in line, sit down and take the load off your knees.
Mine was more from 40+ years of competitive tennis than UPS but I imagine the hurt is the same.

Try a rollator.
You can more easily take pressure off knees by pushing down on handles and when you stop to talk to someone or wait in line, sit down and take the load off your knees.
Mine was more from 40+ years of competitive tennis than UPS but I imagine the hurt is the same.
Not trying to be a jerk here. You can't even imagine the hurt on your body,from being in package.