Retired after 36 years all full time.

rod

Retired 22 years
town hall?? township garage??? Do you live in Mayberry Andy Griffith?

Next thing to it. I live in the Township of -------- and we have a town hall and I work a part time job mowing the township cemetery and township park among other things. :-)

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I like traditional headstones too. More money for me to mow around. The ones that bug me are the people who insist on buying one of every plastic flower, Mom & Dad plaques, angels, wind chimes, solar lights and everything else Walmart sales this time of year. I throw bags of that stuff away every year. I have come to realize that 95% of the graves are NEVER visited and of the 5% that are it is usually only once --on Memorial Day. The rest of the year the cemeteries are forgotten places. Once your kids are gone no one will take care of your site except the cemetery caretaker. The chances of grandkids taking an interest in your plot are slim and none.
We plan to be cremated and ashes scattered.

oldngray

nowhere special
We plan to be cremated and ashes scattered.
gambar-bergerak-gokil-toilet-shake.gif

Burial at sea?

rod

Retired 22 years
mostly traditional head stones

The oldest marked grave is a gentleman who died in 1858. The story is he died in the late fall when the ground was froze so his brother wrapped him I a blanket and stored him in the barn until spring. He then buried him out in a corner of his pasture which later became our townships cemetery. There is on whole area that has no headstones where according to county records drifters, bums and those who had no relatives to pay for a burial were laid to rest. We call it pauper corner. No one knows who or how many are buried there. There are also a couple of the real old Civil War Veterans headstones. G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic) headstones.

Stopher

I finally did it. I walked away with 36 years in officially May 1. The last 6 years were living hell, Union steward Safety cochairman and a full route. The pain in my knees was not going away. About 3 months ago I filed workers comp on the left knee and continued to work. filed retirement paperwork then scheduled a scope of the knee. I'm healing up nicely. I sleep like a baby ,no more nightmares. This job is so difficult I feel for all of you. I am soo glad to be out of there. I will say the same thing I said my last day I don't have any regrets. I helped both my kids through college and created a nice living for my family. I don't think I would have stayed at that job had I been single when I started in 1979. I made a conscious decision I would walk away before I was crippled. Its so hard to walk away from an $85,000 a year job but I did it. My wife is working now after taking care of the home all these years so our rolls are reversed. I'm enjoying cooking meals and even housework. As soon as the knee heals I will find a very low stress job, and it looks like between my retirement her income and my income we will be making close to what I was making at UPS. I'm only in my late 50s so I still have a few working years left. You all take care and get outta there before you are to crippled to enjoy life!!!!(PEACE TO YOU ALL)
Congrats brother! Unfortunately it's way to early to even think about retirement. Enjoy life after brown.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
there is a guy up in Oregon that is still in feeder and 77 years old. I met him. small, wiry, real good condition and happy as a clam at high tide.

he just loves working. I kinda envy his enthusiasm . but this place is no longer for me.

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
He never wants to retire and has stated his wish is to die in the package car. Not my words. Pretty sad that is all you have to look for in life.
I do not understand this, and couldn't agree more. This actually happened to a guy in my center, died out on his route. Unanswered messages on his diad board was how he was found. To me, this seems very depressing.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I do not understand this, and couldn't agree more. This actually happened to a guy in my cthis is enter, died out on his route. Unanswered messages on his diad board was how he was found. To me, this seems very depressing.

this is a major problem in japan and becoming more so here in this country where people become their jobs.