Retired Feeders? Do you keep your CDL up?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Been retired almost 2 years and my physical is due and CDL. Do some of you retired feeder drivers keep your CDL current?

Do you have to pay 100% for the physical or will retiree health pay for some of it.?

I am not ready yet about letting my CDL lapse . I don't think I'll ever need it again but you never know.

right now , I want to keep it for two more years .

I'm in California.

Shiftless

You are still in CA correct? I have been retired 12 years in CA. Leaving at a very early age I thought I would keep it live. Who knows? I may need a job some day, help a friend or want to pull a 5th and my boat all in one shot? Here I sit at 61 never have driven again needing a CDL with a Physical card. What I did find in Ca. They dont pull your endorsement. They just send you on your date a "Hey you need to have a Physical card on file". I know it works as I didnt do it for four years then did it again no problem. Long as you don't drive out of compliance >without the card, no big deal. I do believe that will end once you have to go to the DMV for an updated license. I will have to probably go in in 2018 as I have heard mandatory in house DMV eye exam the first renewal after 60. I cant even remember the last time I took the DMV drivers test? Take that back. It was early 1979 when I got my CDL. Shift I'm old!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
You are still in CA correct? I have been retired 12 years in CA. Leaving at a very early age I thought I would keep it live. Who knows? I may need a job some day, help a friend or want to pull a 5th and my boat all in one shot? Here I sit at 61 never have driven again needing a CDL with a Physical card. What I did find in Ca. They dont pull your endorsement. They just send you on your date a "Hey you need to have a Physical card on file". I know it works as I didnt do it for four years then did it again no problem. Long as you don't drive out of compliance >without the card, no big deal. I do believe that will end once you have to go to the DMV for an updated license. I will have to probably go in in 2018 as I have heard mandatory in house DMV eye exam the first renewal after 60. I cant even remember the last time I took the DMV drivers test? Take that back. It was early 1979 when I got my CDL. Shift I'm old!
Yes. I have to go in and take the eye test and fingerprint. Don't have to take the written tests because of a clean record.

Did you have to bear the whole cost of the physical ? Or does our insurance cover some of that?

Now you have to find the doctor who is CDL qualified to do that physical. Got my CDL in 1980. I think I'll just keep it just in case.

tarbar66

In Pennsylvania you can keep your CDL without a DOT physical if you self certify that you won't be driving commercially.

The cost of CDL renewal is about triple of a regular license.

rod

Retired 22 years
Most of the guys with CDL's here keep them. I had one for probably 25+ years but let it expire when they raised the rates up considerably. I never really planned on using it but when I got it all I had to do was take a short written test and pay an extra 5 bucks. I figured at the time maybe some day I would go into feeders but never did. I know around here if you have a CDL you have NO problem finding a job.

raceanoncr

Nope. Renewed once after retirement. Been gone 7 yrs now and almost 70. I'm retired. Don't wanna do any work. Let it go this past year.

Don't need the money. Don't need the hassle. Don't need to be gone anymore. Don't need to punch clock. Don't need no physical. Don't need to pay twice the fee for license.

I got too much cars to play with, too much golf to play with, too much alcohol to play with, too much of my lady (wife) to play with. Don't need no stinkin CD

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Nope. Renewed once after retirement. Been gone 7 yrs now and almost 70. I'm retired. Don't wanna do any work. Let it go this past year.

Don't need the money. Don't need the hassle. Don't need to be gone anymore. Don't need to punch clock. Don't need no physical. Don't need to pay twice the fee for license.

I got too much cars to play with, too much golf to play with, too much alcohol to play with, too much of my lady (wife) to play with. Don't need no stinkin CD
I'm thinking the same way but I just think it would be weird not having one after 37 years. I think "what if?"

I don't think I will have to work again but what if a great fun job came up part time that I needed a cdl for?

or, god forbid, the market really crashed for good and everything was wiped out.

I think I'll just renew it this time and by the time I have to renew again I'll be close to 70 also.

navigator

I am 76, just renewed CDL. $109.00 For DOT physical. No insurance coverage for this, in AZ we can deduct this on state income tax.
Had TSA sticker applied to license.
I'am in Central States may have to go back to work.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I am 76, just renewed CDL. $109.00 For DOT physical. No insurance coverage for this, in AZ we can deduct this on state income tax.
Had TSA sticker applied to license.
I'am in Central States may have to go back to work.
wow.

hope you can stay healthy. around here you can make 20 plus an hour delivery pizzas for Round Table. they pay hourly plus 53 cents a mile plus tips.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Hate sounding like a boozer, but I did away with mine very quick. DUI is .04 with and .08 without. GONE!!! like the wind
ya. I still won't drive at all even if I have had one drink. or a half a drink. I'll wait 4 hours . most of the time I don't have a drink until late in the day when I know I won't have to go anywhere.

trickpony1

Hate sounding like a boozer, but I did away with mine very quick. DUI is .04 with and .08 without. GONE!!! like the wind

I never really understood this.
In the old days you could get a permit to drive to and from work and at work but no more.

The presumption seems to be that we will drive our big trucks while drinking.
Whose business is it what I do in my personal vehicle?

rod

Retired 22 years

I know lots of people who dropped their CDL just for that fact. .04 is too easy to hit if you are just meeting friends and want to have an adult drink or two. I won't lie---it entered into my decision on why I dropped mine----that and the increased costs to maintain a CDL.

twoweeled

ya. I still won't drive at all even if I have had one drink. or a half a drink. I'll wait 4 hours . most of the time I don't have a drink until late in the day when I know I won't have to go anywhere.
Ahhh, I'm home and going anywhere today! ; )
200_s.gif

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I never really understood this.
In the old days you could get a permit to drive to and from work and at work but no more.

The presumption seems to be that we will drive our big trucks while drinking.
Whose business is it what I do in my personal vehicle?
I always assumed that the lower BAC only applied when you were actually driving a commercial vehicle, am I wrong about that?