Retiree Healthcare Costs under Tentative Agreement

InsideUPS

Hopefully, all current drivers with 20+ years will be looking closely at the retiree healthcare costs under this new contract. If these healthcare costs have significantly increased, I urge you to vote NO on this initial "tentative agreement".

Shiftless

Hopefully, all current drivers with 20+ years will be looking closely at the retiree healthcare costs under this new contract. If these healthcare costs have significantly increased, I urge you to vote NO on this initial "tentative agreement".

Hey LOOK my First Post! OK get over it! I aint nobody special!

Regarding the healthcare costs to retiree's. I retired 05/05/05 so in a couple days it will be 8 years ago I retired. I was covered under the South Western Region (California). When I retired (SoCal) it was and has always been that retiree's get the same benefits as a working Rank and File UPS Teamster. We do have to pay a $50 monthly administrative fee to handle these services to UPS directly at this time. That fee use to be $25 roughly 10 years ago. Not bad for inflation for the paper shuffling. Sure not all regions get the same retirement or benefits. I am only able to address my region. I know others are different. Sure would have been nice to have us all under one plan.

I guess I can be hopeful the rank and file will look down the road and envision what may come their way when they retire and make their voice heard at the IBT! Separating the retiree's health care from the Rank and File is a division tactic. Once this door is opened where contractually the retirees’ are separated from the working rank and file, no telling what the future will bring to retirement down the road. If you have spent time with UPS as a Teamster and plan that someday you will retire? Sure hope you get involved and spread the word and vote for how you see your future! If I was allowed to vote? That’s right, RETIRED FOLKS are dependent on those (currently employed Teamsters) who are allowed to vote and make the difference for all present and future TEAMSTERS. Hands down, whether it was 30 years ago or tomorrow, I would vote to protect those who have retired and FOR SURE protect my future retirement in the making by stopping the separation/division of all involved.

40andOut

Ok,
A total knob-head question...
Do they kick you out of the current retirement healthcare plans once you reach medicare age? Does this vary by which plan you are covered by?

kumet

I believe UPS plan becomes secondary plan. I believe you keep dental and vision. Don't know how new contract will affect our plan.
Ok,
A total knob-head question...
Do they kick you out of the current retirement healthcare plans once you reach medicare age? Does this vary by which plan you are covered by?

H

hoopdedoo

Current UPS retirees are going to be left out in the cold....At least 1 local I know of is raising the pension $400....Most current UPS teamsters are going to vote yes because of that $400. bump...In the meantime what becomes of current retirees who will be paying a $300. progression for healthcare by the third year of the new contract? Who is looking out for our best interests? During the 80's and 90's most of us helped build UPS into the multi billion conglomerate that it is today and for all that hard work we get dumped on. Thanks UPS and IBT.

The Milkman

:goodpost:
Hey LOOK my First Post! OK get over it! I aint nobody special!

Regarding the healthcare costs to retiree's. I retired 05/05/05 so in a couple days it will be 8 years ago I retired. I was covered under the South Western Region (California). When I retired (SoCal) it was and has always been that retiree's get the same benefits as a working Rank and File UPS Teamster. We do have to pay a $50 monthly administrative fee to handle these services to UPS directly at this time. That fee use to be $25 roughly 10 years ago. Not bad for inflation for the paper shuffling. Sure not all regions get the same retirement or benefits. I am only able to address my region. I know others are different. Sure would have been nice to have us all under one plan.

I guess I can be hopeful the rank and file will look down the road and envision what may come their way when they retire and make their voice heard at the IBT! Separating the retiree's health care from the Rank and File is a division tactic. Once this door is opened where contractually the retirees’ are separated from the working rank and file, no telling what the future will bring to retirement down the road. If you have spent time with UPS as a Teamster and plan that someday you will retire? Sure hope you get involved and spread the word and vote for how you see your future! If I was allowed to vote? That’s right, RETIRED FOLKS are dependent on those (currently employed Teamsters) who are allowed to vote and make the difference for all present and future TEAMSTERS. Hands down, whether it was 30 years ago or tomorrow, I would vote to protect those who have retired and FOR SURE protect my future retirement in the making by stopping the separation/division of all involved.

:not_fair:

:youreright:

H

hoopdedoo

Milkman..You are sooo right and expressed your views on the tentative agreement thoughtfully and logically. I am afraid though that your faith in our brother teamsters to make the smart choice and see past all of the company's bs is a bit misguided. I hope for all our sakes that I am wrong and all teamsters finally wake up and do the right thing..............vote NO

The Milkman

Milkman..You are sooo right and expressed your views on the tentative agreement thoughtfully and logically. I am afraid though that your faith in our brother teamsters to make the smart choice and see past all of the company's bs is a bit misguided. I hope for all our sakes that I am wrong and all teamsters finally wake up and do the right thing..............vote NO

Along long time ago there were once STRONG UNIONS..Over time they slowly but surely have faded away. What made this country strong and made workers proud to be Americans producing goods for export and to be purchased here, have fallen to the wayside of Corporate GREED. 40-50 yrs ago the common workers wages compared to the CEO's of them yrs was relatively small compared to today, It's no wonder that worker morale has gone down the tubes.. It's just a JOB..No more no less, no pride in what you do, over and above for a company that you may spend most of your life trying eeck out a living. In the end.......A quiet exit into retirement, no big deal, you are now just a #, a lonely # on a chart that the board decides what to do with it. Lets eliminate it, lets outsourse that #..Let's cut the benefits of that Loyal #...they mean nothing to us GOOD OL BOYS here in Corporate. That # is and was just a piece in our long range plans for OUR future. Too bad but Boys I got good news for ya! We will all be getting this year a 150k bonus...Thanks to all of you here sitting at this table this was made possible...I'm not sure what Jim casy would think of this but right now this is the NEW UPS..We Care...........We Care.......... only about the Bottom line....Oh yes a big THANKS to Jimmy and Ken for keeping our DREAM alive and well..........:madashell:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Along long time ago there were once STRONG UNIONS..Over time they slowly but surely have faded away. What made this country strong and made workers proud to be Americans producing goods for export and to be purchased here, have fallen to the wayside of Corporate GREED.

What has really happened is that American consumers have been willing to pay less for non-Union produced goods and services.
​That's it in a nutshell.

The Milkman

What has really happened is that American consumers have been willing to pay less for non-Union produced goods and services.
​That's it in a nutshell.

You are right..Because they don't make enough money these days..Hours being cut, jobs overseas. When I started out at UPS I was the envy of others, they all would say" You have a Great job with benefits" Now the great wages and benefits for the most part, do not stand out like they did 30 years ago..Why do you think most of the P/Ters have 2 jobs? We have no choice now..Most can only afford the imported junk. Our standard of living when I was growing up seemed normal. Mothers stayed home with us kids, My dad worked 1 job and was home every night. Things have only gotten worse as Greed slowly creeped into our American way of life...Now it is everyone for themselves..Atlanta included..nuff said

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I will never forget Jersey but I do miss good pizza, texas weiners, pork roll and White Castles..The Rat race here is not quite as crazy as Jersey. Thats why I moved as soon as I hung up my Browns..:hapydancsmil:

I live out in the country and spend most of my time at home or in a sparsely populated suburb area.

​When I do go into Atlanta, I can feel the rat race around me. Don't miss it at all.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I live out in the country and spend most of my time at home or in a sparsely populated suburb area. ​When I do go into Atlanta, I can feel the rat race around me. Don't miss it at all.

i didn't notice that when I drive around Atlanta 4 lanes wide at 80mph.

The Milkman

i didn't notice that when I drive around Atlanta 4 lanes wide at 80mph.

Since retired I have been Across this country a few times driving..And 2 times up to Fairbanks AK. Going into any large city...Atlanta, St.Louis, Chicago, Indianapolis, Columbus, Houston, Denver , San Antonio, Dallas -Fort Worth to name a few...Except for my trips to AK, Rush hours (am or pm which sometimes you can not avoid) in those cities even in the bypass highways traffic is terrible...So how you are doing 80mph...must be at 2am...:bsbullf:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Since retired I have been Across this country a few times driving..And 2 times up to Fairbanks AK. Going into any large city...Atlanta, St.Louis, Chicago, Indianapolis, Columbus, Houston, Denver , San Antonio, Dallas -Fort Worth to name a few...Except for my trips to AK, Rush hours (am or pm which sometimes you can not avoid) in those cities even in the bypass highways traffic is terrible...So how you are doing 80mph...must be at 2am...:bsbullf:

Drive from WI to Florida during spring break. It's like the Daytona 500 all the way down.

cccrider

I went to union meeting in Baton Rouge La. trying to explain to young drivers and part timers about the certainly of getting old. If you keep waking up you are getting older. This said I tried to show them to take the raises we are going to get an put that in a UPS retired employees plan. This plan would be for retired UPSer in the company. I told them that with there new raise they may take there spouses to the Sonic on Saturday evening an buy each a cheese burger, fries, and a coke. You may have enough to buy 1 ice cream to split. But if these monies were put in a plan for retired UPS'ers it would be like money in the bank. Look I've been a package car driver for 39 years; raises are nice but you spend that money and it is gone. I do not claim to know it all but 30 years with UPS your body will be shot. I also believe that to throw the now retired under a bus is wrong. They worked some long hours building this company up and deserves respect and honor. Most of the drivers I started with have retired but I for one will never forget them! I wish that you could look on down the road; an realized that you will not be 6' tall and bullet proof forever.