Retirement from local 396

najarian7

My husband retired 10 years ago from UPS local 396. Can’t find out about our medical from UPS. Does anyone know if they lifted the $500,000 maximum with Aetna and what happens when you become eligible for Medicare?

najarian7

Yes still married. He called Aetna and they have recordings to push certain buttons according to your union but 396 never came up.

trickpony1

Surely someone on this forum could PM the 800 number for UPS HR to you.

Be aware that HR is now a third party contractor so they may just "go through the moves" or transfer you to someone else.

They're still gonna get paid whether you get timely, accurate info or not.

Shiftless

Yes still married. He called Aetna and they have recordings to push certain buttons according to your union but 396 never came up.

By your question about the 500K limit, is this part of the problem? Have you exceeded it or are you close?
Locals really from my experience and what you read here do very little in the way of retirement help. A good Local as 396 should have directed you to WCT (Western Conference Of Teamsters) if you haven't used this site make note of this particular site for retiree's below. And call them, they are super friendly and easy to work with in my past experiences.

Website for Retirees & Beneficiaries | The Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Trust

Here is the direct # for Aetna member services 1-800-435-7324

najarian7

My mistake. I meant to say he called UPS HR and they have lots of options but none are for local 396. Aetna can only tell you your plan as of today and not what you get when reach 65 and have Medicare. And if you try to talk to UPS HR they have no idea and tell you to talk to another company. KOA that help you transition into Medicare but since he is not eligible for 2 more years they can’t tell you anything because they don’t have your information yet. In other nobody knows anything. Not the union. Not Aetna. And especially not UPS.

Shiftless

There won't be any options for local 396, we are all under the WCT PensionDid you try contacting them? UPS just collects your monthly monies for.
Handling your account, but is useless for info.

Contact the WCT.

rod

Retired 22 years
My husband retired 10 years ago from UPS local 396. Can’t find out about our medical from UPS. Does anyone know if they lifted the $500,000 maximum with Aetna and what happens when you become eligible for Medicare?

Depends on what kind of deal you Local has. When I retired the second I turned 65 (Medicare age) I was cut off of union medical coverage--as was my wife. I went on Medicare with a supplemental policy and we had to get her a separate policy until she turned 65 four years later. Her policy cost us about 8-9 hundred a month. Fun fun.

Shiftless

Depends on what kind of deal you Local has. When I retired the second I turned 65 (Medicare age) I was cut off of union medical coverage--as was my wife. I went on Medicare with a supplemental policy and we had to get her a separate policy until she turned 65 four years later. Her policy cost us about 8-9 hundred a month. Fun fun.

Rod, what region did you retire from.

I ask this because you say you were cut off of "union medical coverage". Not sure if you mean in general or you actually had your health coverage from the Teamsters and not UPS?

rod

Retired 22 years
Rod, what region did you retire from.

I ask this because you say you were cut off of "union medical coverage". Not sure if you mean in general or you actually had your health coverage from the Teamsters and not UPS?

Central States. I wrote a $150 check every month to Local 638. It started out as $50 a month when I first retired but gradually inched up to $150. That was for coverage for both the wife and I.

Shiftless

Central States. I wrote a $150 check every month to Local 638. It started out as $50 a month when I first retired but gradually inched up to $150. That was for coverage for both the wife and I.

WCT retiree's pay UPS to stay on their insurance plan. UPS directly takes it out of my account. When I retired over 13 years ago it had just gone from $50 to $100 for two people. We pay $300 a month now. Never wanted to do it by check! Automatic withdraw was the way to go the WCT told me, because of all the problems when the monthly payment missed or got lost in the mail they immediately dropped you. Crazy times trying to reinstate your account if payment did not show up on time.

rod

Retired 22 years
WCT retiree's pay UPS to stay on their insurance plan. UPS directly takes it out of my account. When I retired over 13 years ago it had just gone from $50 to $100 for two people. We pay $300 a month now. Never wanted to do it by check! Automatic withdraw was the way to go the WCT told me, because of all the problems when the monthly payment missed or got lost in the mail they immediately dropped you. Crazy times trying to reinstate your account if payment did not show up on time.

I should correct myself and say my wife wrote them a check for a whole year. At that time we weren't doing any automatic payment stuff. Now 95% of all bills are automatic payments---and everything coming in is auto deposit.

LagunaBrown

8B4EEA66-8F5E-4DC2-96AD-02C3379B3790.jpeg

Needs to be voted on.

2008 retirees do not qualify for the proposed uncapped medical. 396 used to have a knowledgable person who advised retirees. I wished they should bring him back because he knew about pensions, medicare, insurance etc etc

MojaveJim

I retired from Local 63 (So Cal) about two years ago and this is the first information I've gotten regarding the $500k lifetime cap. With a life threatening illness and only 60 yrs old the cap has put some serious anxiety into our future plans. The only reason it existed was due to a giant loophole in the ACA for retirees. Of course UPS/Teamsters took full advantage since we can't vote. Will be keeping a close eye on the upcoming vote. I'm not suggesting to vote one way or another, I'm just saying!

LagunaBrown

I retired from Local 63 (So Cal) about two years ago and this is the first information I've gotten regarding the $500k lifetime cap. With a life threatening illness and only 60 yrs old the cap has put some serious anxiety into our future plans. The only reason it existed was due to a giant loophole in the ACA for retirees. Of course UPS/Teamsters took full advantage since we can't vote. Will be keeping a close eye on the upcoming vote. I'm not suggesting to vote one way or another, I'm just saying!
A yes vote gives you Unlimited cap. The Union knows $500,000 was not enough. I give my retirees a PDF of the Summary Plan Description and they never read it, all the information is there. I added a link for retirees that need it in the WR177healthcare plan.

MojaveJim

Thanks LB for the info. I actually have a hard copy of that information. When I retired at age 57, I pretty much had to go, due to medical issues and because it was impossible to get off the damn truck. The language in the contract made it pretty much impossible to get an inside job for a FT driver. Believe me I tried and tried. Feeder was not an option at that point in my career. Knowing I could opt out one time made it a little easier. My wife will for work for another 2yrs and I may jump onto her plan if needed and when she retires I planned to jump back onto the WR177 plan which could get me to Medicare. If the cap is lifted, then problem solved. Yes, the Union knows $500k is not enough and I believe it is used as a deterrent to early retirement. Both the union and company would prefer you work till you drop dead!

LagunaBrown

Thanks LB for the info. I actually have a hard copy of that information. When I retired at age 57, I pretty much had to go, due to medical issues and because it was impossible to get off the damn truck. The language in the contract made it pretty much impossible to get an inside job for a FT driver. Believe me I tried and tried. Feeder was not an option at that point in my career. Knowing I could opt out one time made it a little easier. My wife will for work for another 2yrs and I may jump onto her plan if needed and when she retires I planned to jump back onto the WR177 plan which could get me to Medicare. If the cap is lifted, then problem solved. Yes, the Union knows $500k is not enough and I believe it is used as a deterrent to early retirement. Both the union and company would prefer you work till you drop dead!
You need to call the plan to see if jump back to the plan, I heard thee are limits to defer it. Glad to see that you were coverd. Your peer 80 is great benefit if you can’t work for whatever reason. Hopefully the Unlimited cap gets added in this year for you and your wife.