Retirement side hustle and tax right off

onehandsolo

Was considering getting a part time side hustle to supplement my pension income. When I retire next summer. Example using my own vehicle to drive people on temporary work disability to and from doctors appointments. Was wondering if any of you retirees are doing the same thing and if the tax right offs 59 cent a mile were worth the time and effort.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I don't need to work and I'm not bored (yet). Driving strangers around in my car doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in, if I needed a little extra cash I'd try to find something I could do online for a few hours a day.

trickpony1

Was considering getting a part time side hustle to supplement my pension income. When I retire next summer. Example using my own vehicle to drive people on temporary work disability to and from doctors appointments. Was wondering if any of you retirees are doing the same thing and if the tax right offs 59 cent a mile were worth the time and effort.
How much do you get paid to sit and wait?
Have you considered this could be a tremendous liability that could bankrupt you?

PVD driver!

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
We are allowed to work a hundred hours per month here during retirement.
I know we can't work for competitors but I'm not sure if there's any other rules.
They don't ask retirees to come back and drive during peak here
I'm really surprised that the Union could maintain any kind of control over you once you finished your career with what you're doing.
What would it matter to them if you decided to (say) have a 2nd career???? Especially the competitor part you say above....

I'm really surprised that the Union could maintain any kind of control over you once you finished your career with what you're doing.
What would it matter to them if you decided to (say) have a 2nd career???? Especially the competitor part you say above....
When I finally decide to pull the trigger and leave this place the last thing on this earth I'm going to do is deliver another package, if I decide to go back to work

I understand your feelings, but I'm just saying that once you retire how can the union say what you can do and not do???
It’s a stipulation that most plans have for early retirement (under age 65). After retirement age, the pension (at least mine) doesn’t care.

oldngray

nowhere special
Most Teamster pension plans had rules like that at one time but not any more.

I honestly do not know who checks on that
They probably check L & I records and/or SS records. My pension limits monthly hours, but allows 3 months of unlimited hours.

A pension representative said that retirement funds are for the retired. If you retire before 65 then go back to work, you never intended to retire in the first place.

oldngray

nowhere special
A long time ago in my plan you couldn't work any jobs after you retired which resulted in a lot of people working for under the table money. That changed to now where you can work any number of hours as long as it isn't in a Teamster related position.