Retiring January 1st

Round the block again

I’m retiring January 1st finally. Drivers say we get paid for 8 weeks for this, so wondering if this is for real. But my pension will start March 1st. Did anyone else do this and do we really get the 8 weeks pay - 6 vacation weeks - 1 rovers week and 1 sick days week.

badpal

Congrats, Well we got about 5 guys going and they marked all thier vacations starting in january. Your lucky to have a week of sick days . we aint got none here. Enjoy.

Round the block again

I researched it’s what drivers say and supervisors even the union says. Just wanted to be sure if other drivers retired Jan 1st. It’s like it sounds too good to be true so hoping it is.

9.5er

Congrats on making it to retirement. We have a few drivers going out at my center in January. I have talked to two of them that say they have to work one day into the new year to get the sick days. The vacation days were earned throughout the current year so they will be paid out either way.

trickpony1

Did anyone else do this....

I know a driver that worked the first week of January (just to be sure) and then took all his earned time off that he had posted the year before.

By doing this he got:
-insurance for those vacations;
-an extra weeks vacation pay because he had earned it as opposed to just taking the pay out and;
-the joy of keeping management on eggshells wondering if he was gonna change his mind and continue working.

The fact that your pension starts April 1 suggests you posted your earned time off last year?

quad decade guy

It's almost hard to believe that a person would retire and not know exactly what was going to happen.

However(to be fair), the whole process(at least in my experience) is quite nebulous.

Ask a half dozen people....get half dozen answers. First: Contact Atlanta(just finding the exact

number/contact can be daunting)(what no literature?). I find it interesting that I(after 40 years) don't

really know exactly how much. And it varies so widely(if you believe folks) and that old Sam got

this much and Bob is living like a king....the problem is you can't talk to anyone. You have to formally

apply to start the process. Otherwise you just wait. Not knowing.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I’m retiring January 1st finally. Drivers say we get paid for 8 weeks for this, so wondering if this is for real. But my pension will start March 1st. Did anyone else do this and do we really get the 8 weeks pay - 6 vacation weeks - 1 rovers week and 1 sick days week.

You ought to know how many vacation weeks you have, and which weeks you selected. As for the sick pay, in my area we accumulate around 6 sick days a year, and can accumulate up to 480 hours before the company starts automatic pay outs. I know that is not the case everywhere else, so how you accumulate sick time and how it is paid out will be determined by your local or regional language. As for optional days (personal holidays, rover days, whatever you call them), in my area again, they can be combined together with a sick day to get an extra week of vacation.

I think you just need to make sure you are actually still on the books while this time is paid out, rather than being paid a lump sum for money owed upon your official retirement date. The obvious advantage to staying on the books is continuing healthcare coverage.

You ought to know how many vacation weeks you have, and which weeks you selected. As for the sick pay, in my area we accumulate around 6 sick days a year, and can accumulate up to 480 hours before the company starts automatic pay outs. I know that is not the case everywhere else, so how you accumulate sick time and how it is paid out will be determined by your local or regional language. As for optional days (personal holidays, rover days, whatever you call them), in my area again, they can be combined together with a sick day to get an extra week of vacation.

I think you just need to make sure you are actually still on the books while this time is paid out, rather than being paid a lump sum for money owed upon your official retirement date. The obvious advantage to staying on the books is continuing healthcare coverage.
Maybe he has healthcare when he is retired?

We do here.lr costs $200 a month for a single and $400 for a family.

I assume that's the date he ended up picking when he filed with the pension adminstration office. Why he wouldn't plan his retirement date in conjunction with his paid leave time to end up officially separating simultaneously with the start of his pension payments is another good question.
You only get one shot at doing this! Do it the right way.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Maybe his local doesn't let him double dip and take the payout + pension at the same time. We need more details.

I think everything lines up to where he would avoid that whether he took a lump sum pay out, or stayed on the books while being paid out. I think if he took all his vacation in a row he would be paid all that time two weeks before his first week of vacation anyway.