Retiring January 1st

bowhnterdon

Dear "Retiring Jan. 1st,
Due to the fact that you are the first person to ever retire from UPS all I can say is welcome to the club. Everyone who retires is treated like they are the first so good luck getting a straight answer out of anyone --Teamsters or Company.
. True. The best source of information is people who have retired and can tell you the mistakes they made or how they did it the best possible way

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My retirement was seamless. The ladies at the pension fund and health fund were very helpful. The only contact I had to make with UPS was informing my boss when my last day was. $615 to cover me and the wife. Same plan but co pays and deductibles increased. She can stay on the plan when I hit 65 and mine becomes my Medicare supplement.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My retirement was seamless. The ladies at the pension fund and health fund were very helpful. The only contact I had to make with UPS was informing my boss when my last day was. $615 to cover me and the wife. Same plan but co pays and deductibles increased. She can stay on the plan when I hit 65 and mine becomes my Medicare supplement.

Is your retiree plan an 80/20 plan?

bowhnterdon

The strike was how many years ago and the union hourly are still paying for it?
There's a reason there was a strike and it wasn't because the hourly trusted and had been treated well by management.
Correct,maybe Management had a feeling of Family, but not many hourlies had that feeling.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So...Can you receive a pension check while on your vacation when you retire

You're confused.

You can't be on vacation and retired at the same time

I want to retire Feb 1st. If I take my last 6 weeks of vacation into march

If you take your vacations into March, you did not retire on February 1st.

That would just be your last day worked. Your retirement date would be after your vacations were completed.

would I be able to receive my first pension check Feb 1st?

No, because you didn't retire on February 1st. You were on vacation for 6 weeks after that.

Now, you could retire February 1st and be paid off for your 6 weeks of vacation, if they pay them off where you are, and then collect your pension for February.

you would get both Feb and Mar on Mar 1st.

Incorrect.

You cannot collect a pension check while you're on vacation.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I understand.
My friend wanted to go on medicare and have teamsters insurance like his wife is getting be his secondary because it's better than most crap supplemental's that don't cover vision or dental.

This is really a simple proposal that, apparently, is difficult to understand.

It is not difficult to understand.

Teamcare does not want to be in the business of Supplemental Medicare Insurance, for one reason or another.

Your friend was dumped when he turned 65, and his wife will be dumped when she turns 65.

Screenshot_20191126-025148_Chrome.jpg

ACmoses

You're confused.

You can't be on vacation and retired at the same time

If you take your vacations into March, you did not retire on February 1st.

That would just be your last day worked. Your retirement date would be after your vacations were completed.

No, because you didn't retire on February 1st. You were on vacation for 6 weeks after that.

Now, you could retire February 1st and be paid off for your 6 weeks of vacation, if they pay them off where you are, and then collect your pension for February.

Incorrect.

You cannot collect a pension check while you're on vacation.
Confused... is why I asked. Too many conflicting answers. I believe I will exhaust my vacation, then retire. Medical benefits will continue through May. Thanks for your input.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My official retirement date was 6/23/18 and my last work day was in the first week of May. I scheduled my 6 weeks of vacation and remaining personal/sick days to run consecutively. My first pension check should have been 7/1/18; however, our pension fund holds the first check to make sure that UPS has made all of the contributions on my behalf. I received two checks on 8/1 and my health coverage ended 9/30.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Confused... is why I asked. Too many conflicting answers. I believe I will exhaust my vacation, then retire. Medical benefits will continue through May. Thanks for your input.

You're welcome.

You will have medical benefits for all the weeks you are on vacation, and your retirement date will be the first day after your vacations end.

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
It's almost hard to believe that a person would retire and not know exactly what was going to happen.

However(to be fair), the whole process(at least in my experience) is quite nebulous.

Ask a half dozen people....get half dozen answers. First: Contact Atlanta(just finding the exact

number/contact can be daunting)(what no literature?). I find it interesting that I(after 40 years) don't

really know exactly how much. And it varies so widely(if you believe folks) and that old Sam got

this much and Bob is living like a king....the problem is you can't talk to anyone. You have to formally

apply to start the process. Otherwise you just wait. Not knowing.
My Wife and I both went into the retirement center about 6 months before and got all the info. Also make sure the retirement medical is on board. No surprises.