retro checks and your 401k.

We made it this far,without our 70 cents an hour. now is the time to pump up that 401k plan. You lived without thus far, so why not just put it in to your 401k?? Besides we will be getting another 70 cents an hour,in three months!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
We made it this far,without our 70 cents an hour. now is the time to pump up that 401k plan. You lived without thus far, so why not just put it in to your 401k?? Besides we will be getting another 70 cents an hour,in three months!
I wanted to ask my financial advisor about this. How exactly do I do that...and can I just put a percentage of my retro check in my roth...say 60%?

I wanted to ask my financial advisor about this. How exactly do I do that...and can I just put a percentage of my retro check in my roth...say 60%?
It would be great If they gave us that option. I havent heard anything about it. Thats what I Do with my personal days(if I have any left) I put Percentage of them in my 401k.

even if that is not an option, now is the time to "up" your percentage on a weekly basis!

Overpaid Union Thug

It would be great If they gave us that option. I havent heard anything about it. Thats what I Do with my personal days(if I have any left) I put Percentage of them in my 401k.

even if that is not an option, now is the time to "up" your percentage on a weekly basis!

Without my calculator I'm guessing $0.70 is like a 2% raise. So....moving the contribution rate up two percentage points.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Ohh..We don't get that option? That sucks. Yeah i used up my personal days on snow days...otherwise they were going into my 401k. But thanks. And yes, I'm planning to increase my % contribution now that we got the raise.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
One more stupid question...lol. Will our % contribution be deducted out of our retro check just like it is out of our paycheck?
No clue my guess would be no.

Here's an idea for anyone who wants a large percentage of your retro to go into your 401k.

Just hold onto the retro check until your option week of vacation. You can manually change your option week to put up to 100% of your check into the 401k

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Here's an idea for anyone who wants a large percentage of your retro to go into your 401k.

Just hold onto the retro check until your option week of vacation. You can manually change your option week to put up to 100% of your check into the 401k
Option week...meaning our personal days?

Or if you have a ROTH. IRA, you could just add that money to it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Our optional week is paid as 25 hours. Regular vacation are paid 20 hours.
Not in my local. I get 3 weeks vacation..which shows up as 65 vacation hrs on my paystub. Two weeks at 20 hours and my 3rd week at 25 hrs. Plus 5 personal and 5 sick days.

Yes, some supplements have personal days, others have the option of taking an extra weeks vacation. Or something like that. As for myself I get ,personal days.

Now go put some more money,in your 401k......Right now!
I just bumped it up 2% more..thank you for the info, sir :)

Brownslave688

Yeah here we get 2 optional holidays and an option week of vacation. Basically a week if vacation you can split up or choose to work.

I usually work 4 days out of the week take a 3 day weekend and buy myself something nice.

Brownslave688

With the wife finally making some money I'm hoping to have mine bumped up to max out in just a few years.

These numbers only work as a full timer but anyone not putting much in your 401k think about this. Say over a 7-8 year period you get $5 in raises over all. Take 46 hours a week as average. If you did nothing more than up your percentage going to your 401k equal to your raise every year. At the end of that time frame you'd go from putting zero dollars into your 401k to putting almost 13k a year into it and bringing home the same size check as before.

With the wife finally making some money I'm hoping to have mine bumped up to max out in just a few years.

These numbers only work as a full timer but anyone not putting much in your 401k think about this. Say over a 7-8 year period you get $5 in raises over all. Take 46 hours a week as average. If you did nothing more than up your percentage going to your 401k equal to your raise every year. At the end of that time frame you'd go from putting zero dollars into your 401k to putting almost 13k a year into it and bringing home the same size check as before.
You can put $17,500 dollars away,In your 401k in 2014 and an additional $5000, if age 50 or older.

Brownslave688

You can put $17,500 dollars away,In your 401k in 2014 and an additional $5000, if age 50 or older.
Yeah $17500 is a nice chunk but ups can put a stupid amount into our 401k for us. I would give up my pension for a large match. I know I know. No way it's gonna happen but i am one that would gladly do it.

[quote="purplesky, post: 1315686, member: 23628"isn't the catch up contribution for old people $5500? $23k is 401k max contribution per year for the 50plus crowd?[/quote]
This almost old person, stands corrected!...yes Its. 5500 age 50 or older on the "catch up".....sonny boy...lol:2guns: