Retroactive retirement pay

Ddrake

If my last day was may the 3rd but I didn't receive 1st pension check till Oct 1st will I get retro pay for the 5 months I was not working.

oldngray

nowhere special
You should make sure all the paperwork is done before you retire. But HR is screwed up beyond belief. I had all my paperwork done and was ready to go and even had letters from HR confirming it when they said my paperwork was missing something with a couple of weeks left before my planned date. Things like that happen when UPS uses a third party vendor.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
If my last day was may the 3rd but I didn't receive 1st pension check till Oct 1st will I get retro pay for the 5 months I was not working.

I don’t know why it took that long if you signed your final retirement papers, but yes they do pay you retroactive checks

Shiftless

First off, congrats on making it to retirement!

What was your final day like? Did you just say "that's it, I'm outta here"? Go out on medical issues?

Very different from how most retire by having their retirement date agreed upon by the union that you have met the criteria to retire by years fully completed and served. I would imagine they will back pay you to the date they certified you were eligible.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
About 7 months after I retired I got a letter from the local saying they had miscalculated my payout. Got bump of about $350/month and a retro check for about $2400. Just in time for xmas too.

oldngray

nowhere special
5 months after I retired I got a correction of about a dollar and a half a month. Trivial amount but no excuse for them making the mistake.