Return To Building "AS SOON AS POSSIBLE" BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY !

franknitty

Well, now that we've been approved by the fedex gods to receive a 5 cent pay raise (sarcasm), normally any changes to our onroad goals wouldn't go into effect until June 1 of the next fiscal year. Its looks like management will be coming with new changes immediately. At my station management has been in the couriers faces almost immediately if they don't make their return to building time everyday, for the past 3 weeks !

The management here is basically saying, "our system is perfect" ! So what more and more couriers are going to be pressured to do is return back to the building BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, including but not limited to making deliveries and leaving their trucks running with the doors open and unattended, speeding, picking up/delivering stops while in a break code, doing a pux 43 or 46 on packages and working them up after returning to the building, and driving back to the station while in a break code, just to name a few. These issues I just named off are happening at my station on a regular basis, and the couriers that are involved in these practices aren't ashamed to tell you they break these rules on a regular basis, because of the fear of eventually losing their jobs if they don't hit there goals.

I hope this isn't the case, but I wouldn't be surprised to see MT3 on an segment of Frontline stating accidents and tickets for speeding and other moving violations have increased to an all time high ! Again, its my hope is no one gets into accidents or receive any tickets at all, but now that you're gonna get that big pay increase, management is gonna increase the heat on every couriers to perform to 100% each and every day. At least at my station this is the direction our management is headed.

franknitty

I have bad news guys. I just learned one of the drivers here was involved in an accident last night, and he said "it was his fault, he'll probably get and warning letter, and he was just trying to get back to the building on time". Not good my friend, not good.

LTFedExer

So what more and more couriers are going to be pressured to do is return back to the building BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, including but not limited to making deliveries and leaving their trucks running with the doors open and unattended, speeding, picking up/delivering stops while in a break code, doing a pux 43 or 46 on packages and working them up after returning to the building, and driving back to the station while in a break code, just to name a few.
You take it upon yourselves to do the things you mentioned above. Which is worse: getting caught making a delivery with the truck running/door open (automatic letter) or getting back 5 minutes later? Which is worse: getting a speeding ticket (which gets you a letter AND RTB later) or just getting back 'late'? It would take numerous times of 'not hitting goal' to even come close to a warning letter, whereas some of the other stuff you mentioned will get you one instantly. And if they bother you to much about not 'hitting goal', I would hope you have the smarts to ask for a checkride.

Pottsburg

Remember what MT3 says at the end of every frontline. Safety Above ALL! I left FedEx last week. 8 years down the drain. IM only 30 so I still have time. Going to work with my brother. There was a big shake up at my station probably a year and a half ago. A driver got fired for over a year and finally won a appeal. He said he was driving slow for safe reasons. Now there are a few drivers that go 5 mph UNDER the sped limit everyday. They can't do anything about it. Just tell your manager Safety First aka Go friend yourself

franknitty

During my most recent checkride my manager said to me, "out of all her employees, I'm the only she's ever had to tell to speed it up". My reply was, "you do realize that you (my manager) are distracting me by talking to me about non fedex related issues during this checkride, don't you" ? Needless to say, my comment didn't sit too well with her, "but frankly my dear, I don't give a da##" !

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
During my most recent checkride my manager said to me, "out of all her employees, I'm the only she's ever had to tell to speed it up". My reply was, "you do realize that you (my manager) are distracting me by talking to me about non fedex related issues during this checkride, don't you" ? Needless to say, my comment didn't sit too well with her, "but frankly my dear, I don't give a da##" !

All they care about is that some engineers (who have never been on the road) have issued reports showing that efficiency can be "improved". In the virtual world of the FedEx engineer, there is no understanding of traffic, weather conditions, stairs, dogs, clueless customers, blocked alleys, or any of the literally thousands of scenarios that cost couriers time on-road.

Just another strong indicator that we are being "led" by a pack of drooling morons. The biggest drooler would be MT3.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Remember what MT3 says at the end of every frontline. Safety Above ALL! I left FedEx last week. 8 years down the drain. IM only 30 so I still have time. Going to work with my brother. There was a big shake up at my station probably a year and a half ago. A driver got fired for over a year and finally won a appeal. He said he was driving slow for safe reasons. Now there are a few drivers that go 5 mph UNDER the sped limit everyday. They can't do anything about it. Just tell your manager Safety First aka Go friend yourself

All so true. Kill them (figuratively) with their own policies. As you said, they are always preaching safety even though they really want you to drive like you're on PCP after 20 cups of coffee...fast. What they truly care about is liablity, so you can speed all day long in order to do more stops. Just don't have an accident. I like the 5 mph under the limit deal a lot. Let's see the manager write you up for being too safe.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You take it upon yourselves to do the things you mentioned above. Which is worse: getting caught making a delivery with the truck running/door open (automatic letter) or getting back 5 minutes later? Which is worse: getting a speeding ticket (which gets you a letter AND RTB later) or just getting back 'late'? It would take numerous times of 'not hitting goal' to even come close to a warning letter, whereas some of the other stuff you mentioned will get you one instantly. And if they bother you to much about not 'hitting goal', I would hope you have the smarts to ask for a checkride.

Sage advice. Do it "their way", which is by the book every day, all the time. If you are late, just say "are you asking me to speed and drive in an unsafe manner?", or " I was using safe methods per FedEx policy. Do you want me to deviate from those methods? If so, I'd like a checkride and an opportunity to discuss this with the Managing Director. If he/she isn't available, I'd like to talk with the Regional VP".

LTFedExer

All they care about is that some engineers (who have never been on the road) have issued reports showing that efficiency can be "improved". In the virtual world of the FedEx engineer, there is no understanding of traffic, weather conditions, stairs, dogs, clueless customers, blocked alleys, or any of the literally thousands of scenarios that cost couriers time on-road.

Just another strong indicator that we are being "led" by a pack of drooling morons. The biggest drooler would be MT3.
Well, I have to disagree here. Your numbers are based (supposedly) on the average over the last 6 months. So, all the things you mentioned above would already be factored in. The only thing that may not be is any new construction that lasts any length of time....say 6 months or more.
Sage advice. Do it "their way", which is by the book every day, all the time. If you are late, just say "are you asking me to speed and drive in an unsafe manner?", or " I was using safe methods per FedEx policy. Do you want me to deviate from those methods? If so, I'd like a checkride and an opportunity to discuss this with the Managing Director. If he/she isn't available, I'd like to talk with the Regional VP".
See? I don't disagree with everything you say. I just feel you could go about it in a different way.

BrownMeetPurple

My manager states every review why I didn't make my "numbers" and that he understands, no problem. Even emphasizes on never ever speeding to make a stop. See, not every manager is out there to suck blood.

SmithBarney

..."are you asking me to speed and drive in an unsafe manner?", or " I was using safe methods per FedEx policy. Do you want me to deviate from those methods?...
I always use this, and in fact, always ask for ways to improve say: "Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, could you please demonstrate my route and show me where I can improve" first off your manager probably will never drive your whole route so you'll be off the hook there. But perhaps they'll send a swing driver out to "train" you. Make sure you don't speak, and make note of every time he/she breaks the rules. And when you return make sure to note to the manager that the "trainer" was unable to complete the route without breaking the rules... ;) My dispatcher thinks He is my manager often spouting "hurry up" type messages... to which I reply "I'm open to suggestions/recommendations" usually shuts em up.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My manager states every review why I didn't make my "numbers" and that he understands, no problem. Even emphasizes on never ever speeding to make a stop. See, not every manager is out there to suck blood.

Lucky you. He'll eventually be fed to the wolves for not making his numbers.

LTFedExer

I agree with this.
Lucky you. He'll eventually be fed to the wolves for not making his numbers.
Which is why a checkride to 'adjust' your numbers would benefit him. Problem is, changing SPH is like changing the ready time on a dropbox, it takes an act of Congress.

Pottsburg

All so true. Kill them (figuratively) with their own policies. As you said, they are always preaching safety even though they really want you to drive like you're on PCP after 20 cups of coffee...fast. What they truly care about is liablity, so you can speed all day long in order to do more stops. Just don't have an accident. I like the 5 mph under the limit deal a lot. Let's see the manager write you up for being too safe.

Nobody ever lost their job from being to safe! The guy that got fired and eventually his job back has 34 years. People ask him why do u drive so slow? He always replies "why do u drive so fast, you are a hourly employee. Your going to work yourself out of a job". Now think about that "Work yourself out of a job" what does that mean? Prime example: you have a new courier runnin his as* off blowing out his goal on a full time route. Bragging about how well he is doing. Then management says hey this guy is getting his whole route done in 5 hours. Maybe we need to make this route Part time. An then the courier is downgraded. For what?! Working to fast! Your just leaving money on the table people. FedEx doesn't mind paying overtime, take advantage!
Another reason I left. A market level couriers off the street are making $15.53! Now go into your earnings screen on ims. Count your total hours worked and total oT hours worked. Add them up with your wages. Don't worry about vacation or pay outs. If I topped out after 3 years like the old timers and worked the same amount of hours every year as last year. Do ou know what the difference is? I was there 8 solid years and would have topped out in 2021. (Ridiculous I know) so I look at the difference of my wages up to 2021. If I was topped out the whole time I would have made $315,000 more! Yes I said that's a difference of $315,000! Not including payouts or vacation time. Now times that number by courier at your station. 40 at my station alone. That's 12.6 million dollars the company is saving. Now times that by stations around the US. Hundreds of millions of dollars. They know what they are doing! You as courier just need to look at the big picture, the end result!
Best advice you'll ever here! ;). Hate typing wish we could all talk!

franknitty

Our station manager tell us the same thing everyday, yet she continues to permanently eliminate routes at our fedex station.

LTFedExer

Our station manager tell us the same thing everyday, yet she continues to permanently eliminate routes at our fedex station.
Those routes will be back when the couriers absorbing the work start having P1 and SOS lates. Also, by going into another area, your SPH should change. There is a chance they could stay the same, though. Without knowing the EXACT logistics, it would be hard for us here to say.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Also, by going into another area, your SPH should change. There is a chance they could stay the same, though. Without knowing the EXACT logistics, it would be hard for us here to say.

Geeeze man,
You must have just started with Express. :drunkbf:

We all know that X can change your route so that it's on it's ear but, you have to hit the same SPH.

LTFedExer

Geeeze man,
You must have just started with Express. :drunkbf:

We all know that X can change your route so that it's on it's ear but, you have to hit the same SPH.
12+ years
Yes they can change the routes
Yes you will be asked to hit the same SPH
No, you won't hit the SPH (unless you 'cheat')
Yes, the routes will be back
I've seen it happen to many times. They try something just 'to see if it works'. Then, it goes back to the way it was.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
My sister works for FDX. She says Dispatch knows each courier's "Return to Building" time. If you show as still being out on the road past your "RTB" time they will send you a message asking whats keeping you from meeting this goal. This report will also be on your manager's daily morning meeting. Seems like another micro-managing idea.