returning to ups after 4 years of military service (marines) HELP

I return to ups in July from 4 years of service in the marines ( active duty). They are tracking I am returning and told me as soon as I get back I will clock in and I will officially be back. Just wondering how will seniority work? From my military leave and the 2 years I worked there as a sorter in the morning shift it equals up to 6 years of seniority . How easy will it be for me to get a driver spot ? Will it take more than a year for that to happen or will I have to bump someone ? Can I start applying for a driver spot now before I come back to ups this July? And also I’m at the Ontario hub in California .

DriverNerd

I'm in the central so I don't know how it goes in California, but here you go back to your old job (assuming it still exists) and keep all your seniority. Can't apply for a driver job here as they are bid jobs. You have to wait for one. Locally we're very accommodating to veterens and the transition back is easy. I know two guys who returned from active duty and wanted to be drivers and because they had hired other drivers with less seniority than them they let them try to qualify (and they did). They probably could have bumped, but they were just transferred to driver instead.

Yolo

You're going to have to wait until july to sign the bid sheet. You can probably get a 22.4 gig pretty quickly .

542thruNthru

I return to ups in July from 4 years of service in the marines ( active duty). They are tracking I am returning and told me as soon as I get back I will clock in and I will officially be back. Just wondering how will seniority work? From my military leave and the 2 years I worked there as a sorter in the morning shift it equals up to 6 years of seniority . How easy will it be for me to get a driver spot ? Will it take more than a year for that to happen or will I have to bump someone ? Can I start applying for a driver spot now before I come back to ups this July? And also I’m at the Ontario hub in California .

Ontario hub I believe is Local 186 though I could be wrong.

Either way you're in the western region contract.

You will retain all your seniority. The first day you get back tell HR you want to put your name on the PT-FT list. Also make sure they have your correct seniority date.
Screenshot_20200506-201952_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Once you do that its pretty much a waiting game. Ask to see where you fall on the list. That will give you a idea of how long till your become a driver.

You will retain all your seniority. The first day you get back tell HR you want to put your name on the PT-FT list. Also make sure they have your correct seniority date.
View attachment 294416

Once you do that its pretty much a waiting game. Ask to see where you fall on the list. That will give you a idea of how long till your become a driver.
Okay I get it , so maybe I can call HR and and let them know to put me in that PT-FT sheet now . Ima try tomorrow and keep you guys updated. Thanks much !

View attachment 294416

View attachment 294416

Thanks for the info , ima call HR tomorrow to see if I can get in that list now. And I know 3 persons who were hired before me and already driving full time so I should be way above the list .

I'm in the central so I don't know how it goes in California, but here you go back to your old job (assuming it still exists) and keep all your seniority. Can't apply for a driver job here as they are bid jobs. You have to wait for one. Locally we're very accommodating to veterens and the transition back is easy. I know two guys who returned from active duty and wanted to be drivers and because they had hired other drivers with less seniority than them they let them try to qualify (and they did). They probably could have bumped, but they were just transferred to driver instead.

it works the same in my region, they are also bid jobs. We’ll see how it goes.

Overpaid Union Thug

Assuming you took military leave (USERRA) you are entitled whatever your seniority would have qualified you for had you remained at UPS. Including bid jobs, temporary cover driver (if you have that there) and feeders. It doesn’t matter if they’ve already filled the position. You don’t have to wait for a new opening.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
There are Federal Laws that deal with Veterans returning to work also. I would hope UPS wouldn't try any of their normal monkey business when it comes to a returning Vet.

El Correcto

god is dead
There are Federal Laws that deal with Veterans returning to work also. I would hope UPS wouldn't try any of their normal monkey business when it comes to a returning Vet.
They probably won’t even do it on purpose. The place is just a complete :censored2: show right now.

MattM

Assuming you took military leave (USERRA) you are entitled whatever your seniority would have qualified you for had you remained at UPS. Including bid jobs, temporary cover driver (if you have that there) and feeders. It doesn’t matter if they’ve already filled the position. You don’t have to wait for a new opening.
I’m confused.
You can’t just take someone’s active job. He’d essentially be first in line on day 1 when he arrives back for brand new openings. If 23 others signed up to drive on the same day as him, he’d have the 6 years seniority to cut the line.
Now bid lists for other positions (not drivers), he may be able to also cut the line with his active seniority.

Signing the paper sheet to drive is vastly different than other job bid lists. The day you turn in that sheet to drive is basically your seniority (as long as you make it through all the tests and classes).

As far as I know, treat it like fmla. You’ve retained seniority for vacations and new active bid lists, nothing else.

Someone brand new waiting to drive, who signed the bid list in March 2020, should not lose seniority to a person wanting to drive in July who has more ‘company seniority’. Both get called to class in August. There’s truly only one opening. You’re saying the vet has priority? He signed his intent to drive 4 months later

govols019

You smell that?
I’m confused.
You can’t just take someone’s active job. He’d essentially be first in line on day 1 when he arrives back for brand new openings. If 23 others signed up to drive on the same day as him, he’d have the 6 years seniority to cut the line.
Now bid lists for other positions (not drivers), he may be able to also cut the line with his active seniority.

Signing the paper sheet to drive is vastly different than other job bid lists. The day you turn in that sheet to drive is basically your seniority (as long as you make it through all the tests and classes).

As far as I know, treat it like fmla. You’ve retained seniority for vacations and new active bid lists, nothing else.

Someone brand new waiting to drive, who signed the bid list in March 2020, should not lose seniority to a person wanting to drive in July who has more ‘company seniority’. Both get called to class in August. There’s truly only one opening. You’re saying the vet has priority? He signed his intent to drive 4 months later

How was the veteran supposed to sign this mythical bid sheet in March 2020 if he was on active duty?

He ain't cutting :censored2:....his seniority stays intact during his military service. You don't like it? Tough.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You can’t just take someone’s active job.

Wanna bet?

He’d essentially be first in line on day 1 when he arrives back for brand new openings.

Nope.

The day you turn in that sheet to drive is basically your seniority (as long as you make it through all the tests and classes).

Not always.

You’ve retained seniority for vacations and new active bid lists, nothing else.

Incorrect.

You’re saying the vet has priority?

Yep. Not because he is a vet, but because he has more seniority.

He signed his intent to drive 4 months later

Doesn't matter under USERRA.

USERRA provides that returning service-members are reemployed in the job that they would have attained had they not been absent for military service (the long-standing "escalator" principle), with the same seniority, status and pay, as well as other rights and benefits determined by seniority. USERRA also requires that reasonable efforts (such as training or retraining) be made to enable returning service members to refresh or upgrade their skills to help them qualify for reemployment. The law clearly provides for alternative reemployment positions if the service member cannot qualify for the "escalator" position.

Overpaid Union Thug

I’m confused.

The law is crystal clear. UPS occasionally has a rogue center manager (or higher) challenge it and they lose every single time.

UnionGuy

Stay in. I hope you haven't taken terminal leave. I regret leaving AD Army and I am reenlisting hopefully by July. I got to MEPS this month. I recommend you stay in. If you hate your mos then try to switch it. If the marines don't allow a reclass, then switch over to Army. Marines don't have to go through BCT. You would just go to AIT and go to your unit afterwards.