Revenue Recovery/ Any auditors here?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

JP, I am a FT driver and I have a suggestion which I think may increase employee participation in the revenue recovery program. I suggest that the employee who initiates a revenue recovery issue, whether it be a package, Call Tag or RS, which produces revenue for UPS be given a percentage of the revenue recovered. I am talking about Call Tags issued for 1 lb and the package weighs 50, or a shipper who does not apply dim wt to an obviously O/S pkg which weighs 5 lbs but should be O/S 1 or even O/S 2 (35 and 70 lbs, respectively) or for any of the other situations which may apply here. This money could either be added to the employee paycheck or to the Amex sales lead card and adjusted for taxes in the same manner as sales lead income is.

I will also be looking forward to your input here. Dave.

JP, I suggest that the employee who initiates a revenue recovery issue, be given a percentage of the revenue recovered

Funny you say that... We joke around about commission all the time.
Any type of commission will never happen for one reason, we make the company too much money. (And still get treated like outcasts... At least in my Hub) We work very closely with the finance department, so we're all on first a first name basis. The Laurel Mountain District Controller is up our butt all the time. It's money, money, money.

Between the auditors and the Dimensional Weight system, our hub recovers $100,000-$200,000 a month between all of the shifts. (It's insane)

When it comes to a lot of the issues, it's all politics. I can list handfuls of shippers who UPS knowingly lets 150+ pound packages in the system because they don't want to ship them freight. Instead of RTS'ing them, we just hit them with the bill and send them on their way. (I feel bad for the Metro drivers that have to deliver these things.)

I'm sure you guys see a lot of the same things from the same shippers. Reason is, a lot of big companies negotiate a specified rate to ship with us. They in return become untouchable until the contract is up. (Once the contract is up, one of two things happen: 1. They renew, or 2. They leave)

It is very frustrating at times, because we have goals that are impossible to make. On average 1/3 of what I bill gets wrote off once the shipper complains about their bill. Not to mention all of the shippers that are exempt from jump street.

I can see the job being eliminated in the next 7-10 years.

Just imagine how much more money could be recovered if there were more participation in the program.

Are you referring to those outside of the department? (ie: unloaders, sorters, drivers, etc...) If so, I agree with you there.

At my Hub, we have one of the bigger revenue departments in the country, and there are a lot of people (management esp.) whom don't even know what we do...

N

NJhere

for all you guys who want a percentage

Are you willing to pay up when you make a mistake? cause a Missort? Damage? Missed delivery? If you are ready to accept that responsability them maybe you can go after a % of recovery or increases volume

drewed

Shankman
Re: for all you guys who want a percentage

Are you willing to pay up when you make a mistake? cause a Missort? Damage? Missed delivery? If you are ready to accept that responsability them maybe you can go after a % of recovery or increases volume

actually you can be held financially liable for those....

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
In Spokane, they installed scanners that measure and scan the package and automatically assign os1 and os2 to them....don't know how it works, but it sucks because they replaced virtually all of the rev. recovery people. I was an auditor once and actually it was the most boring job I've ever done.

Mike Hawk

The loaders in my center would be broke if they had to pay for misloads, I found 8 this morning, 7 on one truck, 5 on the 3 shelves I looked through before I was called back to SPA air, 2 on the floor label up, happened to glance down as I walked out.
Rev. audit program seems like a good idea to make money for UPS and the employees, but my building has no revenue auditor, so not sure how I could participate. I tried to convince my sups to give me money for finding misloads, didn't work so well.

Mike Hawk

It would be hard to govern the program, how would you prevent people from purposely misloading and having their buddies find and split the money?
Valid point. I still think there should be a bonus for good load quality/no misloads. An extra .50 an hour for say 1/3000 misloads and an extra .50 an hour for good load quality, stop for stop loading. That’s an extra $25 a week, which equates to .6 hours of driver OT(they all work past 8 hours so any extra time sorting/running misloads is on OT). Divide that by the 3 drivers per preloader and that’s .2 hours per driver this costs, divide further by 5 days of the week and you have .04 hours, times 60 min/hour and that’s 2.4 minutes per driver per day this would cost.

Ask any driver weather dealing with misloads/sorting and backtracking because of bad load quality costs him more or less than 2.4 minutes. They could double the bonus and still stay ahead.

But... it is extra cost which in theory is not needed because in theory every preloader loads perfectly, as you can tell none of these theorists are related to Einstein.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Re: for all you guys who want a percentage

I have no problem with that and have had to do so in the past. (DR claim over $100.)

In Spokane, they installed scanners that measure and scan the package and automatically assign os1 and os2 to them....don't know how it works, but it sucks because they replaced virtually all of the rev. recovery people. I was an auditor once and actually it was the most boring job I've ever done.

We have the IDS/EDS system as well. The only thing the overhead scanners can't do is weigh the packages. The automated system has taken away much of our work...

The job is definitely boring at times. By the way, OS1/OS2/OS3 has all been done away with. The billing system is different these days.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have the IDS/EDS system as well. The only thing the overhead scanners can't do is weigh the packages. The automated system has taken away much of our work...

The job is definitely boring at times. By the way, OS1/OS2/OS3 has all been done away with. The billing system is different these days.

So why are they still shipped this way?

IDoLessWorkThanMost

There's lots of R/R in the hub I'm at. We have also joked about taking home a commission. Of course, then people would be pulling every package from the belts and having stacks and stacks and nothing would be flowing to outbounds and etc :funny:

DS

Fenderbender
In Spokane, they installed scanners that measure and scan the package and automatically assign os1 and os2 to them.....
This should be done at every hub.I agree with over9 on this.There should be a discepancy sort where you drop packages that are obviously not 3 lbs .Also, a lot of shippers prefer to use regular waybills to avoid dimweight charges.I have one large respectable aerospace place I pick up at and every friday I get 3-5 bar fridge sized boxes that say 4 lbs but are closer to 44 lbs,I just change the weight on the billing copy to what I think it is.Iv'e been picking up there 10 years and they never complain.