Right hand turns?

Everybody hates IE, but without us the company wouldn't have cost goals in order to be productive. Do you think a company which employs approx. half a million people could be profitable without people analyzing how we spend money?? could you do your personal finances without ever looking at your account balances and checking transactions??

AND WE CAN'T ALL BE DRIVERS. why do so many people cry that people in suits are only there because they can't hack it as a driver? it's quite funny.

A big reason why people resent IE is because of lack of communication. Would you feel differently about IE people if they came out and taught/explained methods? Most IE people (i say most because there are people in every function that really aren't any good), do know how to do the job. You can't devise work methods without knowing how to use them and explain why they are more productive/safe than another way of doing the job. I am an IE person who came from the night sort operation. I can see why people don't like IE. IE people are supposed to come out to the operation and work with FT Sups, PT Sups, and Hourlies to show them how to use methods. how many times do you see that happen, though? if it happened more, i bet people would start to hate IE less.

There is a new initiative for IE supervisors to give PT supervisors and FT supervisors training on proper work methods. I know when i was a PT sup that i was never taught any methods.

I would just like to see one IE person brown up, get in the brown truck and show me they can hit those numbers everyday for a week. THEN I would stop bitching about IE.

JustTired

free at last.......
I would just like to see one IE person brown up, get in the brown truck and show me they can hit those numbers everyday for a week. THEN I would stop bitching about IE.

I'd go along with you on that one. It's not so much the programs they implement, it's the time savings they think they will get. Overly optimistic on that count.

As far as right hand turns.....good idea in the city....lousy idea in the rural areas. Yet I'm sure routes are set up that way. Just like the "remote delivery" deal years ago. Great idea out in Montana, the Dakotas, etc. Bad idea in fairly populated states where the savings, versus customer (dis)satisfaction, was not worth it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I totally agree. I think IE can do a fine job, but when time studies in some buildings are older than them, I would like to know their purpose, I would like them to show me what Im doing wrong. If they could do that, I also would shut up, and that is rare. :surprised:
I'd go along with you on that one. It's not so much the programs they implement, it's the time savings they think they will get. Overly optimistic on that count.

As far as right hand turns.....good idea in the city....lousy idea in the rural areas. Yet I'm sure routes are set up that way. Just like the "remote delivery" deal years ago. Great idea out in Montana, the Dakotas, etc. Bad idea in fairly populated states where the savings, versus customer (dis)satisfaction, was not worth it.
The remote thing could have been useful in some situations as you stated, but Mgmt used it as a dispatching tool. I was dispatching at that time, and you should NOT remote main st, anywhere USA, and that is what we were told to do. It should have been left to driver discretion, but we are just dumb truck drivers. Had it been done that way considering drivers knew that farmer Joe needed the part for his million dollar piece of farm equipment which was broken down, but widow Jones did not need her qvc, it could have worked. JMHO

Cementups

Box Monkey
The local radio station read a copy of this report today about the right turns. I thought for sure I would be inundated with questions from my customers about it. Surprisingly only 1 person said a single word about it.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'm too busy explaining why I'm late due to fast lane, late starts, late air, cut preload hours, broken area's etc to answer that question.

JustTired

free at last.......
The remote thing could have been useful in some situations as you stated, but Mgmt used it as a dispatching tool. I was dispatching at that time, and you should NOT remote main st, anywhere USA, and that is what we were told to do. It should have been left to driver discretion, but we are just dumb truck drivers. Had it been done that way considering drivers knew that farmer Joe needed the part for his million dollar piece of farm equipment which was broken down, but widow Jones did not need her qvc, it could have worked. JMHO

I guess I was part of the problem, then. My philosophy was "If it's in the truck, it gets delivered." Came from years of being told "Every package, every day". As far as whether widow Jones needs her QVC that day. Who are we to decide that for her? The customers aren't stupid (well, most of them). They know if they order it today they will get it in 2 days, etc. Can't tell you how many would tell me they tracked their pkg and it showed it was in the center and should have been out for delivery yesterday. Or that their pkg was being held for address problems and such.

I believe that as a company whose only job is to provide service, we ought to be providing it. The customer (whether on the shipping or receiving end) deserves to get what they paid for. JMHO

bellesotico

BOXstar
Everybody hates IE, but without us the company wouldn't have cost goals in order to be productive. Do you think a company which employs approx. half a million people could be profitable without people analyzing how we spend money?? could you do your personal finances without ever looking at your account balances and checking transactions??

AND WE CAN'T ALL BE DRIVERS. why do so many people cry that people in suits are only there because they can't hack it as a driver? it's quite funny.

A big reason why people resent IE is because of lack of communication. Would you feel differently about IE people if they came out and taught/explained methods? Most IE people (i say most because there are people in every function that really aren't any good), do know how to do the job. You can't devise work methods without knowing how to use them and explain why they are more productive/safe than another way of doing the job. I am an IE person who came from the night sort operation. I can see why people don't like IE. IE people are supposed to come out to the operation and work with FT Sups, PT Sups, and Hourlies to show them how to use methods. how many times do you see that happen, though? if it happened more, i bet people would start to hate IE less.

There is a new initiative for IE supervisors to give PT supervisors and FT supervisors training on proper work methods. I know when i was a PT sup that i was never taught any methods.

I understand cost goals..How does the company address cost savings, besides cutting hours, laying off employees and other cost saving "measures" that affect the people that (some literally!) give their blood, sweat and most likely reluctantly, tears, helping run this mammoth!
All I hear about is faster faster..more efficiency and what that ultimately equates to is at times working employees into the ground. Has the company considered any cost saving ideas that actually work to the advantage of a UPS employee?

How much fuel and time is wasted running misloads?

I had this same question myself. Keeping to the subject of cost savings..has UPS considered RF ID technology in eliminating misloads? It seems like it would be the next obvious thing to do with the implementation of PAS.

Just wondering.

New Englander

On paper PAS works perfectly, IE will never believe your blasphemy about misloads!

Human error can never be fixed.

You now have to have the preloaders look at the Pal Label, verify it's correct with the address on the box and remember what truck they are running into with it.

Mike Hawk

In the first 6 months of this year that I loaded, I had 5 misloads, 2 were on a day that I was on a conference call at the end of the day and some new guy loaded my trucks, so really only 3 in 6 months. It is really not that hard, if you try.

New Englander

In the first 6 months of this year that I loaded, I had 5 misloads, 2 were on a day that I was on a conference call at the end of the day and some new guy loaded my trucks, so really only 3 in 6 months. It is really not that hard, if you try.

5 misloads that you KNOW of. Now that drivers are usually forced to go deliver these misloads regardless of the area......they are typically sheeted as NSN.

So I'm sure you have a bit more that just are not getting reported for fear of our day being extended even more.

Right or wrong - it's happening.

brownrodster

There are many missloads that the preloader will never know about. I've done routes where daily there would be missloads for the neighboring route. Those types of missloads you just del like they aren't missloads. The only missloads that are reported are the ones that are too far away for hte driver to deliver.

I had 7 missloads yesturday and 31 more stops than my stop count said.

Mike Hawk

I know my drivers pretty well, they would tell me if there are any load issues. When I first started I had load issues and they would tell me, I have fixed all the problems they told me about. They have talked to me in the past about it so not sure why they would keep it from me now if I was screwing up.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Talk about misloads.
Today I had two late air.
Guess why.
Not pas and pre edd, or whatever................
My first stop has been the same and has been like this for 10 yrs, Ive had the route about 6yrs.
Goes on floor pside.
Was on top shelf d side, the section I deliver at 5pm, resi.
Right there is all my air, and 5 other pkgs for this stop.
No one seemed to care, except me.

New Englander

Talk about misloads.
Today I had two late air.
Guess why.
Not pas and pre edd, or whatever................
My first stop has been the same and has been like this for 10 yrs, Ive had the route about 6yrs.
Goes on floor pside.
Was on top shelf d side, the section I deliver at 5pm, resi.
Right there is all my air, and 5 other pkgs for this stop.
No one seemed to care, except me.

Were they Pal'd to that section or did the preloader just put them there.

Bad Gas!

We had a time study last summer and everyone in ctr. gained when times were put in..D.M. disallowed study because this would cause extra routes to be put in...4 months latter we all lost 30 min...Presto..Just make up your own studies as long as drivers lose time and co. can cut routes...Where else will money to pay I.E. come from.These guys are great paper drivers.On paper every route is easy..

bellesotico

BOXstar
On paper PAS works perfectly, IE will never believe your blasphemy about misloads!

IE should be the people all over the technology. It works the same way those sensors do in retail stores. But in the case of UPS they would put a tiny little sensor in the smart label..like the ones they put in tap and pay credit cards and things of that nature..and then basically when we are loading the truck if you take a package into the wrong truck it sets off an alarm.

I was just wondering if it was something that was being considered or had been considered.