Right to caucus/vote/work in polls?

Does anyone know the extent of our protection to vote and caucus and work as election judges on Election Day?

Are you talking about political or union elections?

I’m sorry, I was unclear. I mean more generally, in non-Teamster elections.

Ex: Do we have the right to be sure we can go to caucus, vote, work as an election judge, etc? Is there any protection ensuring that we can do these things?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Just take the day off or use an Option Day. We have early voting, but usually I vote by mail for convenience sake. I went to a county political event today that is organizing a citizens group against local politicians.

rod

Retired 22 years
Absentee ballot--mail it in. They aren't going to give you time off just to vote. Most polls open at 7am and close at 8 pm. Are you working 13 hours a day now?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I’m sorry, I was unclear. I mean more generally, in non-Teamster elections.

Ex: Do we have the right to be sure we can go to caucus, vote, work as an election judge, etc? Is there any protection ensuring that we can do these things?

As Scratch said, just take the day off. The only restriction would be not wearing anything that would reflect poorly upon your employer.

35years

Gravy route
The answer depends on the State you live in.

In my State, the employer must allow the employee to take the time off to vote.
If the employer denies the employee the time off, the person who denies the employee is guilty of a crime...a misdemeanor with the possibility of imprisonment.

In my State the employer must also allow at least 20% of the workforce the day off to work as an election judge. The employee just has to inform the employer 20 days in advance.

We have drivers that take the day off in November every year.

When they say you can't have it off, read them the State statute and mention that you will be reporting them to the State authorities. The part about criminal prosecution usually changes their answer quickly.

upschuck

Polls are open from 6-6 here, certainly everyone can find time, if they want to. If you want to work at a precinct, then you have to take an option day, or the like.

35years

Gravy route
Polls are open from 6-6 here, certainly everyone can find time, if they want to. If you want to work at a precinct, then you have to take an option day, or the like.
Not here...
If you are out of option days, which is typical in November, they still have to let you off.

rod

Retired 22 years
How can UPS be forced to let people off if you can vote with an absentee ballot. I would think UPS would fight that.