Right to Grievance

So, can he go back to the hub?

Street hire. What job would he go back to? Could he be let go?

I was in a similar limbo. My Automotive job was eliminated by change of operations. There was no other job to go back to. They let us transfer to another building by local agreement. I was DQ'd as a pkg driver. I grieved it. They gave me another "try". I qualified. Saying that, I'm not sure what would have happened if I would have DQ'd again. Never got that far. Technically, I didn't have a job.......

BTW, I had a "fiery" Union Steward that was highly motivated and paid attention to what went on in our Center. I owe him much thanks. He knew exactly what was happening during my DQ.

To the OP: If "they" don't want you to qualify....you won't. BTW, we had to have 5 days in a row "scratch" to qual.

BTW, Company worked me through peak while being DQ'd.....and still made me go to Panel. We never actually went before the Panel and a deal was cut(second chance) in the hotel coffee shop. The Panel was the first week in Jan. so it wasn't too long to wait. I will say, working Peak allowed me to learn all the tips and tricks of running scratch. Miles are huge. Taking every shortcut in the book. Picking up smalls. How to save time/make time. A lot of working off the clock to make things "look better". The other thing that saved me was I never had a "training route". My Steward noted this and said so. They just gave me some stops and a pickup run....made up. Never taking lunch....worked right through it. Paper time card said I was on meal....

Of course you learn and I NEVER do these things now. But I did what I had to do. I also submit, it shouldn't take all of this stuff to qualify.
Maybe I should find this “hotel coffee shop”?

I agree about learning all these “tricks”, a lot of them I wasn’t even aware of. I focused on being safe first, in hindsight, a mistake. Which is sad to say….Hell, I even followed and observed the guy running my route, in my own car, on the day they called me off. It helped, but not enough obviously.

FWW, the union is approaching this as I am fully vested, as I paid dues starting back in November as a seasonal, with no payment gap.

Food for thought for others, if in a similar situation.

quad decade guy

Maybe I should find this “hotel coffee shop”?

I agree about learning all these “tricks”, a lot of them I wasn’t even aware of. I focused on being safe first, in hindsight, a mistake. Which is sad to say….Hell, I even followed and observed the guy running my route, in my own car, on the day they called me off. It helped, but not enough obviously.
If you follow the methods and safe first....you'll never qualify.

They want you to qualify at a certain pace and then hold you to it. It will never change. If they don't like you.....you will never qualify.

I just got a call from the Local President, he feels I was worked 34 days, which I was, but management claimed the Saturdays don’t count, and certainly I nvr thought to question it at the time.

They are filing a grievance on my behalf now. I hope we prevail, the calendar doesn’t lie, but stranger things have happened 😳😳😳

I just got a call from the Local President, he feels I was worked 34 days, which I was, but management claimed the Saturdays don’t count, and certainly I nvr thought to question it at the time.

They are filing a grievance on my behalf now. I hope we prevail, the calendar doesn’t lie, but stranger things have happened 😳😳😳
Saturdays don't count.
I think you got this one brother

They like to make up the rules as they go along

Wait, I’m confused then?

You said “Saturday don’t count”, which is what management would have said.

The union is saying Saturday do count, in which case, I was worked 34 days.

If you’re right, I don’t have it. 🤷‍♂️

I just got call from the Union. Report to work tomorrow morning, fully freaking qualified. I’m in shock since I still can’t believe it.

TEAMSTERS STRONG!!! Thank you to all my brothers n sisters in Brown!!

trickpony1

They decided they didn’t want him after all and were hoping he wouldn’t question it or fight it probably.
Anyone want to bet on what happens next?
Option A: OP wants to prove his worth, buy favor with the center manager and:
falsifies something;
has an auto accident or:
pisses off a supe

or

Option B: OP falls for one of their traps.

I wish the best for the OP but he's in a real vulnerable position now and management has nothing but time on their hands.

Good luck.

Optimistically helping.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Anyone want to bet on what happens next?
Option A: OP wants to prove his worth, buy favor with the center manager and:
falsifies something;
has an auto accident or:
pisses off a supe

or

Option B: OP falls for one of their traps.

I wish the best for the OP but he's in a real vulnerable position now and management has nothing but time on their hands.

Good luck.

Optimistically helping.

At least he is going into it from the beginning knowing management is not to be trusted.

mombie

Hi all. I found this forum after trying to research my rights after being DQ’d on day 28. To keep it short, many posters here advise in some cases for newbies to “file a grievance”. In my case, I had 2 supervisors, as well as my center manager advise the same.

BUT….I’m now told we have no right to the grievance process as “unqualified” drivers. What gives? How could no one mention this before, and not know the rules, including one of my sup’s w 20+ years??!?

“Expect the Unexpected” indeed….

Teamsters Local 455 Commerce City CO

THX
I jsut got DQ'd as well but for different reasons....... did you get the drive the truck before you started your packet? like did you do the driver drill or anything like that?

quad decade guy

I jsut got DQ'd as well but for different reasons....... did you get the drive the truck before you started your packet? like did you do the driver drill or anything like that?
No. I was literally handed keys to a bulk van my first day and told to make a pickup.

No practice. The shifter knob didn't even have the pattern for the trans. on it.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Thanks for the responses.

I had 3 scratches in the last 7 days, and yesterday, Tuesday would have been Day 28. I was also called off on one day, so technically, it was Day 27. So I should have had 3 more days to scratch twice.

I was told by the center manager, who broke the news to me, he thought if given an extension, I would def make it, but “corporate “ just wasn’t going for it.

I was officially hired, off street, Nov 3 as seasonal driver. Finished 2nd week January. Then re-hired a week after, new start date of 25 January.
If you were brought back as a seasonal hire, it doesn't sound like you qualified for the Union yet? If you never qualified as Union, you don't have rights to the grievance process. Having said that, the Union doesn't want the company setting up unobtainable goals and standards and could fight it for you.