Right To Work ("for less", if you like) legislation in Minnesota

PobreCarlos

Guys;

Indiana is a done deal. Looks like the action now is moving to states like Minnesota. With that in mind, I thought perhaps a discussion of THAT state's interests ought to come into play. Below are links that, as a starter, might frame the opposing points of view.

First, the MN AFL-CIO

"Right to Work" Laws: Get the Facts | Minnesota AFL-CIO

...then an article from "TPM" (not really sure what that is yet; I'll admit I haven't dug too deep into sources)

Minnesota GOP Legislators Eye ‘Right-To-Work’ Constitutional Amendment | TPMDC

Those from Michigan might want to keep a watch out as well.

brown_trousers

Issues like these should be decided by popular vote, not by a select few legislators. It ought to be the residents of minnesota deciding this issue.

brown_trousers

Change the State constitution then ... opinions in this context means nothing.
Its called a referendum, and its an option the legislators can choose when passing a law to let the people vote on it.

lol.... And since when do we keep opinions to ourselves here on browncafe?

PobreCarlos

brown_trousers;

Actually, that's the way it looks thing are going. All the MN. legislature is pursuing is the placement of the amendment initiative on the Fall ballot; i.e. - it WILL be decided by a popular vote by the citizens of the state. On another thread, a poster noted that unions had a right to grumble because the legislature was the entity that made the decision in Indiana, rather than the people directly. Here, organized labor is grumbling that, in Minnesota, the people will make the decision, rather than letting the legislature decide.. Fact is, it doesn't matter how the decision to go "RTW" is made, organized labor is going to complain about it, and hollar to high heaven that it was arrived at "undemocratically". I think that's what's called "wanting to have it both ways".

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Its called a referendum, and its an option the legislators can choose when passing a law to let the people vote on it.

lol.... And since when do we keep opinions to ourselves here on browncafe?

OK...you implied that it was the legislature with your statement "Issues like these should be decided by popular vote, not by a select few legislators. It ought to be the residents of minnesota deciding this issue."
I guess I should not have believed you ... I'll know better next time.

My statement, "Change the State constitution then ... opinions in this context means nothing." was referring to your opinion that you did not like the way it was being considered. It has nothing to do with expressing an opinion on Brown Cafe. Any opinion is gladly accepted here.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Either does uneducated critisism!

I think the correct word is Neither.

There was no criticism intended. I was simply pointing out that the laws of MN determine how this issue will be considered.

In regards to "uneducated", I made the assumption that what you posted, "Issues like these should be decided by popular vote, not by a select few legislators. It ought to be the residents of minnesota deciding this issue." was educated. I will not make that assumption again.

brown_trousers

brown_trousers;

Actually, that's the way it looks thing are going. All the MN. legislature is pursuing is the placement of the amendment initiative on the Fall ballot; i.e. - it WILL be decided by a popular vote by the citizens of the state. On another thread, a poster noted that unions had a right to grumble because the legislature was the entity that made the decision in Indiana, rather than the people directly. Here, organized labor is grumbling that, in Minnesota, the people will make the decision, rather than letting the legislature decide.. Fact is, it doesn't matter how the decision to go "RTW" is made, organized labor is going to complain about it, and hollar to high heaven that it was arrived at "undemocratically". I think that's what's called "wanting to have it both ways".

im glad to hear that the issue may get to be voted on by the people. that is the very definition of democracy.

to any of them who would call that "undemocratic", go read a dictionary, the definition of democracy is very short and clear.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

im glad to hear that the issue may get to be voted on by the people. that is the very definition of democracy.

to any of them who would call that "undemocratic", go read a dictionary, the definition of democracy is very short and clear.

The only flaw in this is that most of the voters will not take the time to research the issue and will instead rely upon sound bytes to make their decision.

brown_trousers

The only flaw in this is that most of the voters will not take the time to research the issue and will instead rely upon sound bytes to make their decision.

that is one of the downfalls of our system for sure, but the alternative could be much worse

the same thing could be said about anything we vote for, like electing senators, legislators, voting for the president, or even voting for local initiatives. But even considering the unknowledgable voters, id rather have it put to a vote, than lose the power to vote altogether.