Right to work

Thatguy123

I'm a relatively new full time cover driver and have been with the company for 7 years. Long story short, we got a fill in center manager for a month because our other one is out with surgery. Now this new center manager is saying on days that us cover drivers are extras, we can't ask other drivers with more seniority to go home because we're at the bottom of the totem pole. Really?? They want to go home so why does it matter.. Also, they've talked about doing layoffs since it's slowed down and making us do preload. Am I guaranteed 8 hrs of work if that happens and do I stay at driver pay? This is just bs to me and all started once she took over.

I'm a relatively new full time cover driver and have been with the company for 7 years. Long story short, we got a fill in center manager for a month because our other one is out with surgery. Now this new center manager is saying on days that us cover drivers are extras, we can't ask other drivers with more seniority to go home because we're at the bottom of the totem pole. Really?? They want to go home so why does it matter.. Also, they've talked about doing layoffs since it's slowed down and making us do preload. Am I guaranteed 8 hrs of work if that happens and do I stay at driver pay? This is just bs to me and all started once she took over.
Only 8/hour guarantee if you drive and deliver ground.

Thatguy123

That's what I have been doing. She's now saying we can't do that because we have less seniority. My thing is I make about $10 less than they do and they want to go home. Wouldn't that be more motivation for them wanting me to work

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's what I have been doing. She's now saying we can't do that because we have less seniority. My thing is I make about $10 less than they do and they want to go home. Wouldn't that be more motivation for them wanting me to work

When I was a casual (cover driver) I used to show up dressed and ready to work. There was always someone willing to take the day off.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Rule number 1. This place rarely makes sense.

Rainman

Its all good.
Depends on your area. Where I am if you are full time permanent ( not temp driver) you can bump 2 part time positions to get an 8 hour guarantee. Ask your shop steward.

upssouth

You are guaranteed to work 8 as a full time driver. Make them send you home if there is no work available. Then file for your daily guarantee. Also watch your on roads and file on them if they work while you're not. They will find you work.

It is? Care to give me the article and subsection?
Its in the local,not the master.
IMG_20150410_204755642.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are guaranteed to work 8 as a full time driver. Make them send you home if there is no work available. Then file for your daily guarantee. Also watch your on roads and file on them if they work while you're not. They will find you work.

The OP is a cover driver who is only guaranteed his 8 if he actually works that day.