RIP...finally.

bbsam

Staff member
I've been referencing some of my favorite authors from my youth lately and just found out he died in 2001. I don't think there is a day that goes by that I don't ponder how an elected official would fare in the "Total Perspective Vortex". The number "42" will always have special meaning. I think I want to get a dog just so I can name him Zaphod. So to Douglas Adams I say "So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Anyone else have recurring influences from long dead authors or others?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've been referencing some of my favorite authors from my youth lately and just found out he died in 2001. I don't think there is a day that goes by that I don't ponder how an elected official would fare in the "Total Perspective Vortex". The number "42" will always have special meaning. I think I want to get a dog just so I can name him Zaphod. So to Douglas Adams I say "So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Science Fiction writer a huge influence on your life ... that helps explain your economic and political views. :wink2:

bbsam

Staff member
Science Fiction writer a huge influence on your life ... that helps explain your economic and political views. :wink2:
Guilty. You might give it a try lest you become as boorish as a Vogon with a fiercely painful urinary tract infection.:wink2:

P

pickup

Ahh, I thought that "42" was familiar when I saw it in the CERN thread. I just couldn't place why. The ultimate answer to the universe......

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Guilty. You might give it a try lest you become as boorish as a Vogon with a fiercely painful urinary tract infection.:wink2:

Michener was my favorite ... I know I must have read at least 30 of his books.
Asimov and Vonnegut were my next favorites.

bbsam

Staff member
Michener was my favorite ... I know I must have read at least 30 of his books.
Asimov and Vonnegut were my next favorites.
Good for you. No "fire-pee" for you. Tolkien was tops for me then Lewis, some Mark Twain, Patrick friend. McManus, Piers Anthony, David Eddings, etc. I still haven't read any Harry Potter even though I here nothing but rave reviews and I love J. K. Rowling's personal story. Maybe that will be something me and the kids explore together.