Road Test for Feeders

Backdoor

What could one expect for a road test for casual feeder driver??
I have a apointment at Harisburg , PA this comeing tuesday.
The HR lady has been nice so far but simply said she just gets me thru the hiring process after that she dosent have a clue.
She did say if i stuck with this 3 to 4 years i could see a ft spot in feeders any truth to that or is this rare in PA.

Basically they are going to see if you drive like you`re going to kill someone. Use your head and drive like a professional and you`ll be OK.

Bryishre

ktm atv racer
I would think you would have to do the course just like everyone else. Im a cover driver. So for me i call that casual driving. Just learn the 5 seeing habits and 10 point commentary. Lift lower ,backing, slips and falls, etc. Thats the stuff you have to know. Its a 2 week course its very intense. Not many make it in my bldg. So study study study. For the 3 to 4 year thing for a full time spot. I dont know. My bldg is big and with the economy the way it is. They didnt every put a list up last year and im sure they are not going to put one up this year Good luck to you..

bluehdmc

They'll probably have you pre-trip a tractor, hook up and pre-trip a trailer, drive around town to check your starting out, shifting, and cornering and then you'll back the trailer into a spot and drop it. Make sure to do the air brake test when you pre-trip the tractor, try to keep both hands on the wheel, don't follow too close and check mirrors. You should be ok, in NJ if they hire you as a casual they train you for another week.
As far as getting a permanent job it's a possibility, I believe they do hire off the street in PA. (some places dont'). They've hired casuals in NJ, although the way the economy is I wouldn't expect to get hired next year. Good Luck!

Backdoor

Thanks, I drive an eaton 8ll T600 Kenworth pulling a lowboy hualling heavy equipment now.So it sounds like i shouldnt be to worried. Whats trans does UPS run? our UPS tractors well maintained i'am sure as a casual driver you dont get the cream of the crop when you do drive? thanks agian

raceanoncr

I would think you would have to do the course just like everyone else. Im a cover driver. So for me i call that casual driving. Just learn the 5 seeing habits and 10 point commentary. Lift lower ,backing, slips and falls, etc. Thats the stuff you have to know. Its a 2 week course its very intense. Not many make it in my bldg. So study study study. For the 3 to 4 year thing for a full time spot. I dont know. My bldg is big and with the economy the way it is. They didnt every put a list up last year and im sure they are not going to put one up this year Good luck to you..

Road test for seasonal or new-hires is different than being hired and taking complete course.

raceanoncr

Thanks, I drive an eaton 8ll T600 Kenworth pulling a lowboy hualling heavy equipment now.So it sounds like i shouldnt be to worried. Whats trans does UPS run? our UPS tractors well maintained i'am sure as a casual driver you dont get the cream of the crop when you do drive? thanks agian

Most of the stuff we got now are all 10-sps. Piece o cake. Well maintained? That's a judgement call. The stuff we got now is way better than when I started.

Most are single axle. The new twin-screw Binders are still one rough-ridin piece o crap, tho. Geez, I don't think International ever built a good tractor.

finaddict

Get a copy of the 5 seeing habits and ten point commentary. Know them and you're sure to impress. Guarenteed. Should be able to find them on here or Google, if not ask the HR person or any manager at UPS. They are printed on a pocket size laminated card. We are required to know them and they are actually what will keep you out of almost all accidents.

P

pickup

most likely , you'll pull a pup.

I'll give you some highlights as I have a tractor trailer road test report in front of me

COUPLING -back under slowly ,

test fifth wheel lock

visually check coupling

ENGINE START

parking brake applied
transmission neutral
clutch depressed
uses starter properly
reads gauges
seat belt

ENGINE OPERATION
does not lug
does not overspeed
checks gauges

USE OF CLUTCH
disengages completely
engages gently
double clutches properly (my note, some evaluators let you float gears and/or single clutch ask)
does not ride
does not coast (my note, some evaluators don't want you downshifting too much towards a stop, say it wastes fuel, they may want you to coast then)

USE OF TRANSMISSION
starts in low gear
uses proper sequence
shifts without clashing
upgear
downgear
timing

USE OF BRAKES
applies gently
smooth stop(no rebound)
does not fan
H/V(hand valve) when stopped in traffic

BACKING
checks rear
sounds horn
backs slowly
checks mirrors
looks out windows
uses other aids
steers correctly
does not hit dock(my note:you'll probably back into a space, not onto a dock)

Like someone else said, they are looking for competency and lack of bad attitude. A lot of stuff that has been drilled into your head in other places will be contradicted on your test and during training . If you can drive, you will pass the road test with some minor corrections of your technique

Then they will work with you and on you for a week to beat out what they perceive are your bad habits

What will be interesting is that maybe one day, your on road trainer might want to finish early and will rush you and tell you to pick it up and weave through traffic while at the same time talking to you about safety and 10 point commentaries while having you violate them at the same time

May seem like a long post, but as others pointed out I have a lot of free time

City Driver

most likely , you'll pull a pup.

I'll give you some highlights as I have a tractor trailer road test report in front of me

COUPLING -back under slowly ,

test fifth wheel lock

visually check coupling

ENGINE START

parking brake applied
transmission neutral
clutch depressed
uses starter properly
reads gauges
seat belt

ENGINE OPERATION
does not lug
does not overspeed
checks gauges

USE OF CLUTCH
disengages completely
engages gently
double clutches properly (my note, some evaluators let you float gears and/or single clutch ask)
does not ride
does not coast (my note, some evaluators don't want you downshifting too much towards a stop, say it wastes fuel, they may want you to coast then)

USE OF TRANSMISSION
starts in low gear
uses proper sequence
shifts without clashing
upgear
downgear
timing

USE OF BRAKES
applies gently
smooth stop(no rebound)
does not fan
H/V(hand valve) when stopped in traffic

BACKING
checks rear
sounds horn
backs slowly
checks mirrors
looks out windows
uses other aids
steers correctly
does not hit dock(my note:you'll probably back into a space, not onto a dock)

Like someone else said, they are looking for competency and lack of bad attitude. A lot of stuff that has been drilled into your head in other places will be contradicted on your test and during training . If you can drive, you will pass the road test with some minor corrections of your technique

Then they will work with you and on you for a week to beat out what they perceive are your bad habits

What will be interesting is that maybe one day, your on road trainer might want to finish early and will rush you and tell you to pick it up and weave through traffic while at the same time talking to you about safety and 10 point commentaries while having you violate them at the same time

May seem like a long post, but as others pointed out I have a lot of free time

all they do here is make u hook a set of doubles and go around the block, then hook a van and back into a tight spot

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Not sure what your road test would be but they will have you go down the road with a supervisor - that much I think you could expect. As for the FT position in 3 to 4 years, I wouldn't believe it. Its possible but not probable. More probable that you were told what you wanted to hear.

tarbar66

About 10 years ago I had a friend that wanted to work for UPS during Peak in Feeders and here is what she told me about the road test she was given.

The feeder unit was already hooked up and pretripped by the supervisor. She was given a brief overview about the equipment and allowed to take 5 minutes in the yard to get a little comfortable in the unit.

She then started the 10 mile, 30 minute or so road trip. It included 6 mile of interstate & the rest was city driving with a drivers side dock back. They were only putting on 2 drivers and she was not one of the 8 that took a road test that day according to HR.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
It wouldn't hurt to know your way under the hood- steering gear, tie rod links, oil dip stick(and how to check). Power steering fluid(got me on test, but I know how to now) Coolant level check, fuel level check, tires, lug nuts, LIGHTS including high beam, HORN(very important) wind shield wipers, and stake the exhaust stack surpport( got me on the test also)

City Driver

It wouldn't hurt to know your way under the hood- steering gear, tie rod links, oil dip stick(and how to check). Power steering fluid(got me on test, but I know how to now) Coolant level check, fuel level check, tires, lug nuts, LIGHTS including high beam, HORN(very important) wind shield wipers, and stake the exhaust stack surpport( got me on the test also)

most of our "old internationals" dont have the sight glass coolant resovoirs.....they are a pain in the ass, even with a flashlight its hard to check the level, i bring a throat swab type thing to dip in it to check the level

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
The old Internationals I drove had that stupid little sight glass on the side of the overflow tank. It would stay clean for about a week before the crud made it too hard to see thru. Then I would just drive the thing till it threw a light, and I would go out and fill the tank back up.

City Driver

The old Internationals I drove had that stupid little sight glass on the side of the overflow tank. It would stay clean for about a week before the crud made it too hard to see thru. Then I would just drive the thing till it threw a light, and I would go out and fill the tank back up.

same problem, the "see through" tanks arent even see though most of the time, you gotta really clean them and hold a flashlight to them to find the fluid line

Cementups

Box Monkey
Are UPS tractors well maintained i'am sure as a casual driver you dont get the cream of the crop when you do drive? thanks agian

Harrisburg has a pretty good mechanic crew. Most of them have been around for some time and know all the ins and outs of the tractors old and new. And most of the time if you ask or inform that something needs to be fixed, it is taken care of in a timely manner.

I don't know crap about our feeder test but I know some of the people that have gone into feeders and they can barely drive a regualr 4-door sedan, so you should be fine.