Road Test for Seasonal Driver Candidate

ibleedbrown

I have a road test scheduled friday and was wondering what to expect? I have been practicing every chance i get, i'm goin for one more crash course tonight in my friends car. any tips or words of advice?

John19841

I have a road test scheduled friday and was wondering what to expect? I have been practicing every chance i get, i'm goin for one more crash course tonight in my friends car. any tips or words of advice?

I take it you mean your practicing driving a standard, because you don't quite know how, correct?

If that's the case, you may want to find someone with a truck to practice with. It can be quite nerve racking to just jump in something that big, while someone is grading you....Especially if you've never driven anything bigger than your honda civic. Shifting should be the least of your concerns. Just remember, It's NOT your truck. Burn the hell out of the clutch if you need to, just don't stall it.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
In no particular order:
  • Take whatever time you need to adjust the mirrors, until you are comfortable with what you can see out of them. I prefer to have the lower (convex bubble) mirrors set so you can just see the rear wheel arches (or the actual rear tires if possible); so a quick glance will tell you when you are clear of, and won't run over the curb on a turn.
  • The rear view camera/monitor system has a microphone/speaker system that turns on in reverse gear. Turn the key on (don't start the engine), put the transmission in reverse (with the parking brake still on and your right foot on the brake pedal) and listen for the speaker; I recommend you turn it all the way up (push buttons on the monitor). You may have to 'bump' the key to turn the engine over slightly if you can't get the transmission into reverse.
  • If it's a diesel engine, when you go to start it: turn the key to the on position, look for a curly/squiggly symbol on a yellow warning light (or it might say 'wait' or 'wait to start') on the instrument panel. When the light goes out, then depress clutch pedal & crank the engine to start it.
  • Always start out in first gear, even if it is that really annoyingly low first gear on the 5 speed Spicer(tm) transmission. If it is the 5 speed, you will literally just get the [-]truck[/-]package car moving 5-10 feet or about 5mph then upshift. The actual gears in the transmission are bigger/heavier than whatever you're practicing in, it will take longer to make the shifts.
  • You'll probably spend a few minutes driving in the yard first. You can get the feel of where the clutch grabs, how the engine responds when you press the accelerator, upshifting to 2nd, and the brakes. I think the evaluator is looking to see if you're getting the hang of it.
  • When going out on the street, stop at the white stop lines first, then move up slightly as needed to see traffic, pedestrians, etc.
  • Most likely, the turn signals will not automatically self-cancel (turn off). Stick your left pinky finger out as a reminder to turn it off after a turn or lane change.
  • Always keep both hands on the wheel except for when shifting, tapping the horn or signalling; even waiting at a light.
  • When coming to a stop: leave the transmission in gear while braking, until you hear/feel the engine start to stall. Then depress the clutch pedal.
  • When making turns, go slow. Leave yourself a little room away from the curb, start turning gradually, know where your rear wheels are (you did adjust your mirrors to where you want them, I hope) and don't run over the curb with your rear wheels. Hopefully the [-]truck[/-] package car has power steering, but even if it does, the steering wheel will be a larger diameter and take more turns around to make a corner than you're used to. Pretend there are 100 packages precariously balanced on the top shelves in back, about to fall to the floor.
  • Check your mirrors a lot! Quick glances at the bubble (lower) mirrors to keep track of the cars around you, and to make sure you are staying in your lane.
  • When waiting at a red light, put the parking brake on. I think they want the trans in neutral, foot off clutch pedal. Keep your hands on the wheel, and move your eyes around: straight ahead, left mirror, traffic/pedestrians to the left, rear view monitor, right mirror, right traffic/pedestrians, repeat. When you see the light is about to change, then step on clutch pedal and shift to 1st. If there is a car in front of you, count 1-2-3 after it starts moving, before you release the parking brake and start to move. Don't worry about catching up to traffic; in fact the more room you leave in front of you, the better.
The phrase I usually hear from people who fail is "can't handle a vehicle that size (big)". I interpret that to mean:
  1. Don't run over curbs or into opposing traffic lanes on turns.
  2. Keep it in your lane when going straight.

Last edited:

ibleedbrown

That's some great advice Hondo! I have moved a few trucks in the yard and backed up a few on the dock but most of them have been automatic. I was able to back up a stick shift truck into a very tight spot, that helped boost my confidence. I agree those big trucks can be intimidating but after a few tries in the automatics it was pretty easy, its the manual trucks that are still scary for me, I hope to be over that feeling after the road test.

Floyd Gondolli

Go rent if you can a manual transmission u-haul truck if not just get a auto transmission. Tool around town, practice changing lanes, turn left, turn right, etc. Go to a shopping center and practice driver side backing to docks and bay doors. They are usually closed so you can practice in private. After about an hour you'll say to yourself, "i'm ready" and return the truck. It's your dime, but it will be the 2nd best investment you make. The first, blown up, lamenated thomas guide maps. You want to be taken seriously....That's what you do!!

Listen to High on Fire!!!!

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Does UPS still have manual transmission trucks on the road? Guess I've just been blessed with driving an automatic for the past several years!

fulfy38

lmao , bottomups , my 87 has 440 thousand and counting , we just can't afford power steering and disk brakes in rhode island , good times.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
lmao , bottomups , my 87 has 440 thousand and counting , we just can't afford power steering and disk brakes in rhode island , good times.

So Rhode Island is where they send our junk! I thought they were just sending them to the scrapyard! Just got a brand new package car a few weeks ago. Turned over 4800 miles today. Satellited about 50 miles from the center so they give us the newer ones to prevent roadcalls.

ibleedbrown

i thought of renting a manual uhaul, i called all around and nowhere has manual trucks for rent..if i fail the road test i'm gonna buy myself a beater stick shift car..i wont be disappointed if i fail i will just keep trying til i pass.

P

pickup

i thought of renting a manual uhaul, i called all around and nowhere has manual trucks for rent..if i fail the road test i'm gonna buy myself a beater stick shift car..i wont be disappointed if i fail i will just keep trying til i pass.

I don't think this is like a road test for a driver's license, a test that you can repeat ad infinitum until you pass. If you fail the road test for UPS, UPS isn't going to be testing you again anytime soon, if at all.

menotyou

bella amicizia
It is a year where I work. that doesn't meant the rules aren't broken when it's convenient. UPS does what ever they want.

ibleedbrown

i guess its 30 days in my area, either way i didnt to go on the actual road test, it was more of an assesment and very helpful practice session. they are gonna call me tonight to schedule the actual road test for hopefully tomorrow. the instructor said my driving is fine its the backing that i have to practice on. so tonight i'm gonna use my suv to practice blind side and driver side backs. i did it fine during the session, well i made it through the cones smoothly it was my aligning of the truck to the dock door that i was not getting perfectly. now that i know what i have to work on i will practice it all night if i have to. my problem is once i backed safely between the cones i was playing w the wheel to much left and right, i just need to practice keeping my nerves steady and i should be fine.

ibleedbrown

Got some practice after work in a package car, feeling more confident now. About to ride w instructor in a few minutes, wish me luck!

ibleedbrown

well i didnt pass the test :( i was sooooo close! i'm not discouraged at all, i would rather go to the school w confidence in the truck. at least now i know what i have to work on so i can try again in 30 days and pass it w flying colors. i had it down on a hill w no traffic, i need to master rollbacks on hills in traffic. stalled out 5 times. take away those stalls and i would have passed no problem. i even mastered backing in between the cones, made major improvements there. well 30 days from now i'll get er done and be ready for a saturday job and next seasonal. in the mean time im gonna check if i could b a driver helper...

OutBlind

Geez that sux

That road test seems alot harder then what I had to go through last year. I think I did stall out once but I didnt have to do any hill starts.