Road Test - Harrisburg PA Hub

MrWinston

I have done a search and found mixed results with a lot of random posts that don't answer the question asked. I'm looking for some legit answers.

Met with an HR rep who briefly went over the expectations of a new cover driver position. She explained that I'd have to pass a road test & computer coursework before being sent to driver school for a week. After school I will have to be on preload for 30 days before I can start as a cover driver.

I currently drive and have my DOT card, no issues on my driver history. She explained that I would need to be clean shaven and cut my hair. I explained that I understand that I will not be driving right away and will comply with the appearance guidelines if hired.

She however did not provide me with much information on what the road test will involve beyond "making sure I can drive the package car".

1. What can I expect at this intial road test? I can drive manual and currently drive a large box truck so I'm not worried about length.

2. Other than the obvious of crashing, not wearing a seatbelt, or similar blatant safety issues is there anything that I should really watch for on the road test?

3. I plan on going clean shaven for the road test but don't want to cut my hair unless I'm getting the job. I've read mixed things about men with long hair (goes to my shoulder blades) so can I hide it under a hat for the test? If I get the job can I hide it under a hat every day I work?

4. Will wearing my black work boots, jeans, solid color polo, sweater, and hat be alright for the road test?

5. If I make it through driving school and start on preload I understand it is not guaranteed work, that I will most likely need a PT job. I've been told by one person this is a good time of year to get in b/c I will get my 30 days in and then be put on as a cover driver for those with seniority taking vacation during the summer. This then sets me up to be ready for more driving hours come peak season. I understand there is no guarantee but is this an accurate trend?

Thank you.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I have done a search and found mixed results with a lot of random posts that don't answer the question asked. I'm looking for some legit answers.

Met with an HR rep who briefly went over the expectations of a new cover driver position. She explained that I'd have to pass a road test & computer coursework before being sent to driver school for a week. After school I will have to be on preload for 30 days before I can start as a cover driver.

I currently drive and have my DOT card, no issues on my driver history. She explained that I would need to be clean shaven and cut my hair. I explained that I understand that I will not be driving right away and will comply with the appearance guidelines if hired.

She however did not provide me with much information on what the road test will involve beyond "making sure I can drive the package car".

1. What can I expect at this intial road test? I can drive manual and currently drive a large box truck so I'm not worried about length.

2. Other than the obvious of crashing, not wearing a seatbelt, or similar blatant safety issues is there anything that I should really watch for on the road test?

3. I plan on going clean shaven for the road test but don't want to cut my hair unless I'm getting the job. I've read mixed things about men with long hair (goes to my shoulder blades) so can I hide it under a hat for the test? If I get the job can I hide it under a hat every day I work?

4. Will wearing my black work boots, jeans, solid color polo, sweater, and hat be alright for the road test?

5. If I make it through driving school and start on preload I understand it is not guaranteed work, that I will most likely need a PT job. I've been told by one person this is a good time of year to get in b/c I will get my 30 days in and then be put on as a cover driver for those with seniority taking vacation during the summer. This then sets me up to be ready for more driving hours come peak season. I understand there is no guarantee but is this an accurate trend?

Thank you.

If you can’t do this don’t even bother

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
You can hide it under your hat for the road test. I would cut it if they send you to integrad. Or wear a turbine

542thruNthru

Thank you.

The road test is pretty easy. They differ slightly between who's giving you the test. Main thing you'll be doing is just driving around for 15-20 min. They just want to see you can handle a large vehicle. You'll be asked to back once or twice through out the day so they see you can do it safely. You will also be asked to park the truck. Don't hit the curb. Other then that it's pretty easy.

The road test is not an interview so you don't need to go all dressed up. Dress comfortable but I wouldn't worry about the hair just wear a hat. When you start your 30 days of driving then you need to look the part.

I've never heard of them making someone work preload for 30 days when they plan on making them a cover driver. I hope the HR person is not blowing smoke up your A just to get a new preloaded.

Good luck.

MrWinston

The road test is pretty easy. They differ slightly between who's giving you the test. Main thing you'll be doing is just driving around for 15-20 min. They just want to see you can handle a large vehicle. You'll be asked to back once or twice through out the day so they see you can do it safely. You will also be asked to park the truck. Don't hit the curb. Other then that it's pretty easy.

The road test is not an interview so you don't need to go all dressed up. Dress comfortable but I wouldn't worry about the hair just wear a hat. When you start your 30 days of driving then you need to look the part.

I've never heard of them making someone work preload for 30 days when they plan on making them a cover driver. I hope the HR person is not blowing smoke up your A just to get a new preloaded.

Good luck.
Thanks for a serious reply. I drive a truck larger than the package cars right now. On a few posts on this site people were saying to use the ebrake at red lights which I don't currently do and seems odd.

Maybe the HR lady was trying to cover her butt and scare away people who are not committed. This is the listing online, which is confusing saying FT, but then they tell you preload & cover driver with no guarantee of hours.

"UPS is accepting applications for temporary, seasonal full-time Package Delivery Drivers. This is a physical, fast-paced, outdoor position that involves continual lifting, lowering and carrying packages that typically weigh 25 - 35 lbs. and may weigh up to 70 lbs. A DOT physical exam is required. Package Delivery Drivers must have excellent customer contact and driving skills. Some UPS facilities may require the ability to drive a delivery vehicle with a standard (manual) transmission. Qualified applicants must have a valid driver’s license issued in the state that they live. Package Delivery Drivers are expected to comply with UPS appearance guidelines and wear the company-provided uniform.

Full-time UPS employees work eight or more hours each weekday (Monday through Friday) and typically do not work on weekends or selected holidays."

542thruNthru

Thanks for a serious reply. I drive a truck larger than the package cars right now. On a few posts on this site people were saying to use the ebrake at red lights which I don't currently do and seems odd.

Maybe the HR lady was trying to cover her butt and scare away people who are not committed. This is the listing online, which is confusing saying FT, but then they tell you preload & cover driver with no guarantee of hours.

"UPS is accepting applications for temporary, seasonal full-time Package Delivery Drivers. This is a physical, fast-paced, outdoor position that involves continual lifting, lowering and carrying packages that typically weigh 25 - 35 lbs. and may weigh up to 70 lbs. A DOT physical exam is required. Package Delivery Drivers must have excellent customer contact and driving skills. Some UPS facilities may require the ability to drive a delivery vehicle with a standard (manual) transmission. Qualified applicants must have a valid driver’s license issued in the state that they live. Package Delivery Drivers are expected to comply with UPS appearance guidelines and wear the company-provided uniform.

Full-time UPS employees work eight or more hours each weekday (Monday through Friday) and typically do not work on weekends or selected holidays."

Oh you're going to be seasonal. More then likely for the summer months only. Don't get your hopes up my friend. What I believe is going to happen is you'll be hired as a seasonal cover driver then kept on as a PT preloaded.

When you do start preloading ask around how long it takes to become a driver. Then you'll have a idea how long you'll be PT. Don't ask supervisors ask fellow loaders.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
484E3820-DE44-413C-8FAC-AD66805D4FF6.jpeg

They prolly won’t notice if you tuck your hair into one of these.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
This is a physical, fast-paced, outdoor position that involves continual lifting, lowering and carrying packages that typically weigh 25 - 35 lbs. and may weigh up to 70 lbs.
This should say “ lowering and carrying packages that typically weigh 70lbs, and may weigh up to 150lbs”.

MrWinston

Oh you're going to be seasonal. More then likely for the summer months only. Don't get your hopes up my friend. What I believe is going to happen is you'll be hired as a seasonal cover driver then kept on as a PT preloaded.

When you do start preloading ask around how long it takes to become a driver. Then you'll have a idea how long you'll be PT. Don't ask supervisors ask fellow loaders.
HR lady said that if you can make a combo of preloading and cover driving work for 6 months you'll be ok.

Heard from somebody there that they need drivers so they want to get people started now so they're not behind on staffing come peak season. Also said that it usually takes about 2 years to get a FT bid but they'd keep me on as a cover driver as long as I'm doing the job.

Figured I'd ask on here just to see what the overall trend is for UPS. Seems a little odd they'd pay for me to go to driving school and not have me drive. I was told I'd get travel, boarding, and food paid for along with $16.10/hr at driving school. That's a lot of investment for a preloader.

Last edited:

Cementups

Box Monkey
I'm located at HARPA and can tell you, if you don't screw up then you pretty much have the job. They are hurting badly for package car drivers. Not sure about the 2 years for FT but it has been known to happen.

If they send you to Integrad (the driving school) then you will be put up in a hotel. Last I knew, HARPA was training drivers in house.

Good luck.

And as far as cutting your hair and your current coworkers being concerned about the change.......hey, sometimes you just need a change. that's all they need to know.

542thruNthru

HR lady said that if you can make a combo of preloading and cover driving work for 6 months you'll be ok.

Heard from somebody there that they need drivers so they want to get people started now so they're not behind on staffing come peak season. Also said that it usually takes about 2 years to get a FT bid but they'd keep me on as a cover driver as long as I'm doing the job.

Figured I'd ask on here just to see what the overall trend is for UPS. Seems a little odd they'd pay for me to go to driving school and not have me drive. I was told I'd get travel, boarding, and food paid for along with $16.10/hr at driving school. That's a lot of investment for a preloader.

Driving school sounds like integrad. If it is then you do need to cut your hair and look the part.

Every place is different and it seems @Cementups knows the building so it may be on the up and up.

I will say though do not always trust what HR says. Many threads have been started on here about what they were promised by HR just to find out they were lied to.

Good luck.

MrWinston

I'm located at HARPA and can tell you, if you don't screw up then you pretty much have the job. They are hurting badly for package car drivers. Not sure about the 2 years for FT but it has been known to happen.

If they send you to Integrad (the driving school) then you will be put up in a hotel. Last I knew, HARPA was training drivers in house.

Good luck.

And as far as cutting your hair and your current coworkers being concerned about the change.......hey, sometimes you just need a change. that's all they need to know.
Thank you, I was hoping somebody from Hburg would be on here. Based on what you've seen/heard there does the 30 days preload sound legit? If they're hurting that bad for drivers is it possible I'd be driving a good bit as a cover driver? Even if it takes longer than 2 years I'm fine if I'm getting some decent hours driving technically PT.

HR lady said that if I pass the road test & computer training they'd send me to Integrad in April with pay and covered basic expenses. If they decide to train in house I'm fine with that, saves me from putting my dog in a kennel.

I was thinking about that if I cut my hair. It will suck but I'm focused on the future potential career/money so I'll do what I have to. Is your recommendation to cut my hair before the road test or hide it under a beanie?