Road Test in an automatic

Brown1234

So I am a new hire, and I took my road test the other day in an automatic. Before the test my manager had me sign a paper that says that by taking the test in an automatic I am only certified to drive automatics when I work (I'm a cover driver). Most of what I read before the test was that they usually give you the worst truck they have in a manual. I was surprised when he had me sign it before the test and take the test in an automatic. Is this a new thing?

Box Ox

Sounds super dumb. Stuff happens: trucks get red tagged or have to be swapped around. Maybe the only truck the PDS can find is an old loud as hell diesel manual that'll have everybody looking out their windows as you're still driving up and down their neighborhood streets at 2100.

So yeah, testing you in an old manual that can barely shift would be the best way to go. Because sometimes as a low seniority cover you've gotta take whatever route/truck falls in your lap.

But, we are also coming into negotiations for the 8-2018 Contract. Company might want to point to automatic-only drivers as leverage. Or they might simply be having such a hard time recruiting younger folks at some locations that they're dropping the requirement.

Maybe your location only has automatics.

brownIEman

There are some sites that no longer have manuals. I know of at least one Integrad location that swapped out all its manuals and only uses automatics now for the integration station training because some of the centers that feed into it have only automatics.

I personally never gave a road test in anything other than the crappiest manual we had on hand. It was my responsibility to make sure if I passed someone it was because they could handle the hardest vehicle they are likely to face without killing someone. Anyway, I never dealt with the automatic only issue. My guess is the paper you signed will go in your file. The only possible use for it I can think of would be to A) deny you your guarantee if the only route they have for you is in a manual, saying it is work you are not qualified for. Or to B) CYA for themselves in case you wind up in a route in a manual to say "he signed this, he should have known better."

Either way it should be a non issue unless you are asked to take a route out in a manual before you wind up getting certified in one. So under no circumstances drive a manual until you can get certified. If a management person asks you to, refuse, politely, and reference the automatic only certification in your file. Just my 2c from a management perspective.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
So I am a new hire, and I took my road test the other day in an automatic. Before the test my manager had me sign a paper that says that by taking the test in an automatic I am only certified to drive automatics when I work (I'm a cover driver). Most of what I read before the test was that they usually give you the worst truck they have in a manual. I was surprised when he had me sign it before the test and take the test in an automatic. Is this a new thing?
Can you drive a manual trans?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
i remember when they introduced that exemption all the managers swore up and down they'd never sign it for a driver

they bent that knee pretty fast after peak

raceanoncr

Used to be we had to be certified for EVERY size, shape, configuration of vehicles UPS had and we drove. I.E.: I got trained on a P600 (whatever they call em today), and received a little slip of paper that stated that that I was required to keep on me at all times. Meaning, I couldn't drive anything else unless certified on that.

Yeah, ask me how long THAT lasted.

jaker

trolling
Even in feeder at our hub they are switching to all autos

The part that kills me is I can drive a tractor for ups but I can't drive a golf cart because I am not certified

The Milkman

Used to be we had to be certified for EVERY size, shape, configuration of vehicles UPS had and we drove. I.E.: I got trained on a P600 (whatever they call em today), and received a little slip of paper that stated that that I was required to keep on me at all times. Meaning, I couldn't drive anything else unless certified on that.

Yeah, ask me how long THAT lasted.

Good old Days in Jersey, guessing late 80's in my 6
CCI08112017-1.jpg

MC0493

We've only got i think 2 manual pc's left but new hires are still road tested in one of them i believe. When peak rolls around we get more from other centers, it's amazing the things that appear.

The Milkman

We've only got i think 2 manual pc's left but new hires are still road tested in one of them i believe. When peak rolls around we get more from other centers, it's amazing the things that appear.

Automatics enable anyone to work at UPS, making it easier for women, no more torn rotor cuff injuries after years of no power steering in those old tanks we had to deal with

The Milkman

Been there done that

Sucked every time

Used to put my glove on those pos
Vents that blew up onto the windshield

Good thing was if you had a good parking brake

You could leave that badboy running all day

heater box on the firewall was a Joke, most of the ribbed hoses to the windshield so called defrosters were always cracked and or missing

GenericUsername

In our center, if the oldest car isn't available for the driving tests and only automatics are available, they'll make the new hires drive a 24 footer to give them the hardest possible test.