Robin Williams RIP

bbsam

Staff member
How has his decision to take his own life affected you on a personal level?
It doesn't really. I'll still sleep soundly next to my wife tonight with our sons in the next room and my daughter across the hall. I'll wake up about 2 am, maybe go have coffee with a couple drunks and chat/debate the state of the world. About 4 am I'll come home, watch a little TV, snooze.... I'll get up, pick up a co-worker, head into the station. Couple hours there and off to tending the soccer fields (fall season starts Saturday!!). Sweaty, paint stained, sore and tired I'll survey the fields and inevitably see only the slightly off nagging flaws in the days work just in time for the fields to fill with kids of all ages living their fantasies of soccer superstardom.

It's a simple life. The difference I make is small and to many may at times go completely unnoticed. To my son at his doctor's appointment today, it meant everything. To all three kids as we took turns reading before bed, nothing could have replaced me.

I feel like I have a good idea how Williams felt. I've been suicidal at times, not for a moment here or there, but for months at a time both drinking and stone cold sober. His decision, especially with his unique ability to affect others comes across to me as incredibly selfish and self centered.

I've got it all and I'm grateful for it. Williams had it all and more and pissed it away. It really comes down to a simple axiom. Nobody cares what you have; what are you going to do with it?

Last edited:

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
It doesn't really. I'll still sleep soundly next to my wife tonight with our sons in the next room and my daughter across the hall. I'll wake up about 2 am, maybe go have coffee with a couple drunks and chat/debate the state of the world. About 4 am I'll come home, watch a little TV, snooze.... I'll get up, pick up a co-worker, head into the station. Couple hours there and off to tending the soccer fields (fall season starts Saturday!!). Sweaty, paint stained, sore and tired I'll survey the fields and inevitably see only the slightly off nagging flaws in the days work just in time for the fields to fill with kids of all ages living their fantasies of soccer superstardom.

It's a simple life. The difference I make is small and to many may at times go completely unnoticed. To my son at his doctor's appointment today, it meant everything. To all three kids as we took turns reading before bed, nothing could have replaced me.

I feel like I have a good idea how Williams felt. I've been suicidal at times, not for a moment here or there, but for months at a time both drinking and stone cold sober. His decision, especially with his unique ability to affect others comes across to me as incredibly selfish and self centered.

I've got it all and I'm grateful for it. Williams had it all and more and pissed it away. It really comes down to a simple axiom. Nobody cares what you have; what are you going to do with it?

If you were truly suicidal as you claim then you would understand that the idea of being selfish and how your death will affect others does not come into play as the part of the brain controlling such thoughts is not functioning properly.

And suicide affects all social economic areas so the size of his bank account is moot.

bbsam

Staff member
If you were truly suicidal as you claim then you would understand that the idea of being selfish and how your death will affect others does not come into play as the part of the brain controlling such thoughts is not functioning properly.

And suicide affects all social economic areas so the size of his bank account is moot.
the reason I could see it.is a well known quote. "Selfishness,.self centeredness, that we think is the root of our problem."

Catatonic

Nine Lives
the reason I could see it.is a well known quote. "Selfishness,.self centeredness, that we think is the root of our problem."
Disassociation from people that cause you grief and people that try to get you to do things for them goes a long way to relieving stress from one's life. The inability to deal with stress causes many suicides.

bbsam

Staff member
Disassociation from people that cause you grief and people that try to get you to do things for them goes a long way to relieving stress from one's life. The inability to deal with stress causes many suicides.
Hmmmm. That seems to go completely against everything I have come to believe. ;). There will always be stress and often we put unreasonable expectations on others. Reasonable or unreasonable, others will often fall short of our expectations and resentment is born and festers. It rots the psyche and bitterness becomes the norm. Things become complicated quickly. The talents and opportunities we have to do good in the world become burdens and further maddening. What in humility we are able to see as a "get to" turns sickeningly into a "got to".

If that sounds insane, then it becomes easier to see why addiction and bipolar disorder is so difficult to treat. They really are all encompassing mental conditions that, left untreated will result in tragedies like Robin Williams', Chris Farley, John Belushi and literally thousands of others from every socio, economic, and religious background. As VonDutch pointed out, the bank account doesn't matter, the fame was no shield.

Nobody cares what you have; what are you going to do with it? That Brandon Marshall is bipolar won't curry any special favor with the NFL. That he has worked hard to become a role model for other players and become a spokesperson for those with bipolar disorder has proven transformative on the field and in life. While Marshall is a "spotlight" case, it isn't an uncommon phenomena. Retreating into self-will, becoming the spoiled prima donna wide receiver is rarely the healthy course.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Disassociation works........friends, family, it doesn't matter........get rid of any negativity. Just like neighbor Judith doesn't exist for me.

Z

ZQXC

I'm sorry; What did you say?
I wasn't listening.......

Hmmmm. That seems to go completely against everything I have come to believe. ;). There will always be stress and often we put unreasonable expectations on others. Reasonable or unreasonable, others will often fall short of our expectations and resentment is born and festers. It rots the psyche and bitterness becomes the norm. Things become complicated quickly. The talents and opportunities we have to do good in the world become burdens and further maddening. What in humility we are able to see as a "get to" turns sickeningly into a "got to".

If that sounds insane, then it becomes easier to see why addiction and bipolar disorder is so difficult to treat. They really are all encompassing mental conditions that, left untreated will result in tragedies like Robin Williams', Chris Farley, John Belushi and literally thousands of others from every socio, economic, and religious background. As VonDutch pointed out, the bank account doesn't matter, the fame was no shield.

Nobody cares what you have; what are you going to do with it? That Brandon Marshall is bipolar won't curry any special favor with the NFL. That he has worked hard to become a role model for other players and become a spokesperson for those with bipolar disorder has proven transformative on the field and in life. While Marshall is a "spotlight" case, it isn't an uncommon phenomena. Retreating into self-will, becoming the spoiled prima donna wide receiver is rarely the healthy course.
I'm glad God has blessed you with the life you have. He did this for a reason.

oldngray

nowhere special
Robin-W-590-CI.jpg

There's Nothing Selfish About Suicide
They do think about the survivors, probably up until the very last moment in many cases. But the soul-crushing depression that envelops them leaves them feeling like there is no alternative. Like the only way to get out is to opt out. And that is a devastating thought to endure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/katie-hurley/theres-nothing-selfish-about-suicide_b_5672519.html
Amen. God makes people like this for a reason. We just don't know why.

bbsam

Staff member
There's Nothing Selfish About Suicide
They do think about the survivors, probably up until the very last moment in many cases. But the soul-crushing depression that envelops them leaves them feeling like there is no alternative. Like the only way to get out is to opt out. And that is a devastating thought to endure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/katie-hurley/theres-nothing-selfish-about-suicide_b_5672519.html
I sympathize with the author's position, but her loss doesn't change a very basic fact: the individual who commits suicide has put his very own feelings above every other relationship, responsibility, and possible future experience. There is no way that is not selfish. And so what if it is? It's a selfish act by an individual suffering from a very treatable mental illness similar in many ways to (and often present in) alcoholics and drug addicts. That's not something to be ashamed of, it's just how it is.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I sympathize with the author's position, but her loss doesn't change a very basic fact: the individual who commits suicide has put his very own feelings above every other relationship, responsibility, and possible future experience. There is no way that is not selfish. And so what if it is? It's a selfish act by an individual suffering from a very treatable mental illness similar in many ways to (and often present in) alcoholics and drug addicts. That's not something to be ashamed of, it's just how it is.
Projection is a defense mechanism that involves taking our own unacceptable qualities or feelings and ascribing them to other people.