roll away, never shown / told hand brake tightening

Status
Not open for further replies.

11.19igrad

I had a stop on a slight slope, as far as I know, I did my normal park and hand brake routine. I turn around after delivering, this #$%*%^$# truck is rolling back towards the right, into a yard crushing a mailbox. Its the worst nightmare dream-like experience I can't even explain. I just got reinstated after someone backed into my truck while I was out doing a delivery, now this.

What I can't fathom is how we are not drilled about checking the tightness of our hand brakes every day. It should be in our diad and there should be a daily routine check by mechanics that have signatures. I've never been told anything about tightening or loosening the handbrake. We are behind these trucks countless times doing deliveries, how are we not reminded to check this every day like we are told everything else, use horns, feet on pavement, etc.

I could have been killed, someone else could have been, this could have been absolutely devastating. I have some questions for a lawyer. How can the DOT not require management to regularly quiz us on handbrake checks? When we got back to the center, my sup tested the brake and it rolled in drive with the brake up. He showed me how to tighten it. Ive never been shown this. Ive never heard anyone talk about this ever. :sad::sad::sad:

I had a stop on a slight slope, as far as I know, I did my normal park and hand brake routine. I turn around after delivering, this #$%*%^$# truck is rolling back towards the right, into a yard crushing a mailbox. Its the worst nightmare dream-like experience I can't even explain. I just got reinstated after someone backed into my truck while I was out doing a delivery, now this.

What I can't fathom is how we are not drilled about checking the tightness of our hand brakes every day. It should be in our diad and there should be a daily routine check by mechanics that have signatures. I've never been told anything about tightening or loosening the handbrake. We are behind these trucks countless times doing deliveries, how are we not reminded to check this every day like we are told everything else, use horns, feet on pavement, etc.

I could have been killed, someone else could have been, this could have been absolutely devastating. I have some questions for a lawyer. How can the DOT not require management to regularly quiz us on handbrake checks? When we got back to the center, my sup tested the brake and it rolled in drive with the brake up. He showed me how to tighten it. Ive never been shown this. Ive never heard anyone talk about this ever. :sad::sad::sad:
Every time you pull emergency brake you're supposed to turn the handle and keep it tight.
But I doubt many younger drivers know this

oldngray

nowhere special
Checking the handbrake is part of a normal pretrip. You should automatically do it every day. If you weren't taught that then someone screwed up in your training.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?

You're supposed to check the tightness of the hand brake and make sure it is functioning correctly. That's part of your pre trip. This one is on you. Also tighten it each time you use it.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Any slope if I’m not sure about the truck I’m in I will literally rock it back and forth before I get out to see if it will stick, if it’s going to roll away in theory you should be able to tell and control that before you decide to exit the vehicle...I have had a couple instances where the :censored2: thing starts rolling a little and you go “oh sh** can’t park here in this truck”

JL 0513

You didn't mention the apparent mechanical failure that would have had to occur for a roll away. I assume it's an automatic and the thing broke out of park? Or did you not actually fully engage park? The handbrake in merely a backup for this failure as well as to protect the gearbox from wear.

oldngray

nowhere special
Any slope if I’m not sure about the truck I’m in I will literally rock it back and forth before I get out to see if it will stick, if it’s going to roll away in theory you should be able to tell and control that before you decide to exit the vehicle...I have had a couple instances where the :censored2: thing starts rolling a little and you go “oh sh** can’t park here in this truck”
They will say on a hill you should have turned your wheels towards the curb.

JL 0513

I guess it's time for me to get an upgrade or maybe it's just another thing to break down..

It's so much more convenient. Before my current cars, I wouldn't normally engage the e-brake unless on a slope. Now I almost always use it because it's a flick of a switch.

I think it's a componant that automakers have put special attention into reliabilty. Haven't seen reported issues over the many years they've been in place.

It's so much more convenient. Before my current cars, I wouldn't normally engage the e-brake unless on a slope. Now I almost always use it because it's a flick of a switch.

I think it's a componant that automakers have put special attention into reliabilty. Haven't seen reported issues over the many years they've been in place.
does the break disengage automatically when you put it in the drive or you have to flip the switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.