Rolling over old pension.

I have a pension from a previous employer and they are doing away with it so I have to decide what I want to do with it. My plan was just to roll it over to my UPS 401k and I actually already started the process. My question is if it could be possible to roll it over to my pension instead if that is even possible. The amount is 13k and I'm 35 yrs old. Thanks in advance

I have a pension from a previous employer and they are doing away with it so I have to decide what I want to do with it. My plan was just to roll it over to my UPS 401k and I actually already started the process. My question is if it could be possible to roll it over to my pension instead if that is even possible. The amount is 13k and I'm 35 yrs old. Thanks in advance
I doubt you can put it into the pension plan. Maybe look at a low fee IRA

Does the OP really want to put money in a pension that is going down the drain?

Wouldn't they just pay me out a lump sum like my old employer did if they do get rid of the pension in the future? I can just roll it over then? Can I lose my money if they did get rid of it. I guess theoretically I could lose it in the 401k plan too

Wouldn't they just pay me out a lump sum like my old employer did if they do get rid of the pension in the future? I can just roll it over then? Can I lose my money if they did get rid of it. I guess theoretically I could lose it in the 401k plan too
A lot of our plans are underfunded and they aren't allowed to pay out a lump sum.

Indecisi0n

Talk to a financial advisor. Might make more sense to go with a separate IRA has you would have more investment options. You can then still start a 401k in addition to the IRA.

I doubt you can put it into the pension plan. Maybe look at a low fee IRA

You are correct. I called the teamsters pension and I cannot roll it over. I guess that answers that. I think I would rather roll it over to my 401k since most of my retirement savings is already there

rod

Retired 22 years

BINGO---now you are catching on. Over the years many pension plans have folded and if the workers are lucky they may get peanuts on the dollar but getting NOTHING is more like it.

I GOT ONE MORE

Really only 3 options, best to least best.

1) Roll to an IRA. (Much more control and infinite investment options)

2) Roll to your 401k. (Investment options limited within 401k, but consolidates retirement accounts)

3) Take the money, less taxes and penalty. (Your tax rate plus a 10% penalty for early withdrawal if your under 59 1/2)

2) Roll to your 401k. (Investment options limited within 401k, but consolidates retirement accounts)

3) Take the money, less taxes and penalty. (Your tax rate plus a 10% penalty for early withdrawal if your under 59 1/2)
Number 3 is a terrible idea.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!

DO #1. Just do a little homework and choose a broker with very low fees. I personally don't think having all your monies in 1 single place/company is a great idea.

Here is the best idea you could possibly have............go find an actual professional financial adviser and sit and talk with him for an hour! It should cost you nothing but an hour of your time.

DO #1. Just do a little homework and choose a broker with very low fees. I personally don't think having all your monies in 1 single place/company is a great idea.

Here is the best idea you could possibly have............go find an actual professional financial adviser and sit and talk with him for an hour! It should cost you nothing but an hour of your time.
That's why I have a Roth IRA with Vanguard. Many more choices.