Rollup door problem, woe is me

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
So Tuesday as I close the rear door at a stop, twang! Is heard... uh oh

sketch-1522623266730.png

"parts on order, OK to drive"

Geezus, I didn't know that door was a heavy mother... I literally had to step up to the bumper & do a dead lift maneuver to safely open that door

Then, finish off with an overhead press

After a couple of repetitive motions, I started to do that overhead press with my left arm only...

kb-bottoms-up-press.gif

It took it's toll all.week.long.

My arm looked like this today:

tumblr_myykxan4mk1sjuk9jo3_1280.jpg

Butt, come on brah, in hindsight, I should have pressed the management that there are quick fixes for this problem since I'm not the only one who had this happen

IMG_20180330_224946.jpg

The cable is intact & I taped it to avoid tangling and tripping over it...

The spring can be temporarily repaired with a coupler...

images.jpeg

That band aid fix would have saved my shoulder until Monday, where I can have the FedEx mechanic replace this

tenor.gif

bbsam

Staff member
I worked out of a step van with a broken back door spring for a while years ago. Rural route so only had to open it a few times a day. Once it’s a third of the way up, wasn’t too bad.

On a better note, back door did not bang around at all.

Dvr Alan

This type of contractor response to drivers safety issues is rampant in the Ex Ground system. The drivers are afraid to say/do anything in fear of their jobs. They ARE driving vehicles that should be parked.

Ever hear of one where odometer and gas gauge don't work? But it's pretty with even the new orange decal!

It's sad when contractors can't even afford to have ONE spare vehicle for "One Day" repairs!

Don't worry OrioN...your arm will be fine, the company's stock price is going up, up, up! Hopefully your door will soon be doing the same...correctly!

OrioN

That's a box truck, with no bulkhead? That's insanity to work without a door spring, not even close to safe. Those doors are heavy.
I'm glad there are good contractors out thurr, u giving your employees decent footwear & such, u hiring???

I have a small bulkhead pass thru & heck yea I used it for about 40% of the time

Plus I didn't price out that band aid coupler, it seems easy enough to install and would have held up for longer than a week...

OrioN

I worked out of a step van with a broken back door spring for a while years ago. Rural route so only had to open it a few times a day. Once it’s a third of the way up, wasn’t too bad.

On a better note, back door did not bang around at all.

2 things u had over me...

Your step van has a full length and width bulkhead pass thru, while my boxtruck was made for a mouse

You can also open that rear rollup door from the inside, giving you more leverage vs the small balance beam of a bumper step of my boxtruck...

On the plus side, my gluteus maximus y gluteus minimus are getting firm, just in time to make @Indecisi0n whoo wif glee

OrioN

Except it's FXG and the contractor won't pay for a new one until Orion is injured and he has to replace him.

It's gonna cost the investor group more $$$$

~ 2 drivers and 2 delivery vehicles 9 hours each to cover my area when I call out

bacha29

It's gonna cost the investor group more $$$$

~ 2 drivers and 2 delivery vehicles 9 hours each to cover my area when I call out
Knowing that this could happen when I had the chance to design my own delivery truck I had the body manufacturer install 30"X 30" swing out doors on the front corner on each side. To at least finish the out the day. Then again you've been at this long enough by now to know that it's not going to get any better as long as people like you continue to shield them from their core responsibilities. As long as you continue to do that they will continue to just sit back and count the money.

zeev

So Tuesday as I close the rear door at a stop, twang! Is heard... uh oh

View attachment 187751

"parts on order, OK to drive"

Geezus, I didn't know that door was a heavy mother... I literally had to step up to the bumper & do a dead lift maneuver to safely open that door

Then, finish off with an overhead press

After a couple of repetitive motions, I started to do that overhead press with my left arm only...

kb-bottoms-up-press.gif

It took it's toll all.week.long.

My arm looked like this today:

tumblr_myykxan4mk1sjuk9jo3_1280.jpg

Butt, come on brah, in hindsight, I should have pressed the management that there are quick fixes for this problem since I'm not the only one who had this happen

View attachment 187759
The cable is intact & I taped it to avoid tangling and tripping over it...

The spring can be temporarily repaired with a coupler...

View attachment 187760

That band aid fix would have saved my shoulder until Monday, where I can have the FedEx mechanic replace this

tenor.gif

zeev

You need to get a cdl A it’s not going to get any better at ground Fedex will continue to squeeze the independent contractors.

OrioN

Nah, no thanks... I don't want to drive something that heavy with dumb clueless drivers on the road cutting you off, even with using the 5 keys of space cushion driving

Maybe a class B. Butt, they don't usually get paid any better than a decently compensated HD or Ground driver

I can drive long distances without getting fatigued though, mebbe I'll look into custom critical, which is non existent in these threads

I know of a few HD drivers that has their CDL A & I'm thinking wtf are they doing in this outfit???

They can be overnight feeder drivers, unless these contractors want a year or more experience in otr driving first

bacha29

Nah, no thanks... I don't want to drive something that heavy with dumb clueless drivers on the road cutting you off, even with using the 5 keys of space cushion driving

Maybe a class B. Butt, they don't usually get paid any better than a decently compensated HD or Ground driver

I can drive long distances without getting fatigued though, mebbe I'll look into custom critical, which is non existent in these threads

I know of a few HD drivers that has their CDL A & I'm thinking wtf are they doing in this outfit???

They can be overnight feeder drivers, unless these contractors want a year or more experience in otr driving first
Friend your body is only going to take the beating for a limited amount of time. If your brain doesn't tell you that it's time to get out your joints most certainly will eventually and what good are you if you are so crippled up that you can't get around well enough to take care of the rentals you worked so hard to acquire.

OrioN

That's the other plus of a rural route... mostly windshield time & less running in/out of the rear door (unless it's an oversized box or irreg)

The only suburbia area I have is a gated 55+ community, which I speed up my sporh to ~ 20 when they're all inside sleeping or watching their TV show s

vantexan

Friend your body is only going to take the beating for a limited amount of time. If your brain doesn't tell you that it's time to get out your joints most certainly will eventually and what good are you if you are so crippled up that you can't get around well enough to take care of the rentals you worked so hard to acquire.
What Orion has going for him is first and foremost a very positive attitude. And there's a huge difference between using the job as a supplement vs it being your only source of income. The latter brings you to a realisation that you are screwed financially. Weighs on you and magnifies every problem. Those years where we midrange employees got 2% or nothing I kept telling myself it'll be worth it for the pension but it felt like for years was just keeping my head above water with no improvement in quality of life. While dealing with mgrs who would tell us in meetings we should feel lucky to just have a job and we need to do more, more, more. That cripples you more than the work itself over time.

MAKAVELI

What Orion has going for him is first and foremost a very positive attitude. And there's a huge difference between using the job as a supplement vs it being your only source of income. The latter brings you to a realisation that you are screwed financially. Weighs on you and magnifies every problem. Those years where we midrange employees got 2% or nothing I kept telling myself it'll be worth it for the pension but it felt like for years was just keeping my head above water with no improvement in quality of life. While dealing with mgrs who would tell us in meetings we should feel lucky to just have a job and we need to do more, more, more. That cripples you more than the work itself over time.
I find it hard to believe that as many hours he puts in that Ground is not his primary source of income.