Route Axed

BoogaBooga

:dissapointed:Looks like the route I bid, may temporarily be axed because management is cutting routes in an extreme manner. I really do not want to be thrown on a route that I have not run for years, has changed, and is really going to be heavy with stops and pickups. Any advice, other than to suck it up?

Re-Raise

:dissapointed:Looks like the route I bid, may temporarily be axed because management is cutting routes in an extreme manner. I really do not want to be thrown on a route that I have not run for years, has changed, and is really going to be heavy with stops and pickups. Any advice, other than to suck it up?

You should be able to follow your work, bumping the driver off the route that is absorbing your stops if you are higher in seniority than he/she is.

guinness413

thats a free pass to print money son..take it for a bit(prolly just mondays and fridays,thats what happens here)..they did it to me a few weeks and they would throw me blind on routes in towns id never been..awesome stuff...finally they would ask me if i wanted to work inside..i always said no way Jose,im a driver....

whiskey

thats a free pass to print money son..take it for a bit(prolly just mondays and fridays,thats what happens here)..they did it to me a few weeks and they would throw me blind on routes in towns id never been..awesome stuff...finally they would ask me if i wanted to work inside..i always said no way Jose,im a driver....

+1 easy money. one box at a time.

Cementups

Box Monkey
One of our full timers has a route that they cut every Monday. So now every Monday he has to run a different run that is 15 miles away from his usual work. He's happy to have a job.

govols019

You smell that?
We have three bid routes that are cut every Monday. If they don't have a route open on those days that the affected drivers want to run they just stay home.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We have three bid routes that are cut every Monday. If they don't have a route open on those days that the affected drivers want to run they just stay home.
This was true for awhile here as well but there came a time when the drivers had to work just to earn a paycheck, because their rtes are constantly being cut.

You should be able to follow your work, bumping the driver off the route that is absorbing your stops if you are higher in seniority than he/she is.
This is also true but it is hard to follow 50% of the rte when it is split into several different rtes.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

We have bid routes cut every Monday too. The one next to mine has a 24 year driver on it and it gets cut out and really screws mine up because of the businesses on it. I took today off because I knew it was going to be at least a ten hour day, also a cover driver that needed to work got his chance.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
7 routes were cut in my building today.There were about 30 of us coming in at 7:30( we start at 8:30) and people were still out

Re-Raise

This is also true but it is hard to follow 50% of the rte when it is split into several different rtes.

I am in 710 and our contract says

If an employee's package route is temporarily eliminated he/she will have the ability to follow any portion of their route as seniority allows. The displaced driver will displace any junior coverage driver. The displaced coverage driver will work as directed.

I have heard the 50% thing mentioned on here before, but at least in our contract, it isn't mentioned.

Cementups

Box Monkey

When thye "just stay home" that is their choice. If they are forced to stay home then they have to be paid. If they wanted to force the issue then they coud have asked for other work to do instead of just staying home and possibly burning a sick or personal day.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
.... but it is hard to follow 50% of the rte when it is split into several different rtes. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

If your route is cut out an average of 3 days per week for 30 days, it is considered "permanent" and at that point you have the right to force a rebid among all of the routes that were getting your work. I am currently in that same boat and I filed my grievance last week; so in a few more days I will be joining 8 of my fellow drivers for a game of seniority-based "musical routes" and I am not going to be the last one standing.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Interesting! I would be interested in the outcome of that Sober. That could have some ripples if you are successful. A possible alternative to work following when it gets split up in 8 different directions. Keep us posted
please!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I am also curious as to the outcome, Sober. You are in Western Conference as I am. The outcome may impact us, though at this moment I don't know what my Southwest riders say.

ups1990

Sober, we might feel the ripple affects down here in So Cal with what you're attempting to accomplish. What UPS is currently demanding from its centers as it relates to route cutting will in the future, end in a matter that both parties will not like.More and more drivers are on the 9.5 list and will soon file grievances, drivers who were more than happy to go home(a big problem) will now demand 8hrs of work. The Union and UPS, I believe at a crossroads. While UPS is demanding more, the love for this company by its workforce is dwindling even by its hard core, faithful, loyal workers.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I am also curious as to the outcome, Sober. You are in Western Conference as I am. The outcome may impact us, though at this moment I don't know what my Southwest riders say.

The relevant language is in Art 6 Section 2 of the Western Region Supplement, the pertininent part of which I quote..

"....a permanent vacancy shall be described as an area that is delivered three (3) days a week for a thirty (30) day period, excluding extra areas established during peak season....

....When a drivers assigned delivery area is permanently changed by fifty percent (50%) or more of its delivery stops, said driver shall have the right to follow the major portion of the delivery area. When more than one (1) driver's delivery area is affected, those affected drivers shall be afforded the opportunity amongst themselves to bid the areas affected in accordance with their seniority."

My bid route has been "permanently" eliminated for an average of 3 days a week over the last 30 days. Therefore, the bid drivers of the individual routes that have been "affected" by absorbing my work, along with myself, will re-bid those routes amongst ourselves in seniority order.

The only people affected are those who run the routes that my work is being given to. In my case, we have 7 bid drivers with a total of 6 "permanent" routes between them. I am 3rd in seniority among the 7 drivers, and its my route that is getting cut out, so the end result when we are done bidding amongst ourselves is that someone with less seniority than me will wind up being the one without a route.

I dont see how this would affect any other centers or parts of the country. If you are in the Western Region, you are protected under the same language.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Thanks Sober, for the info. I am not affected as I don't have a rte but we have 1 driver who's rte has been all but cut permanently. It's been split up between 2 other drivers. Still need to look at SW rider and Local rider to make sure the language isn't different.

Last edited: