Route Drivers never DR'ing to keep stop count down

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I've never heard of a driver being held financially liable for a claim. If UPS tried that, I have to imagine any driver would threaten to never DR again.
LP tried to get me to pay once when I was a newish driver for some stuff that got rained on. The steward in with me told them we'd have to talk to our BA. They never bothered me again about it. Had they pushed the issue I would have stopped releasing.

Per an attorney on my route an employer can't force you to pay for something that was stolen by someone else as many courts have ruled it's a cost of doing business if a carrier chooses to have the practice of delivering without a signature. The only issue is that sometimes a labor contact can supersede certain legal precedents and laws.

I haven't looked at the language in the contract in quite a while but I remember that it says it has to be over $100 and that an employee can't be both disciplined (suspension, etc) and be forced to pay. So I don't think it specifically says "a driver shall reimburse..." so it would be interesting if it went to court.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
We had a driver just this passed past week get in trouble for not DRing on a route he covers sometime. The route driver came to me on Wednesday and said she wasn't going to be their there on Thursday and wanted me to do her route. Because she hates the cover driver that covers her route. I've done her route a few times and she told me how to run the route, if you follow EDD you will be out their there all night. I followed her instructions and bring in the air every time. The other cover he brings back two shelves of send agains.

My route I have ten apartment buildings (in the projects)I can not DR anything because they will steal the packages. I go out everyday with 140 to 150 stops. End up finishing between 6:30 or 7PM

You cannot get in trouble for not DR'ing a package (unless it's a shipper release). It is 100% driver discretion as to under what circumstances to dr a package.

sportsjock

This route you can DR!! Most of the apartment buildings the manager takes all the packages. He does this with every route he takes out. Then always call for help

sportsjock

I agree! and that's why his a** stays in the office, and he wonders why he's getting harassed. I'm mean if that's what you want to spend 10-12 hours doing then don't complain about the consequences. Even though we all know UPS breaks rules all the time. I'd rather have a piece of mind then being harassed everyday.

Last edited:

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
And that's why his a** stays in the office, and he wonders why he getting harassed. I'm mean if that's what you want to spend 10-12 hours doing then don't complain about the consequences. Even though we all know UPS breaks rules all the time. I'd rather have a piece of mind then being harassed everyday.

What consequences?? You cannot be disciplined for choosing not to DR a package, I don't care what management says. They can ride you if they want, but nothing can REALLY come from it

Dr.Brownz

I'm a cover driver and constantly see routes with envelopes and small parcels with service crosses that can very safely be released. Pisses me off cause when I get put on a split route it's always blowed out cause of antics said above. Is this a normal practice for veterans? I just feel like you should do the job and stop gaming the system. Rant over, let the backlash begin.

When you have your own route you will understand. You work hard one day and the next week you will be be completely overloaded. Go at an even pace and NEVER come in with less than 8.5 hours on the clock, unless you have been doing the route for 20 years. You will inevitably get more work "just 10 quick stops" off this section. Pretty soon that section is one of your regular areas. Pretty soon you need to take 10 more "really tight resi stops"........Saturation dispatch is the buzzword that UPS management has created. They push you as far as they can until you are coming in too late, and then they back off just a little bit. The only way to win is to NOT WORK HARDER when you have more work. If you run one day, have fun running for the rest of your career, which if you are a runner will be very short (by that I mean 4-9 years). The wisest thing I've ever heard is that this job is not a race, it's a marathon. Work at a comfortable pace

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I totally agree with everything you said. I'm still a rookie and realize this. I want to state I'm not dr ing everything like an a-hole. Just saying that there are stops that can be clearly be released safely, and it's frustrating for us cover drivers to have 3 to 4 zip codes on our truck. After my 160th stop by 3pm, it's hard to have the desire to get a signature for every stop. I don't want to be out til 10 or 1030 to have them ease up. But what you're saying seems like I might have to for a couple weeks. And you're totally right, it's a marathon not a sprint.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Go back to your part time classification and stop over thinking the big boys' job. Sounds like you'd make a good on road supv. Why not ask the driver, like a man, instead of assuming things, here on the internet?

rod

Retired 22 years
I've never heard of a driver being held financially liable for a claim. If UPS tried that, I have to imagine any driver would threaten to never DR again.

It used to be fairly common to attempt to hold the driver financially responsible for a bad DR. Sometimes they were even successful. There wasn't too much you could do about it if you were really to blame. You had better have a good story as to why you did it if you expected any backing from the union.

sportsjock

Only thing I DR are Shipper Release Packages and OW's. A few of my customers (big hitters) that get packages literally EVERYDAY filled out a electronic signature on file that I have and keep copies of, and I gave the Union and Center copies as well. Just to CMA!! This allows me to leave packages that require a signature. So when they have a package that need a signature I just print SOF as the signature and deliver the package in their garage or the delivery point I have key access too. When I head out on vacation I let them know, I will be out and their will be someone else covering the route and they don't have and want have the access I have. So don't trip if you miss a few packages. I got hipped very quickly to the DR vs Signature game. Rookies always ask how is your over allowed always minus.

Best thing a veteran driver told me when I was a rookie: He said listen blood UPS will push you as far as they can. "BUT" if you plan to be around for the next 20 or so years, you have to quarterback your own game. That is my daily motto.

Griff

If UPS can claim your DR was unsafe and the value was over $100 they can make you pay for it.

Have never ever heard of this. The day the union allows the company to fine me payment for a followup is the very last day I will ever be driver releasing packages. My entire route will become signature required. The entire driver release system was created by UPS simply to increase stop count and lower time allowances. My entire route used to be signature only years ago.