Route goes unbid, who gets forced onto route?

There is currently a bid sheet up for a route in our center and it appears that no one wants the route due to having some pick ups that are late. Some drivers say the coverage driver with most seniority is forced onto it and others say its the coverage driver with the least seniority is forced. I cant find any info online and I'm not sure where I placed my union handbook. Just seeing if anyone else knew how this is handled or how it was handled in their center.

Thanks. That's what makes sense, but most of the drivers at our center and one supervisor believe its the highest seniority. Was this maybe the policy in previous contract or could this vary from local to local?

I guess I never thought about the highest part-timer signing it. If you couldn't guess I am the highest seniority coverage driver and would like to stay that way.

iruhnman630

Is the only reason people are not bidding on it is because of late pickups? If so, bid on it and file a 9.5.
Bidding on a late-pickup, high-paid day route might negate 9.5 rules. Otherwise they might just make it a late-start route to meet 9.5.

No thanx. If I'm giving up my evenings I expect my paycheck to reflect that.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
In my building we have a few routes that have late scheduled pickups. They have later scheduled start times. Also the drivers make more an hour due to some rule that states that since they start later they get split differential pay.

The route in question does start late in order to stay under 9.5. Its weird that almost everyone in our center believes the highest coverage driver gets force onto it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The route in question does start late in order to stay under 9.5. Its weird that almost everyone in our center believes the highest coverage driver gets force onto it.

Its like a 4th move giveaway. You get first rights to the route but you have the right to refuse the route and pass it down to the guy under u. So on and so forth.

upsgrunt

In our center, it would go to the highest seniority driver without a bid route. You are assigned your first route and can bid off at the first opportunity. If you bid a route, there is a 6 month minimum before you can bid off it.

stink219

I cant find any info online and I'm not sure where I placed my union handbook.
Here is your master contract:
http://www.teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/Master_UPS_Agreement.pdf
Supplement is here:
http://www.teamster.org/content/download-national-master-united-parcel-service-ups-agreement-and-regional-supplemental