RPCD Full Time to Part Time

UPSer_BC

1. How long before I can switch to part time?
2. What would the hours be?
3. Are there any disadvantages besides making less money?
4. Would I still be a part of the union?
5. Would I still receive my benefits?

542thruNthru

1. How long before I can switch to part time?
2. What would the hours be?
3. Are there any disadvantages besides making less money?
4. Would I still be a part of the union?
5. Would I still receive my benefits?
Wait... I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

You're full-time RPCD and want to become a part-time worker?

Why?

unloady

Hours are too long...I come home around 9-10pm and have no family time at all. Work is important but so is my family...
Can you support your family at $14.50 an hour, on 20 hours a week? Are you fine with loading/unloading trucks? Can you wait 9 months for benefits to kick in? If the answer is yes then you should be able to quit and get re hired as a part timer.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
There's no contractual way to do it, ie, you can't sign a bid sheet to go back to part time. Unless you have a friend in upper management who's willing to stick his neck out a little bit and pull some strings you're out of luck.

quad decade guy

There's no contractual way to do it, ie, you can't sign a bid sheet to go back to part time. Unless you have a friend in upper management who's willing to stick his neck out a little bit and pull some strings you're out of luck.
This^ is EXACTLY RIGHT.

Adding Local Union agreement.

I would say just about anything is possible.

I saw it in Automotive....with guys I worked directly with....matter of fact: them going full to part-time allowed me to go full-time.

Mgt. and the Union have to agree. Problem is.....once that Pandora's Box is opened....

Never say never.....but you might wait your whole career and never get there....

Local deals are cut all the time.....most you don't know about. And you will be told....."This is one time only" or "his case was special"....Indeed.

Whither

Scofflaw
I don’t have 4 years of seniority
Does your building have 22.4s? If so, here's the language from Article 22.4 paragraph 12:

"Article 37, Section 1 (b) and (c) shall not apply to 22.4 combination drivers. In those buildings in which the Company creates 22.4 combination jobs to cover weekend deliveries, Article 37 Section 1 (c) 9.5 protections shall apply to all seniority RPCDs regardless of the route they hold or number of years of seniority."

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Can you support your family at $14.50 an hour, on 20 hours a week? Are you fine with loading/unloading trucks? Can you wait 9 months for benefits to kick in? If the answer is yes then you should be able to quit and get re hired as a part timer.
That stimmy bill? Did some things for that.

35years

Gravy route
Does your building have 22.4s? If so, here's the language from Article 22.4 paragraph 12:

"Article 37, Section 1 (b) and (c) shall not apply to 22.4 combination drivers. In those buildings in which the Company creates 22.4 combination jobs to cover weekend deliveries, Article 37 Section 1 (c) 9.5 protections shall apply to all seniority RPCDs regardless of the route they hold or number of years of seniority."
Just to be clear....
Even if you don't have 22.4s in bldg. most can get on the 9.5 list even if you don't have 4 years in. The OP can search the forum for the conditions when this is true... or read the contract.

Whither

Scofflaw
Just to be clear....
Even if you don't have 22.4s in bldg. most can get on the 9.5 list even if you don't have 4 years in. The OP can search the forum for the conditions when this is true... or read the contract.
Yes, if the OP's building has no 22.4s then Art 37.1 (c) language applies. (I asked about 22.4s first because the Art 37 language isn't as comprehensive, e.g., the case of unassigned RPCDs with less than 4 years.)

"Employees within the full-time driver classification shall be eligible for the protection of this Section provided: (1) the employee covers a route for a full week; (2) the employee bids or is assigned to cover a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the Employer; or (3) an employee with four (4) years of seniority as a full-time package driver."