RPCD that loads their own truck

PreTrippin’

Getting drunk and falling down
We have 3 satellite routes here . Those guys get the trailer brought out & load own car.. otherwise everyone in building has preloaders
Well from what I’ve heard this would be an mdu in a dirt lot with a pup or two brought every day. I have heard sometimes when things go wrong these guys don’t get out till noon. But you still start when you start so not sure if that’s a bad thing.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Well from what I’ve heard this would be an mdu in a dirt lot with a pup or two brought every day. I have heard sometimes when things go wrong these guys don’t get out till noon. But you still start when you start so not sure if that’s a bad thing.
Yea. I work at a medium sized building (≈400 drivers) so not too sure how extended centers operate… I’d love to load my own truck

Poop Head

Judge me.
We load our own trucks here cuz most of the preload just makes a heap of packages in the back half and behind each truck. Thankfully, its all scanned.

542thruNthru

Tuesday-Friday = mountain of 💩 behind truck
They've learned not to do that to some of us. When I show up and a bunch of packages are left on the slide to load. I take my sweet safe time loading them. Soon I'm leaving the building an hour late and my 9.5 is smacking management in the face as I honk the horn and wave driving out.

542thruNthru

It’s always been strange to me how worried they are about preload hours. Stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny.
It's because they know a lot of these drivers are like chickens with their heads cut off if they don't leave exactly on time. So they'll kill themselves to hurry up and load their trucks just to leave on time or 10 min late. It always amazes me how people freak out that they are going to have late air or get to their first stop late. That's the companies problem. Stop making it yours!

AKCoverMan

In our building we still load our own cars. We have 15 routes and we get two trailers spotted before start time (0915 Mon, 1000 T-friend). Two package cars come out from the hub with the last air volume about 45 mins later and take away the previous day pickup volume.

Reason for two of everything is that our “building” is actually two buildings side by side. In theory the volume is split by the routes in each building...in theory,

Company always complains that sort should “only take an hour” but you can count on one hand number of times that happens. Only one of the two buildings has scanner so send agains have to be moved by handcart across dirt (or snow and ice) parking lot between buildings. Don’t even get me started on add/cut moves between buildings. No moving belts we have rollers strung together and push packages down the line. No car level loading we climb in and out of cars. Queue the Theme Song to Gillian’s Island: “It’s primitive as can be!”

During peak we had PVD volume in both buildings as well but the temps were not scheduled till after sort so we had to sort and stack all their volume as well. Was taking close to three hours we were getting out at 1300. Management was going nuts. Don’t know how they thought we could load and sort twive the volume in less time with same number of bodies, Volume was rolling everyday and that just slowed process further, Finally they decided it was ok for the PVDs to come in early and help us and we got caught up after about a week. We spent three saturdays in a row coming in to pre-preload for Monday morning, Six FTs all getting 8OT to work about two hours.

One big result of loading our own cars is we had 195 9.5 and 8hour grieves in our little operation this past year, eclipsing the hub with over three times as may cars. Seems our routes still count as a full route toward the “stops per car” metric even though we are spending 15% more or less of our day as a preloader.

Appvol

I run a satellite route. Start time is 10. Usually get done loading the truck at 11. Go out start the route get my pickups back to the trailer by 5 and go back out finish the day.

AKCoverMan

It’s always been strange to me how worried they are about preload hours. Stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny.
When I worked in hub where there was preload, I had a preload sup tell me in all seriously that it didn’t matter to him that poor loads equals extra OT for Drivers on road. “That doesn't effect my numbers; it’s someone else’s problem.” If I was center manager I’d have fired him on spot.

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
It's because they know a lot of these drivers are like chickens with their heads cut off if they don't leave exactly on time. So they'll kill themselves to hurry up and load their trucks just to leave on time or 10 min late. It always amazes me how people freak out that they are going to have late air or get to their first stop late. That's the companies problem. Stop making it yours!
This is so true. The guy next to me (a 30 yr driver) is exactly like this. I purposely hold him up in the morning just to see his head explode trying to figure out how he is going to get his air off.

PreTrippin’

Getting drunk and falling down
In our building we still load our own cars. We have 15 routes and we get two trailers spotted before start time (0915 Mon, 1000 T-friend). Two package cars come out from the hub with the last air volume about 45 mins later and take away the previous day pickup volume.

Reason for two of everything is that our “building” is actually two buildings side by side. In theory the volume is split by the routes in each building...in theory,

Company always complains that sort should “only take an hour” but you can count on one hand number of times that happens. Only one of the two buildings has scanner so send agains have to be moved by handcart across dirt (or snow and ice) parking lot between buildings. Don’t even get me started on add/cut moves between buildings. No moving belts we have rollers strung together and push packages down the line. No car level loading we climb in and out of cars. Queue the Theme Song to Gillian’s Island: “It’s primitive as can be!”

During peak we had PVD volume in both buildings as well but the temps were not scheduled till after sort so we had to sort and stack all their volume as well. Was taking close to three hours we were getting out at 1300. Management was going nuts. Don’t know how they thought we could load and sort twive the volume in less time with same number of bodies, Volume was rolling everyday and that just slowed process further, Finally they decided it was ok for the PVDs to come in early and help us and we got caught up after about a week. We spent three saturdays in a row coming in to pre-preload for Monday morning, Six FTs all getting 8OT to work about two hours.

One big result of loading our own cars is we had 195 9.5 and 8hour grieves in our little operation this past year, eclipsing the hub with over three times as may cars. Seems our routes still count as a full route toward the “stops per car” metric even though we are spending 15% more or less of our day as a preloader.
This was very informative thank you. So when you get out at 1300 with a 9 hour dispatch what do you do?

AKCoverMan

This was very informative thank you. So when you get out at 1300 with a 9 hour dispatch what do you do?
Step one: weep.

Step two: deliver. If can’t get it all done I try to prioritize business customers, UPS Critical medical shipments, obvious perishables, and anything that was missed day before. In our local we have a 2130 curfew after which we are not required to continue trying to deliver. Occasionally during this past peak I pushed later for my customers and so i wouldn’t have to deal with same volume again next day.