RTD Guy's let's hear how life is

Csdsm18

Hey yall looking to hear about everyone's experience that is a ramp transport driver. How are things working out with it, you getting hours and OT? Would you consider transfering to maybe Fedex Freight or UPS? Are you guys living comfortably with what your making? I'm up in the east coast on step 4, have 2 drivers leaving for freight but I can't do that going in blind. I have 6 more years to top out but idk if it's worth waiting or jumping ship. What's your guys opinions that are RTD? Thanks

Serf

I'm not an RTD but I deal with them on a daily basis. In the Northeast. Literally revolving door. They are having a tremendously hard time getting drivers and them staying. They all work Tue-Sat or Sun-Thu. Many of them come in on that Monday or Friday for OT. You can spot one from a mile away compared to a veteran driver. They can't back up a trailer that well.

zeev

Hey yall looking to hear about everyone's experience that is a ramp transport driver. How are things working out with it, you getting hours and OT? Would you consider transfering to maybe Fedex Freight or UPS? Are you guys living comfortably with what your making? I'm up in the east coast on step 4, have 2 drivers leaving for freight but I can't do that going in blind. I have 6 more years to top out but idk if it's worth waiting or jumping ship. What's your guys opinions that are RTD? Thanks
I assume you are part time in training,congratulations you picked a great time to become a cdl A driver. Demand is huge out there, most new drivers get trained than leave for greener pastures,more money more hours. Many companies are addlng their own fleets to guarantee themselves drivers. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Csdsm18

Yes I can kinda see that possibly cause of the hours they give and not much OT on any of the routes anymore. I hear they get the training and leave. I just don't know if I wanna yet. Tues-sat does suck and coming in on your day off for OT is not any better either. If the routes had OT built into them that's another story I wouldn't mind that. That's how it should be.

Csdsm18

Usually those Walmart guys are OTR. I wanna be local. I'm also full time getting my 40hrs i would just like to get some OT weekly. I know of other companies but they don't seem to come as high as Express with 32.25hr besides UPS.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Usually those Walmart guys are OTR. I wanna be local. I'm also full time getting my 40hrs i would just like to get some OT weekly. I know of other companies but they don't seem to come as high as Express with 32.25hr besides UPS.
Uh, distribution center to store is local, which is the majority of the drivers.

Csdsm18

So anyway back on topic. Anybody else have advice? Did anyone transfer out to a different company and they are doing much better? Any advice would be nice. Thanks

fedex_rtd

Most DGO drivers are afraid of driving a CTV, most of the new hires are either young guys and girls from the ramps, or off the street.

Our part time drivers get called in to do FT routes all the time. Some of our FT drivers are getting 44 to 48 hours in a 5 day Mon-Fri work week.