RTD Guy's let's hear how life is

Oldfart

Those are good tools bit they make too many unrealistic assumptions.
How so, they only give you answers based on the numbers you input. They assume nothing.

You expect 3% return and take out $1000 a month, it tells you how long 100k will last. If you put in unrealistic %'s, it will give you unrealistic assumptions. The numbers it gives you are ONLY as realistic as the numbers you insert.

These sites do nothing a simple calculator wouldn't do but much quicker. You might not have entered some figures correctly if the answers looked inflated.

Last edited:
How so, they only give you answers based on the numbers you input. They assume nothing.

You expect 3% return and take out $1000 a month, it tells you how long 100k will last. If you put in unrealistic %'s, it will give you unrealistic assumptions. The numbers it gives you are ONLY as realistic as the numbers you insert.

These sites do nothing a simple calculator wouldn't do but much quicker. You might not have entered some figures correctly if the answers looked inflated.
It doesn't account for Black Swann events. That's the wildcard
If you retire in an up market those numbers are more accurate but if you have the misfortune of retirore on a few years of a down market, it's a completely different story.

Oldfart

It doesn't account for Black Swann events. That's the wildcard
If you retire in an up market those numbers are more accurate but if you have the misfortune of retirore on a few years of a down market, it's a completely different story.
Once again. You input the numbers. All the website does is base its calculations on the numbers and % you put in. I guess you have never read the disclaimer Schwab or Vanguard give you. FUTURE earnings are not guaranteed. There are no guarantees on any investments. All you can do is base your calculations on past performance and a conservative estimate for future earnings.

Csdsm18

Well I finally signed up for access to see your 401k and pension funds. Something doesn't seem right though, it's saying if I contribute x amount more monthly I would retire with 5000 monthly and that's just from my 401k. That doesn't seem right at all. To me that's a hefty amount.

Nolimitz

X= what? over how many years till you retire? :boat: Maybe you should see a planner rather than asking a bunch of truck drivers on the internet...:devil2:

Csdsm18

Hmm have the ability to put in for a route that gets about 6hrs OT a week thing is it's Sun-Thurs overnights. I now am I overnight float. Trying to get a earlier start, but God knows how much longer that'll take. Thinking about taking it idk yet. Any thoughts?

zeev

Nights are an acquired taste many people love them and ot hours are easy to accumulate on rtd runs or your day off.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

Actually, if you read the fine print, in calculating your income (for 401k calculations) they assume a 45 hour work week.

Oldfart

Csdsm18

My station just had 4 people jump ship to either ups or fedex freight. Think express needs to do something or else they are gonna keep losing drivers.

McFeely

Huge Member
My station just had 4 people jump ship to either ups or fedex freight. Think express needs to do something or else they are gonna keep losing drivers.

We're at one of the highest turnover rates I've ever seen at my current station. Something like 30% (or more) since peak of 2017. The payscale isn't convincing enough to deal with bad management.

vantexan

We're at one of the highest turnover rates I've ever seen at my current station. Something like 30% (or more) since peak of 2017. The payscale isn't convincing enough to deal with bad management.
If I could snag a sweet domiciled route with that new payscale I'd be happy. Working with a bunch of angry people in a large city at my age, no way.