RTD Guy's let's hear how life is

Csdsm18

Most DGO drivers are afraid of driving a CTV, most of the new hires are either young guys and girls from the ramps, or off the street.

Our part time drivers get called in to do FT routes all the time. Some of our FT drivers are getting 44 to 48 hours in a 5 day Mon-Fri work week.
So for those that are FT are they happy with what they are getting money wise? Do they ever talk about going to different companies?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
So for those that are FT are they happy with what they are getting money wise? Do they ever talk about going to different companies?
Nope never
81zNpZ2YX-L._SL1500_.jpg

Serf

:thumbup: The second we go to a fully auto fleet & the offer letter says Mon-Fri 4am-4pm availability. I'm in. From what I've seen. I feel confident it will get to this point.

Csdsm18

Would anyone recommend going to freight? Anyone have pros and cons of the two express vs freight? As in work load, pay, hours?

Oldfart

You sure like to let it affect your life.

If Fred S had a crappy day at work and complained to his husband about it would your tiny universe collapse?
No collapse on my end. Unless my flight to New York Friday night gets delayed. I am going to the race in Long Pond Pa and I don't need any flight issues.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Hey yall looking to hear about everyone's experience that is a ramp transport driver. How are things working out with it, you getting hours and OT? Would you consider transferring to maybe Fedex Freight or UPS? Are you guys living comfortably with what your making? I'm up in the east coast on step 4, have 2 drivers leaving for freight but I can't do that going in blind. I have 6 more years to top out but idk if it's worth waiting or jumping ship. What's your guys opinions that are RTD? Thanks

That's a good question and one I've thought about myself. From what I've seen, UPS isn't hiring semi drivers, at least in my area. I've been checking for the past couple of years and those jobs never come up. Now if they did, would I take it? IDK. There's trade offs. If you work for UPS or FedEx Freight you're going to be working. Working hard. Compared to what I do now which is not work much (or at all) at times. I do get 40 hrs though. Express is so expensive that we don't have companies beating down our door wanting us to ship something for them. We only haul when they can't afford not to use Express (a factory shutdown, medical emergency, etc). So, we sit on call a lot! I usually only pick up 1-2 heavyweight items a couple of times a week. But I concluded that the few pickups I do more than pays my annual salary over the course of a year (probably double or triple what I make). But we do on call heavyweights and then go to stations in the late afternoon to get their courier packages. I'm assuming you do that too or something similar. Anyway, you could go to UPS or FedEx Freight and you'll either be driving 10 or 11 hours a day on a linehaul or be a local driver at Freight and have 12-15 pickups everyday taking up your whole day. I think I'm good with not making $40/hr like I would at UPS, but working my butt off. I make about half that, but also work 1/5th as much as they do. That's the trade off. If you're good with working hard and a lot, then I'd go with UPS/or FedEx Freight, etc. If you want to take it really easy and are okay with not making $75k-100K a year, stay at Express.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
That's a good question and one I've thought about myself. From what I've seen, UPS isn't hiring semi drivers, at least in my area. I've been checking for the past couple of years and those jobs never come up. Now if they did, would I take it? IDK. There's trade offs. If you work for UPS or FedEx Freight you're going to be working. Working hard. Compared to what I do now which is not work much (or at all) at times. I do get 40 hrs though. Express is so expensive that we don't have companies beating down our door wanting us to ship something for them. We only haul when they can't afford not to use Express (a factory shutdown, medical emergency, etc). So, we sit on call a lot! I usually only pick up 1-2 heavyweight items a couple of times a week. But I concluded that the few pickups I do more than pays my annual salary over the course of a year (probably double or triple what I make). But we do on call heavyweights and then go to stations in the late afternoon to get their courier packages. I'm assuming you do that too or something similar. Anyway, you could go to UPS or FedEx Freight and you'll either be driving 10 or 11 hours a day on a linehaul or be a local driver at Freight and have 12-15 pickups everyday taking up your whole day. I think I'm good with not making $40/hr like I would at UPS, but working my butt off. I make about half that, but also work 1/5th as much as they do. That's the trade off. If you're good with working hard and a lot, then I'd go with UPS/or FedEx Freight, etc. If you want to take it really easy and are okay with not making $75k-100K a year, stay at Express.
i find it hard to believe that ups is not hiring in your area. We are hiring like crazy.
Also None of us do any work. We get paid to drive and listen to the radio. We just put in a lot of hours.