RTD Guy's let's hear how life is

Oldfart

If it's in the plan you aren't touching the principle or the interest. Take the principle out of the plan and you have to put it at risk to get 4% these days, and will still have it tied up and not getting access to the $300k. But it's a moot point because for much of your FedEx career the percentage deposited annually won't build up much principle. You really have to move up to senior manager level or above and work a long time to have anything. The portable will never pay what the traditional did which is exactly why they went to it. And you don't have the option to leave with a pension at 55. The company really doesn't want a lot of topped out employees anyways and is counting on worn out 15 year couriers eyeing that portable pension lump sum and deciding to take it and go do something else. Person may start at 22, but will have to work until at least 67 and hope SS is still there and have to save religiously in their 401k which means no long weekends going to NASCAR and football games. If they spend their income having a life they'll have a very poor retirement. And don't tell me otherwise because you have a full traditional pension and they won't.
You leave the money in the Portable. Doesn't have to be moved and you get 4% risk free. It has gotten 4% from day 1. You won't get rich on 4% but when you retire, 4% risk free is very inviting.

vantexan

A courier starting out gets how much put into his account? 3%? Let's say his first year he makes $40k. That's $1200 plus 1% of balance every quarter. How long until he moves up into the next bracket? How long until he has anything that amounts to something? At least they're topping out a lot sooner now. Imagine a courier hired in 2003 when newhires were first being put in portable pension(or was it 2004?). He got hired at 24, and at 34 has how much, about $20k? The only way he'll build his account into anything is to go into management and move up the chain and work a very long time.

Oldfart

A courier starting out gets how much put into his account? 3%? Let's say his first year he makes $40k. That's $1200 plus 1% of balance every quarter. How long until he moves up into the next bracket? How long until he has anything that amounts to something? At least they're topping out a lot sooner now. Imagine a courier hired in 2003 when newhires were first being put in portable pension(or was it 2004?). He got hired at 24, and at 34 has how much, about $20k? The only way he'll build his account into anything is to go into management and move up the chain and work a very long time.
No idea the % they invest and when they go up or down. I have been at 8% for a number of years. I know at 1 time I was at 12%, then 10%. I would still rather take my chances on 40+ years of Portable over the Traditional. Just like when Lottery winners take the lump sum over monthly payments. Might be less money but it is there right now. Just my personal choice. Not the same for everyone.

Oldfart

I had fun every race I went to there. Depending on where you are sitting you can’t really see a lot of the track.
I figured the view was limited. We have been to all of the small tracks and love that. You miss nothing and can hear and smell the action. Just want to add another track to our list. Next I am gonna try Michigan and Eldora truck race next year. Leave the Kentucky race and head to Ohio and watch the trucks on dirt.

vantexan

No idea the % they invest and when they go up or down. I have been at 8% for a number of years. I know at 1 time I was at 12%, then 10%. I would still rather take my chances on 40+ years of Portable over the Traditional. Just like when Lottery winners take the lump sum over monthly payments. Might be less money but it is there right now. Just my personal choice. Not the same for everyone.
That's just it you were topped out and in highest bracket. Courier who was new hire when it started in 2003 might have $35k today, 15 years later. New hire today might have $50k in 15 years since he'll top out faster. The portable pension plan is weighted on the back end, and still won't pay what the traditional paid for couriers. And you don't have the option to quit early without being severely penalized.

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
I figured the view was limited. We have been to all of the small tracks and love that. You miss nothing and can hear and smell the action. Just want to add another track to our list. Next I am gonna try Michigan and Eldora truck race next year. Leave the Kentucky race and head to Ohio and watch the trucks on dirt.
Richmond and Dover were great tracks. I would really like to go to a Bristol night race sometime. I haven't gone to a race in years.

Oldfart

Richmond and Dover were great tracks. I would really like to go to a Bristol night race sometime. I haven't gone to a race in years.
Went to Richmond last year. Believe it might have the best infrastructure of any track. Great parking, plenty of exits for when you leave. Located in a huge fairgrounds complex. Great views of the track. Been to Bristol several times. The main complaint is the hotel situation. Paying $300 a night for a hotel 35 miles from the track sucks. We used a VRBO last time. Much cheaper. Haven't done New Hampshire or Dover., YET

fedex_rtd

Neither is the traditional. I had 25 years in the traditional and will get about $2000 a month, depending on how I take it. I can't live on 2k because I was stupid and did not properly plan for my retirement by paying off my mortgage. I wasted several years after 25 in the Traditional because that was the max years. If I had 25 more years in my Portable, I imagine I would be sitting on 300k, maybe more. That is drawing 4% annually. Personally I would rather have 300k drawing 4% than getting $2000 a month.

Damn boy you suck at math...you would rather take 300k drawing 4% than getting $2000 a month. No wonder you are in love with the portable pension, your just too dumb to know how to do basic math. 300,000 at 4% is 12,000 divide that by 12 gets you $1000 per month...Myself, I would rather have the $2000 traditional.

Oldfart

Damn boy you suck at math...you would rather take 300k drawing 4% than getting $2000 a month. No wonder you are in love with the portable pension, your just too dumb to know how to do basic math. 300,000 at 4% is 12,000 divide that by 12 gets you $1000 per month...Myself, I would rather have the $2000 traditional.
Ask a 5th grader to show you the math. You are thinking interest only. What about the 300k principle? 300k drawing 4% taking out 2k a month will last 18 years. If you pass away after 15 years, your kids or whomever will get 50k left over from that 300k. If you draw 2k per month and pass away after 15 years, your kids get NOTHING. I will take the 300k myself. Others might jump at 2k per month. Either way, just using it as an example.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Jesus is there anything to look forward to for us new hires when we retire lol? I was hoping I do my time and I have a nice lil pension built up guess it doesn't look that way.
Unfortunately you’re at least 30-35 years too late for anything even resembling that.

vantexan

Ask a 5th grader to show you the math. You are thinking interest only. What about the 300k principle? 300k drawing 4% taking out 2k a month will last 18 years. If you pass away after 15 years, your kids or whomever will get 50k left over from that 300k. If you draw 2k per month and pass away after 15 years, your kids get NOTHING. I will take the 300k myself. Others might jump at 2k per month. Either way, just using it as an example.
If only the portable plan would give $300k to couriers. It won't. And currently CD's don't pay 4%. You can leave money in portable earning 4% but you can't draw on it or principle. To get at money you have to roll it over into another vehicle. If annuity your principle is locked in. Could put it into mutual fund but you'll roll with the market. May earn 8% or more annually but then a crash could lose you 30-50% of your principle which would be disastrous to your finances. I'll take the traditional pension.

fedx

Extra Large Package
i find it hard to believe that ups is not hiring in your area. We are hiring like crazy.
Also None of us do any work. We get paid to drive and listen to the radio. We just put in a lot of hours.

True story. The only openings in my area is for package handlers. There has only been 1 or maybe 2 package car driver positions show up in the past few years and 0 feeder driver job openings. Also, you do work hard. Harder than we work. Yes you drive and listen to the radio, but we RTDs can go and sit somewhere while on call. We also drive and listen to the radio, but no nearly as much as you do. BTW, does UPS ground have heavyweight drivers like FedEx? Drivers that drive locally to pick up skids over 150lbs? I know UPS Freight does, but does UPS ground do it too?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
True story. The only openings in my area is for package handlers. There has only been 1 or maybe 2 package car driver positions show up in the past few years and 0 feeder driver job openings. Also, you do work hard. Harder than we work. Yes you drive and listen to the radio, but we RTDs can go and sit somewhere while on call. We also drive and listen to the radio, but no nearly as much as you do. BTW, does UPS ground have heavyweight drivers like FedEx? Drivers that drive locally to pick up skids over 150lbs? I know UPS Freight does, but does UPS ground do it too?
We pick up customer loaded trailers or we do live loads where you have to use a pallet jack to put in the skids. Or the customer puts them in for you with a fork lift. We rarely touch a box

fedx

Extra Large Package
We pick up customer loaded trailers or we do live loads where you have to use a pallet jack to put in the skids. Or the customer puts them in for you with a fork lift. We rarely touch a box
So you do the same as FedEx heavyweights too. We also either load a skid with a pallet jack or let the customer use their forklift. But what I wondering is if UPS ground does heavyweight pickups (skid over 150lbs) like FedEx Express. Sounds like you do. So at UPS you could either be a feeder (linehaul) driver or a heavyweight pickup driver. There are two types of semi truck driver jobs at UPS ground correct?

Oldfart

If only the portable plan would give $300k to couriers. It won't. And currently CD's don't pay 4%. You can leave money in portable earning 4% but you can't draw on it or principle. To get at money you have to roll it over into another vehicle. If annuity your principle is locked in. Could put it into mutual fund but you'll roll with the market. May earn 8% or more annually but then a crash could lose you 30-50% of your principle which would be disastrous to your finances. I'll take the traditional pension.
Please learn what you are talking about before commenting. You can take monthly withdrawals from your Portable when that time comes and STILL get the 4% return on the principle as you withdraw it. I have been trading emails and phone calls with Retirement. I am gonna let the Portable sit as long as possible since it does not have an administrative fee once you retire and let it grow tax free and risk free for the time being.