Rumor at my Station

mcutrono

Heard today they are eliminating a bunch of night routes at my station, and are opening the DRA windows on the day routes to work 9+ hour days so that they can stay out there and do pickups. Nice to see Fedex sticking with its PSP philosophy (cough, cough)

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Heard today they are eliminating a bunch of night routes at my station, and are opening the DRA windows on the day routes to work 9+ hour days so that they can stay out there and do pickups. Nice to see Fedex sticking with its PSP philosophy (cough, cough)

If you mention the PSP Philosophy, they'll come back with, At least you still have a job, benefits and PPA.

Is it a rumor or a definite?

mcutrono

If you mention the PSP Philosophy, they'll come back with, At least you still have a job, benefits and PPA.

Is it a rumor or a definite?

Right now it's a rumor, no manager has said anything, but I did hear it from someone very reliable in my station. And they opened up with windows on the DRA to 1630 in about 90% of the routes

Purplepackage

Is this new for your station? I'm from a smaller station but honestly 9 hours is normal for most of us. There are guys who are doing strictly deliveries everyday until 5 (those routes have a pup route that starts at 3).

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Wait!

You might have to work 9+ hours?

Oh, the humanity!!

zep.jpg

mcutrono

Is this new for your station? I'm from a smaller station but honestly 9 hours is normal for most of us. There are guys who are doing strictly deliveries everyday until 5 (those routes have a pup route that starts at 3).

Yes it's new. Our station is huge. This is their solution to stop the turnover at night because they start the night rts at 1600 and people quit a week or 2 after the finish courier class

Purplepackage

I'm lucky to have 1 8 hour day a week

Monday's are a constant 12 hour day and usually Tuesday-Thursday are 10.5 sometimes I get lucky on Friday and only work 8.

Mainly because we are so short staffed right now that it's like peak in the summer. But it's money and I'm not complaining

Purplepackage

Yes it's new. Our station is huge. This is their solution to stop the turnover at night because they start the night rts at 1600 and people quit a week or 2 after the finish courier class

I assume the turn over is high becasue they start the routes as late as possible becasue they want those couriers to run to make pick ups on time

mcutrono

I'm lucky to have 1 8 hour day a week

Monday's are a constant 12 hour day and usually Tuesday-Thursday are 10.5 sometimes I get lucky on Friday and only work 8.

Mainly because we are so short staffed right now that it's like peak in the summer. But it's money and I'm not complaining

Im all for making money. But they dont communicate this to us. They try to hide all of it from us and it comes out in dribs and drabs. These managers have no backbone

mcutrono

I assume the turn over is high becasue they start the routes as late as possible becasue they want those couriers to run to make pick ups on time

Turnover is high because of that and the managers have piled more and more on these night rts. Some rts get 45 to 50 pups in high traffic areas in 2 towns

Purplepackage

Turnover is high because of that and the managers have piled more and more on these night rts. Some rts get 45 to 50 pups in high traffic areas in 2 towns

Yeah I know what you mean, the managers don't realize and don't care that doing 40-50 pups after 4 is extremely tough. Sure sometimes routes get 45 pups but when you are knocking off on calls from 11am it makes a huge difference

mcutrono

Yeah I know what you mean, the managers don't realize and don't care that doing 40-50 pups after 4 is extremely tough. Sure sometimes routes get 45 pups but when you are knocking off on calls from 11am it makes a huge difference
Without a doubt. I got a guy that does 4 day 10 hrs. He loves it because he gets all his pups throughout the day instead of being surprised by signing onto the night rt and seeing all the stops he drove passed.

Purplepackage

Without a doubt. I got a guy that does 4 day 10 hrs. He loves it because he gets all his pups throughout the day instead of being surprised by signing onto the night rt and seeing all the stops he drove passed.

Realistically though the guys doing the actually route should
Be getting a lot of the on calls for the guys doing the pup routes.

My favorite are Monday's where a route and then have to sign into a 4/10 pup route that is 20 minutes away basically running all day to make everything

ManInBrown

For what it's worth I am friendly with the Express driver on my route. He told me this morning they made an announcement that night routes or pickup routes, whatever they are called, were being eliminated and the day drivers were getting all pickups but letter boxes. He was asking me if we have night routes at UPS and I told him no. We get the pickups

*****cleared*****

At my station a driver basically refuses to go get a oncall pickup and will have it sent to the night pup route. Just basically a bunch of worthless people who refuse to do more then what they leave the building with unless a manager makes them. Don't know how my managers deal with some of these people on a day to day basis.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

For what it's worth I am friendly with the Express driver on my route. He told me this morning they made an announcement that night routes or pickup routes, whatever they are called, were being eliminated and the day drivers were getting all pickups but letter boxes. He was asking me if we have night routes at UPS and I told him no. We get the pickups

In larger cities there are drivers who sweep drop boxes up to as late as 9 pm.