rumor mill

Work right slow and safe

I was told last night that ups is talking with the union about layoffs
per ups we have a choice to make we can take the raise feb 1 and they will have a huge layoff or we can not take the raise and it will be a very small layoff this should happend sometime next week :devil3:

kingOFchester

per ups we have a choice to make we can take the raise feb 1 and they will have a huge layoff or we can not take the raise and it will be a very small layoff this should happend sometime next week :devil3:

Take a rumor with a grain of salt.
I heard Obama was the answer..........

If this is true, I certainly hope that the union spends a little more time getting EVRY DETAIL in writing. Unlike what they did with the agreement we are currently working under.

They would need to define (huge vs small) one mans perspective of huge could be small. Just ask your wives!!

dillweed

I may be way off base here but it seems that a downturn in the economy is going to mean layoffs in all types of businesses.

As unfortunate as it is, if those laid off are chosen by seniority there is nothing the union can do about it.

I respect the union for what it can do for us but it just can't dictate a need for employees when there is none.

As far as the raise, we voted on that contract and it was put into place. At this point there seems no reason to deny us the raise.

Our center has a voluntary lay off sheet posted every day. Those who can afford days off are welcome to sign it. Those of us who cannot, don't.

kingOFchester

DW
At first read I had your same thought.
But, If I have interpreted the post correctly, then UPS is coming to the union and basically saying "We are going to have huge lay offs, which we can do under the contract, however we would have less of a layoff if the union would agree not to take the raise."
UPS would only offer that IF they could save more $$$
However, I still doubt that they are in talks.

nervIS

If a businesses can't sell products, they can't ship products. Since UPS doesn't make anything, we are at the mercy of the producers. Less products being sold = less need for shipping = less need for employees at a shipping company.

Its pretty damn simple, union or not. If the money isn't coming in, you can't pay people. Some will have to be let go, contract or no contract. If concessions need to be made for the good of everyone in the company, then it is time to step up and think of the company that pays your wages, not the union you belong to.

The basic question is - would you rather work for the same wage next month, or be laid off, hoping for that call to come back to work that might never be made?

dillweed

You may be correct King, and I see your point. There may be something in place that would allow the union to make such a decision.

Many of us are hurting now and it isn't looking up yet, possibly not for a long time. Our center is having a hard time keeping us busy for our minimum 3.5 hours. Last year we were getting 5 hours if we were willing to stay and porter. I'm personally down over $100 per week. This times 4 weeks equals a house payment.

Do I care about my fellow employees? I don't mind giving up the "wants" but I'll fight for my needs.

Most of you are drivers who have worked so hard and sacrificed so much for your careers. For you I hope you've been able to save money and feel secure. You deserve it. For myself, I'm part time, not really a full UPSer and my family scratches and picks because I wasn't strong enough to make driver. So please forgive my selfishness.

Big Babooba

Has this rumor been cleared by the Feeder News Network?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Since people will be layed off anyways, I vote we keep the raises. I don't want to take a cut in pay because someone is getting layed off. Sorry just keeping it real. Anyone layed off will enjoy those raises when they get back. I haven't heard this rumor where I am either.

Dillweed? You have a $400.00 mortgage?

kingOFchester

Since people will be layed off anyways, I vote we keep the raises. I don't want to take a cut in pay because someone is getting layed off. Sorry just keeping it real. Anyone layed off will enjoy those raises when they get back. I haven't heard this rumor where I am either.

I don't think so. He/she said down 100.00. DW has been with UPS for 15-17 years?? Not sure if I remember that correctly. Not sure what a 15 year PT vet makes anyway.

My personal guestimate would be 900+. Just taking a 3.5 day vs a 5hr day and brining 100.00 less a week, brings you to around 900+ a month take home.

YES, I am bored.

kingOFchester

She said down $100/week and 4 times that equals a house payment.

I guess I am tired aswell as bored!
Thanks!

Wish I lived where you could get a house for that. Buth then again DW probably has had the house for many years.

My first house I bought 15 years ago had a 600.oo mortgage. X wife now lives in it with a zero mortgage. Must be nice.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I guess I am tired aswell as bored!
Thanks!

Wish I lived where you could get a house for that. Buth then again DW probably has had the house for many years.

My first house I bought 15 years ago had a 600.oo mortgage. X wife now lives in it with a zero mortgage. Must be nice.

You have kids too?

FAVREFAN

That wouldn't even cover my real estate tax portion.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
9 and 14....or should I say going on 16 and 28!!

Getting ready to go to the school play.
1.5 hours of "its a hard knock life".......

truth be told, I am more excited then they are. These are the years I will never be able to get back!

You said it, brother! Kids with the former Mrs or the current?

Just getting at the fact that if the mortgage is done on that end, your young'ns must be well taken care of.

Mine either, FavreFan.