rural NDA commits

wyobill

Since pass went in we now have NDA 12:00 commit time in rural areas.
Drivers have to abort trace adding huge miles to their routes. Not only are we delivering these premium service packages for free we have to be losing money on these deliveries. UPS has always operating on the ( blood out of a turnip syndrome). What would be the logic in these commit times. I have been retired for a month now and don't have to worry about it any more but as a share holder it dosent make much ($ Sense) :happy2:

over9five

Staff member
As a driver: Who cares, not MY company. Make the commit, how much money they waste is not my problem. In fact, I make more money this way in OT.

As a shareholder: Vote your shares. If enough do, you can make a change on the BOD.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Don't know what to tell you. I've had 12:00 commit times since I first started this run I'm on 4.5 years ago. I don't complain about breaking off. I just end up running the route different that day to accomodate my time and miles.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The commit time for air has nothing to do with PAS, it is mandated by Corporate. Some guy in a different time zone who has no concept of your delivery area except for what he can see on a map decides what time that air should be delivered.
About 5 years ago, some genius decided that my entire area should be changed from noon to 10:30...but without any air drivers or any adjustment to the dispatch. I was simply told to "make it work." It took a week of delivering them late and typing "impossible commit time" in the remarks column before management pulled their head out and got me some help.

The commit time for air has nothing to do with PAS, it is mandated by Corporate. Some guy in a different time zone who has no concept of your delivery area except for what he can see on a map decides what time that air should be delivered.
About 5 years ago, some genius decided that my entire area should be changed from noon to 10:30...but without any air drivers or any adjustment to the dispatch. I was simply told to "make it work." It took a week of delivering them late and typing "impossible commit time" in the remarks column before management pulled their head out and got me some help.
I think that if they did that here, I would deadhead out to the farthest one and start working my way back to the closest. That way I would be close to my original starting point to get back on trace.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
We have 12:00 and even 10:30 rural route commit times at our ctr.Of course no air drivers.If you went to my sup and told him there was no way to run all of your air,he will tell you to override the address so it wont show up late.I personally do whatever it takes to del mine on time,but the majority of our drivers simply override.I go by whats in the service guide.Its just a matter of time before this hits the fan at my center.Thats why Im keeping my nose clean.My sup wouldnt go to bat for me if the big boys questioned this practice.I cant understand it because he is absolutely terrified of upper mgmt.

25yrvet

Bill,
It started about 3 months ago in my neighborhood. I heard the reason was that FDX was doing it, so we had to also. We're a lot more successful at it than the 1 Fred ex driver that covers our 3 runs, but we have a couple late air nearly everyday.
I heard our favorite DM is gonna retire in the fall---you gonna take him fishin'?

over9five

Staff member
If you went to my sup and told him there was no way to run all of your air,he will tell you to override the address so it wont show up late.

Are you saying he does tell people this? This is a clear ethics violation. You have to find someone with a little integrity to make the call to Atlanta and report this. This sup is cheating our customers.
As a driver, we have to work as directed, but if I was directed to falsify a DIAD entry I would at least call the ethics hotline and make a complaint.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Are you saying he does tell people this? This is a clear ethics violation. You have to find someone with a little integrity to make the call to Atlanta and report this. This sup is cheating our customers.
As a driver, we have to work as directed, but if I was directed to falsify a DIAD entry I would at least call the ethics hotline and make a complaint.
its not about ethics anymore--its about making numbers

soberups

I think that if they did that here, I would deadhead out to the farthest one and start working my way back to the closest. That way I would be close to my original starting point to get back on trace.
That isnt really feasable if you are like me and pull a pup trailer. My first 4 stops are in the trailer, and I have to do them first. You cant drag a trailer thru a 200-square mile extended area and shag the air as you go. Of course, to the genius in the little room somewhere who came up with the bright idea for the 10:30 commit, those are just "minor details". All the roads look flat and paved on a map book.

Bloodybrown

You are correct, its wrong, the supervisor needs to go !

soberups

No its not, report the guy!
There is no way in hell I would ever report a sup to the ethics hotline. That hotline is set up by and operated by management. The better choice is to inform the union and file a grievance. I would trust my business agent to deal with the situation a lot more than I would trust an anonymous management person on the other end of a phone.

What'dyabringmetoday???

There is no way in hell I would ever report a sup to the ethics hotline. That hotline is set up by and operated by management. The better choice is to inform the union and file a grievance. I would trust my business agent to deal with the situation a lot more than I would trust an anonymous management person on the other end of a phone.
If you would never call the hotline, how do you know it is operated by management. The 800 number on the wall up our way works wonders. It is not management. It is an outside agency. Very prompt response time as well.

Bloodybrown

I don't care how you do it. If he's dirty he needs to be reported, if you tell the BA he will just go to the DM or labor manager and report it, as he should.

wyobill

Question for wyobill1956? Do you drive package out of the Laramie Wyoming Center?

Bill,
It started about 3 months ago in my neighborhood. I heard the reason was that FDX was doing it, so we had to also. We're a lot more successful at it than the 1 Fred ex driver that covers our 3 runs, but we have a couple late air nearly everyday.
?I heard our favorite DM is gonna retire in the fall---you gonna take him fishin'

I heard he's gonna retire in Sept. but I gave him your number for the fishing trip:happy2::happy2::happy2: